• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

Recent content by Crazy Jerome

1. C

[4e] How many players is too many?

Not just DM techniques, but players skills as well. The non-negotiable side effects of a large group are that each player will get less personal attention from the DM and the storyline, resolving mechanical actions that involve all players will take more time, and it will generally take more...
  2. C

[4e] How many players is too many?

For me, it's around 7-8, though I'll run as few as 5 or as many as 10 without trouble. It's different for every person, depending on personal preference, experience, etc. Also, once you start running with 7+ (6+ for some people), the experience changes, and you need a somewhat different...
  3. C

Why Should The Tools Go Online?

Storing stuff on the client side is no problem at all, as long as you are clear that is what you are doing (and preferably giving the option to not, for those that want it that way). What is a problem is keeping something only on the client side and expecting to synchronize that back with the...
  4. C

Are MMOs conducive to roleplaying? Do you want them to be?

I'm sure you've heard, "No plan survives contact with the enemy." In "On War," Clauwitz basically defined why this is so using the concept of friction. Orders get misunderstood. People are late (or too early). Personalities clash. Equipment breaks. The enemy does something you haven't...
  5. C

I run almost entirely Fantasy, usually epic style or sometimes sword and sorcery, with a variety of systems. I've done this with various versions of D&D, RuneQuest, Fantasy Hero, and even Burning Wheel. None of these are necessarily designed to support low level conflict, but I've learned over...
  6. C

so....who hates piazo?

To me, sounds like another case of confusing the health of the industry with the health of the hobby. Not that I think traditional measurements of the industry are the best way to measure it right now, but even if you grant that, it says nothing about the hobby. And yeah, first time I've ever...
  7. C

My disagreement there was more practical than theoretical. That is, I don't think the tools for creating one's own adventures will ever be very good outside a system that support emergent roleplaying behavior through mechanics. Even if, for example, you take a system like Neverwinter Nights...
  8. C

Civilization 5 is pre-loaded ...

My intuition says its a potential flaw in the grand strategic AI logic, that determines which victory conditions the AIs are going after. Could it be possibly that something is occasionally causing all of them to go after a small number of city strategy for a culture victory attempt, and they...
  9. C

so....who hates piazo?

"The market' meaning what, exactly? Your market? 4E? If the latter, how do you know? I wasn't pointing out that the other side does it too. That is self evident. I was pointing out that the people on the other side that are doing it too are a likewise a highly vocal minority. It's a lot...
  10. C

Why Should The Tools Go Online?

I agree with the OP except for one thing. Online tools should not replace the CB. Instead, they should complement it. This will necessarily mean some slight overlap in functionality and/or moving of some functionality in the CB today into the online version. But with a database supported...
  11. C

Yeah. It's almost as if rational human beings discussing why they did or did not do something in an actual shared game--anchors the discussion in reality. Who knew that "actual play" wasn't merely important in roleplaying table top games? :)
  12. C

so....who hates piazo?

I wouldn't dignify it with the label "idea," but I take your point.
  13. C

I agree with most of that, though I don't think the side-roleplay is all that valuable in and of itself. Rather, I think it is something people use for a substitute, because it is often all they can get. However, on the larger point, I don't there can be a good set of tools for running...
  14. C

It's even worse than that, and why I quit bothering with Civ Fanatics after the Civ IV launch. Some of the same people that are screaming about V not being IV are the ones that screamed the loudest about IV not being III. As information on IV was gradually released, a handful of people...
  15. C

so....who hates piazo?

Nonsense. There have always been highly vocal elements that fit that description, even pre-internet. You can easily see another set of them dripping venom out of every pore when they deign to comment in a 4E topic. But they are a minority. In no way have "we" been reduced to anything.
Top Bottom