Recent content by DavetheLost

1. DavetheLost

So...TotalCon, sexism and safety at the convention

TotalCon Facebook Page. Post by TotalCon, on TotalCon Discussion page Also Industry Guests unless they are posting last year's list under next year's dates.
  2. DavetheLost

So...TotalCon, sexism and safety at the convention

TotalCon FB page is proudly displaying the prize support from Frog God Games they just received. Comments on the post have been turned off. Posts concerning "allegations" or "slander" will be removed. Bill Webb is also featured as an invited industry guest for 2020. A list which is all male.
  3. DavetheLost

[Let's Read] The AD&D Dungeon Masters Guide (1e)

I am certain this one has its origins in the Roadrunner cartoons. Although Yellow Submarine is also a possibility.
  4. DavetheLost

Things you hate that RPGs do to players (pet peeves)

GURPS is well designed. It has some great sourcebooks to mine for ideas. I cannot make a decent character in it to save my life. I have not enjoyed playing it the times I have tried it. I do not think it is a stupid, ad game. It is just not a game for me.
  5. DavetheLost

I am so damn bored

I remember a Rifts game where I spent literally 45 minutes (I timed it) between my character's attack, in the same melee round. Extended playing time when you can't do anything sucks. A lot. I don't know what made SavevsDM's DM think that this thing was a good idea.
  6. DavetheLost

[Let's Read] The AD&D Dungeon Masters Guide (1e)

Super Hero could also be a reference to Nietzsche.
  7. DavetheLost

Things you hate that RPGs do to players (pet peeves)

Long, time consuming, elaborate character generation, followed by extremely fast and deadly combat. I have watched character generation take two or three hours and then the characters die in the first five minutes of game play due to taking a hit in combat. FGU games and RoleMaster were both...
  8. DavetheLost

SJG is continuing to work with accused sexual harasser Bill Webb. They are offering partial refunds to customers. [see redtext appended to OP]

For me the deal with FGG killed my support for TFT going forward. It doesn't really matter if a particular TFT product was created with the participation of Webb/FGG, the whole line is now fruit of the poison tree. Tainted by association.
  9. DavetheLost

On the problem of killing orcs, etc.

Well, we don't have to have sapient brain-eating ilithids. If you don't want them, or anything else that fills that niche, in your games, don't. Some people like having clearly evil monsters in their games, and/or pretty black & white morality. Others prefer ambiguity and shades or grey. And...
  10. DavetheLost

On the problem of killing orcs, etc.

In that case it is perfectly fair and not a gotcha at all. The players know going in that Ilitids are evil backstabbers. Would you trust a known evil backstabber just because it asked you to join it for beer and munchies? If it was some other creature that was not absolutely known to be an...
  11. DavetheLost

"Decolonizing D&D"

Luke isn't uniformed until he puts on the flight suit at the end of Star Wars. Then he doesn't appear in uniform again in the whole series.
  12. DavetheLost

"Decolonizing D&D"

Yes, and both were decidedly presented as antagonists, not protagonists. Moorcock's stand-ins for England were not displays of jingoistic patriotism. This is particularly clear in Hawkmoon.
  13. DavetheLost

"Decolonizing D&D"

Acting like bandits or conquistadors is a choice of play style that the players can make. It need not be the only choice. There is no reason there cannot be cities and cultures beyond the Empire. Locations in which any sort of adventure may be had. You can, of course, also run D&D with no...
  14. DavetheLost

Gamma World-Edition to edition compatibility

1st and 2nd editions are extremely compatible with each other. 3rd edition uses its own system. 1st edition has no specific setting. It includes a general map of North America. 2nd edition had an adventure in the boxed set near Pittsburgh. The first edition module Legion of Gold is set near...
  15. DavetheLost

What games do you not run/have no intention of running the way they were intended?

Classic Traveller. In high school it was our go to generic rule system. We hacked it for post-apocalypse, high fantasy and more. I have used Call of Cthulhu for all sorts of adventures, many not involving the Mythos at all. I had a set f players who decided to become bootleggers, that led to a...
Top Bottom