• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

Recent content by GoaltimeExposure

1. G

Thoughts on this CRM

Well. Usually, non-combat rolls don't include dice from gear. Sometimes they don't include dice from backgrounds, either, making it 2 dice (1 base die + 1 from the PCs attribute). I don't think it does. Several systems - like Star Wars: The Roleplaying Game (the d6 one) - features wild dice...
  2. G

Binding (or Chicken) Initiative: An Experiment

So what happens if Monster 1 spends 3AP to attack Player 1, Player 1 "flinches" and spends 2AP to use Stoneskin in response, as does Player 2 (for 2 x Stoneskin on Player 1). Finally, Player 3 is late to react; he uses 3AP to teleport Player 1 out of harm's way? Naturally, I don't know if any...
  3. G

Thoughts on this CRM

After a playtest gone awry, I'm back to contemplating my game's core mechanic. I keep going back and forth between a dice pool mechanic (like that of Mouse Guard) and a dice stepping mechanic (like that of Cortex Plus, more or less). My game's not entirely unlike Exalted. PCs are the chosen...
  4. G

Binding (or Chicken) Initiative: An Experiment

It sounds interesting. Are there any "common" actions that can't be used at instant speed (if we're sticking to M:tG terminology)? In the example above, it seems that a pretty good strategy for Player A would be to move out of the way (i.e.: using a move action at instant speed). I suppose this...
  5. G

Attunement

I'm wondering what you guys think of attunement as a mechanic. I've seen it in a lot of games recently. Generally, "attunement" is a rule that serves to limit how many magic items a character can benefit from at once. To use a magic item, you must first attune to it. Usually, this takes some...
  6. G

Regaining Fate Points

Thanks for the feedback, guys! There's a lot of good ideas here. Reading your input gave me a half-baked idea of my own. If you don't mind, I'd love your 2 cents. Players can call on fate to reroll 1 or more dice from among their rolled dice (keep in mind, I'm using a d6 dice-pool mechanic with...
  7. G

Regaining Fate Points

I'm my game, the notion of personal fate is fairly important. As such, I'm considering a mechanic for supporting this notion. I'm thinking that, when a player has rolled, that player can spend a fate point to reroll any number of dice (I'm using a dice pool system that's somewhat similar to...
  8. G

Does Strength deserve to be an attribute?

As always, it depends a lot on the game. I, too, have rolled strength and constitution into a single attribute called might.
  9. G

Stunts

Because combat consists of various elements that take up time - not just rolling. How long does it take to resolve a roll in D&D? 15 seconds, maybe? You'll have to roll a lot of times before you've spent 30 minutes rolling dice. If combat was a game of Yahtzee, then yes - doubling rolls would...
  10. G

Stunts

That's a bit of an exaggeration. There are other things that add to combat length besides rolling. Even in D&D, you wouldn't double combat length if you rolled for AC. Does it add extra time? Sure. But I've found that, in my games, it doesn't add too much extra time. I haven't tested it, but...
  11. G

Stunts

Not really. I've found (empirically) that opposed rolls keep the player a little more engaged in the combat without decreasing the speed of combat much.
  12. G

Stunts

To be honest, most offensive stunts probably increase your damage output in one way or another (bypass armor, follow-up attack, increase damage, etc.). Depends on what you mean by unintended consequence. Let's look at your example. The attacker rolls 17 with 5SP (my game won't use the stunt...
  13. G

Stunts

Well. While you can use stunt points to buy stunts even when you don't succeed, stunts that increase an attack's damage and so on still require a hit. Stunts that add other effects to the hit - such as damage on a miss or add a bonus to an ally's next attack against the same target (or whatever)...
  14. G

Stunts

Any other input? :)
  15. G

Stunts

I still keep moving from core mechanic to core mechanic. Currently, I'm considering a 3d6-plus-modifiers system like Fantasy AGE. If I do adopt the Fantasy AGE core mechanic, I figured I might as well port their system for stunting. In Fantasy AGE, you roll 3d6. 1 of those d6 is a...
Top Bottom