• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

Recent content by Arethusa

1. Arethusa

Books We Are Reading 2019 [merged]

I went to WorldCon the year it was up for a Hugo so I read it then (I read everything on the ballot in order to be fair to all the authors). Quite remarkable.
  2. Arethusa

Books We Are Reading 2019 [merged]

Just to note that T. Kingfisher is a pen-name of the inimitable Ursula Vernon.
  3. Arethusa

2019 Hugo Awards

John Scalzi, as usual, put it very well. https://whatever.scalzi.com/2019/08/20/jeannette-ng-john-w-campbell-and-what-should-be-said-by-whom-and-when/
  4. Arethusa

2019 Hugo Awards

Campbell was an enthusiastic proponent of gunning down student protesters against the Vietnam War, among other things. Campbell’s fascistic leanings have long been an open secret in the sci fi community. See Norman Spinrad’s 1972 book, “The Iron Dream.”
  5. Arethusa

That Time I Almost Wrote A BRP Vampire Game

It was definitely the zeitgeist. My college gaming group was playing things like Champions and Runequest and homebrews and right around 1988 all of a sudden we started getting a rash of new vampire and were-creature characters, necromancers and warlocks.
  6. Arethusa

2019 Hugo Awards

Sort of interesting how the reaction in fandom since last night seems to be about 75% YOU GO GIRL, 15% Yes we sure need to address our problematic history and maybe rename that award, 9% He was not neither a fascist and 1% GIT OFFA MAH LAWN YOU YOUNG PUNK WHIPPERSNAPPERS
  7. Arethusa

2019 Hugo Awards

Have you seen Jeanette Ng’s acceptance speech for the Campbell Award? Wow!
  8. Arethusa

RIP Barry Hughart, author of funniest damn Chinese historical fantasy ever

https://locusmag.com/2019/08/barry-hughart-1924-2019/ If you have not read the Chronicles of Master Li and Number Ten Ox you owe it to yourself to do so. They are wickedly funny fantasy adventure stories set in ancient China with ridiculous numbers of references to classical Chinese literature...
  9. Arethusa

RIP Richard Williams, “Roger Rabbit” animator and industry legend

https://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-49382175 A lot of people got into the industry because of him. He’s left quite a legacy.
  10. Arethusa

What about the Lankhmar books by Fritz Leiber?

For a moment I was wondering why I’ve never read the Fafhrd and the Grey Mouser stories despite their influence and many friends who like them, and then the Retro-Hugo ballot reminded me that Leiber wrote Conjure Wife.
  11. Arethusa

Tell me about your favorite tarot deck

And since I should probably answer the question of the thread, my favorite Tarot is (are) the original Visconzi-Sforza decks from the fifteenth century. They're magnificent little works of art showing the beginnings of the game and its solid grounding in Italian Renaissance Christian culture...
  12. Arethusa

Also it was Waite who changed what the Tarot was, removing or renaming its classic historic Christian symbolism and tacking on a lot of then-fashionable mysticism.
  13. Arethusa

Rider was the company that published that Tarot deck. Arthur Edward Waite wrote up what should be on the cards. Later (much later), people thought it might be worth giving a little credit to Pamela Colman Smith, the actual artist who designed and drew them.
  14. Arethusa

[Comics] R.I.P. Ernie Colon

He was one of the great comic artists of the twentieth century. I remember as a kid looking at his superhero work and thinking "Wait, did this guy draw 'Richie Rich'?" His work will be remembered.
Top Bottom