Recent content by ash adler

1. A

Introductory OSR adventure: Twisted Lovers

Wow, thanks for that! I haven't had a chance to read through all of it yet, but I had a quick skim and you raised some good points. Just to, uh, add a little substance to this post, though, a few quick notes: Regarding the use of "introductory", I meant it as both for new players to...
  2. A

2nd Edition AD&D-clone with 3rd/5th Edition SRD

Same link as before, repeated for convenience Proofreading pass done on the core chapters. Aside from general fixing of typos and poor text where I noticed them, changes include: Cleric sphere access revised to reduce overlap with Druid Full spell details finally transcribed Attack bonus...
  3. A

What if they *KNOW* the Sinister Secret?

If your concern is just about them knowing U1 (I don't know what 5E's Saltmarsh is like, but I know U2/U3 are a lot less popular than U1), you could ask those players about being in on the secret. Let them play characters who're actually part of the smuggling ring (either purposeful plants or...
  4. A

Introductory OSR adventure: Twisted Lovers

I made a few introductory adventures to go along with my retroclone here, and I decided to start converting them into stand-alone modules in a more system-neutral format after having done some playtest runs. Here's the first one: Twisted Lovers Anyway, what I'm looking for here is feedback...
  5. A

Thanks for the kind words :). Honestly, though, a lot of the credit should go towards my players for being so satisfying to GM for. 99% of my motivation for this is to do the best that I can for them. Speaking of which, I started up a new group with a couple of novice players at my day job...
  6. A

Thanks for the well-wishing :) That's part of why I used the 2nd edition mechanics as my launching point instead of 1st edition; it's still something of an ad hoc hodgepodge, but it's got some degree of organization and clarification put into it. Of course, in return, it has a ridiculous glut...
  7. A

o_O Priest spells completed! Wizard spells completed up to 6th level! Some notes filled in for adventure design! Minor touch ups and more text hyperlinking! Same link as before, repeated for convenience
  8. A

New version uploaded! (The link is the same as last time, but putting it in this post will make it easier for others than pointing up a post :p) Well, after crunching through the numbers using (more or less) average values, my theory that the standard 2E treasure tables would cluster broadly...
  9. A

The importance of knowledge skills

That's pretty much how I like to handle knowledge skills. Having the skill by itself is enough to recall (or have the GM explain) memorized facts and the like; rolling the skill is for trying to apply that knowledge to a practical end.
  10. A

Settling on Social Skills; Got Four, Need a Fifth

To a degree, I think all social skills can run into others to varying degrees because IRL social interaction is a complicated mess. Charm can be split into charming people with lies, or with flattery, or with humor, etc. Command can be split into ordering through intimidation, or through force...
  11. A

Compiled PDF is ready! There are a fair number of rules tweaks from what was posted in this thread, along with a lot of general reorganization and clean-up to improve usability and correct errors (like mixing up the sapper melee and explosive saving throws for Fortifications :cautious:)...
  12. A

[5e]Making the Intelligence stat more useful

I don't know what's in anything outside of the PHB/MM/DMG and Volo's. Those are certainly light on associating skills with variable abilities, but I chalked that up to them mostly being core rules and monster stat blocks. It'd be sad if the official modules are also silent about that...
  13. A

[5e]Making the Intelligence stat more useful

Obvious thing: use more enemies that force INT saves (intellect devourers and mind flayers are particularly great for this since they're almost save or die for low INT groups :)). As pointed out, applying a "<this> or <that>" bonus encourages dumping a stat, not the opposite. If you want to...
  14. A

General Oldschool /Retroclone: What system for new campaign? - Light but customizable

At the risk of sounding pompous, what you're looking for sounds close to the heartbreaker I've been putting together over here. The compiled rules (excepting full spell details, bestiary, treasure/magic item generation, and adventure design/sample adventure appendix) should be available in PDF...
  15. A

In going through the rules to reorganize, smooth the prose, and try to fix any mistakes, I broke up the "Adventuring" chapter into "General Rules" (for stuff that's important but doesn't clearly fit anywhere else) and "Adventuring" (for defining encounter/adventure/campaign and providing...
Top Bottom