• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

Recent content by Gareth3

1. G

What should I read for the next Hugo Awards?

Thanks for the suggestions. I now have In an Absent Dream, This is How You Lose the Time War, and A Memory Called Empire. I'll read them and give my reactions. In the meantime, keep the suggestions coming.
  2. G

OOC [MtAw] War on the Iron Pyramid

Sure, no problem.
  3. G

Belated Realisations part 2: I Can't Believe It Took Me A Second Thread!

In Astonishing X-Men, Colossus is talking with an alien about their planet's power plant, which he can easily sabotage to destroy the planet. He says it's ridiculous to use such a dangerous source of energy, and the alien says that they've sacrificed safety for efficiency, just like humans have...
  4. G

IC [MtAw] War on the Iron Pyramid

Ness sighs. "Dog that caught the car, huh?" He picks up Skoll's gun. "We can't hold them for long, I can't reliably scan this guy, and she's even harder. Conventional interrogation would take days even with Sleepers, God knows what defenses they have. So unless I you have any other suggestions...
  5. G

OOC [MtAw] War on the Iron Pyramid

Me, the player, would be fine with it. Ness the character certainly wouldn't be, but I'm not sure exactly how he'd react.
  6. G

Ness relaxes, letting go of the man's arm. "Thank you." He turns to the others. "We're safe for now, but it sounds like they're going to be missed in a few hours. So what exactly are we going to do with them?" The man's necklace catches his eye, and he turns to Sonata. "Will this thing hurt me...
  7. G

Yes, there's still four months in which eligible stuff can be published, but I thought I'd see what's available now. You can take "electability" into consideration as well as whether it's your personal favourite: what you think is likely to be nominated. Also, I don't mind if you're just...
  8. G

I've never read everything nominated for the Hugo Awards, but I was suprised this year that I made a clean sweep. I read absolutely none of the written nominees, apart from the first few Laundry books by Charlie Stross. I'd like to do a little better for the 2020 Hugos, especially since they're...
  9. G

2019 Hugo Awards

How do you think Ng will display her trophy?
  10. G

Ness lets go of Spyder and motions to the wolfman while chanting and gesturing with the knife in his other hand. "Your turn, Marmaduke." He clamps his hand around the man's arm, noticeably firmer than with the woman. "Right, tell me about booby traps, your hidden allies, deadman switches, and...
  11. G

Ness frowns as his spell gives no results. "I'm getting nothing here, they could have a Gulmoth upstairs for all I know. Watch out." He turns back to Spyder, relaxing his grip on her arm but still maintaining contact. He stares at her curiously. "Probably Mastigos with that shielding, or she's...
  12. G

🎨 Creative Building an Interstellar Setting

The "airline pilot" model works at one stage of interstellar contact, where it's fine to be left in the alien system for a fixed time until the teleporter returns to pick you up. There's also the "Murdock from the A-Team" model, where you take your transportation guy along on your adventures in...
  13. G

I've bumped the number of teleporters up from one in a billion to one in a million, and the length of the mission is more down to travel time than the scarcity of the teleporters. Think of Apollo 11 - it was enormously expensive but the whole mission lasted only eight days. The FTL component...
  14. G

The next species comes from an exercise in justifying crewed space travel. Not faster-than-light psychic teleportation, but just flying around interplanetary space with chemical or nuclear rockets. Vast amounts of SF have been written about this, but there are several problems with it: a)...
  15. G

[ASoIaF] I finished reading Fire & Blood - light spoilers

It's actually suspicious how few Targaryen and Baratheon heirs are left by the time of the main books, you'd think there'd always be a cousin or two somewhere. Speaking of bloodlines, reading Fire and Blood has convinced me that either a) Half of all the Targaryens are bastards with random...
Top Bottom