• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

Recent content by E.T.Smith

1. E.T.Smith

💀 Necro What RPG disappointed you the most?

Honestly, the new versions may just be too slick for their own good. Over years of admiring Over the Edge, I never once thought what I'd want in a new edition was glossy color pages. There's something about the upscale books that feels at odds with the original harsh street-level grey-scale...
  2. E.T.Smith

Beating a dead horse: Confederates in Steampunk RPGs

Doubtless the South's leaders would make grandiouse claims ("From the Atlantic to the Pacific, from the Caribbean to Hudson Bay!") but it seems unlikely they'd have the resources to make a move on anything but the most petty of them (granted, depending on what breed of alien space bat is...
  3. E.T.Smith

Moreso regions leaving the CSA than whole states, like West Virginia and as mentioned earlier the foiled attempt by Western Tennessee. There was a lot of rich-vs-rural tension in the South, where the elites of Charleston and Atlanta had greater common interests with each other than the poor...
  4. E.T.Smith

To be more explicit about something I touched on, it's possible the USA would find use in having a contained CSA around. It gives a strong counter-example making the North look better by comparison and justifies a strong central government and military to counter the Southern "threat." So they...
  5. E.T.Smith

Something to recall is that a lot of Northern investment was needed to rebuild the South after the war's end (whereas the urban core of the North was never directly touched by the fighting). So if the war had followed largely the same destructive course before diverging to where the CSA could...
  6. E.T.Smith

Have a starship deck plan...

Thank you, but a suggestion: put your logo and company contact somewhere on there, and an explicit non-attribution statement. Makes it much easier to track you down for projects, assures the end user that they're safe to use it, and makes it easier to properly credit you. Especially if the image...
  7. E.T.Smith

Price point on HC RPG Books

Words-per-dollar is a pretty blunt and tone-deaf metric to pin value on. A thousand pages of pure text for free is a waste if it's boring and never gets used in play, while a four page pamphlet is priceless if it inspires and gives ideas for years of campaigns.
  8. E.T.Smith

🎨 Creative Building an Interstellar Setting

That's assuming navigators are allowed to work like chauffers, waiting around for whoever hired them to finish their business and ask to go home. That seems unlikely, given how valuable their services are and their role as basic infrastructure. Whatever organizing institution coordinates the...
  9. E.T.Smith

🎨 Creative Building an Interstellar Setting

What's the player's perspective on this setting, looking up from the ground? Presumably, with the limited availability of interstellar jumps, every visit to an extrasolar planet means a long-term stay, so space opera planet-hopping isn't going to happen. And they won't have their own ship, so no...
  10. E.T.Smith

I'm beginning to wonder if the opposing ends of that scale are becoming entirely different audiences. I just spent a few hours catching up on what's new in the DIY RPG, Artpunk and Sworddream communities, and found a lot of chatter about zines, pamphlets and articles I rarely see mentioned on...
  11. E.T.Smith

I don't think that's a valid premise. For most people, the PHB is the only game book they'll ever buy. It has to be remembered that the responses in this thread are from dedicated enthusiasts, much more willing to spend extra money on materials in pursuit of one of their primary pastimes (and...
  12. E.T.Smith

not sure if this goes here: the possibility of a new dark age

That's hard to reproduce for societies without the Mediterranean just sitting there in front of them waiting to be turned into a distribution system.
  13. E.T.Smith

Farm machinery doesn't require high velocity, but distribution does, and that's the main thing mitigating famine, the ability to cover shortages by shipping in surpluses from other regions before they rot. I agree that trains would probably make a comeback, since there's an existing abandoned...
  14. E.T.Smith

[OSR/S&W] What's the functional difference between 'white box' and 'complete'?

The retroclone closest to AD&D1 is OSRIC, which is not considered part of the S&W lineage though Matt Finch had a hand in its creation. Otherwise, S&W Complete is still the version of that game most like AD&D1. Note, since the this thread originally started, further versions of S&W have been...
  15. E.T.Smith

A major limit on vehicles is rubber, or more specifically tires. Unmaintained roads are going to chew up tires fast, with no means to produce replacements (either the agriculture and transit network to produce real rubber or the industry to make synthetics). Substitutions might be used...
Top Bottom