Recent content by GoaltimeExposure

1. G

Does Strength deserve to be an attribute?

As always, it depends a lot on the game. I, too, have rolled strength and constitution into a single attribute called might.
  2. G

Stunts

Because combat consists of various elements that take up time - not just rolling. How long does it take to resolve a roll in D&D? 15 seconds, maybe? You'll have to roll a lot of times before you've spent 30 minutes rolling dice. If combat was a game of Yahtzee, then yes - doubling rolls would...
  3. G

Stunts

That's a bit of an exaggeration. There are other things that add to combat length besides rolling. Even in D&D, you wouldn't double combat length if you rolled for AC. Does it add extra time? Sure. But I've found that, in my games, it doesn't add too much extra time. I haven't tested it, but...
  4. G

Stunts

Not really. I've found (empirically) that opposed rolls keep the player a little more engaged in the combat without decreasing the speed of combat much.
  5. G

Stunts

To be honest, most offensive stunts probably increase your damage output in one way or another (bypass armor, follow-up attack, increase damage, etc.). Depends on what you mean by unintended consequence. Let's look at your example. The attacker rolls 17 with 5SP (my game won't use the stunt...
  6. G

Stunts

Well. While you can use stunt points to buy stunts even when you don't succeed, stunts that increase an attack's damage and so on still require a hit. Stunts that add other effects to the hit - such as damage on a miss or add a bonus to an ally's next attack against the same target (or whatever)...
  7. G

Stunts

Any other input? :)
  8. G

Stunts

I still keep moving from core mechanic to core mechanic. Currently, I'm considering a 3d6-plus-modifiers system like Fantasy AGE. If I do adopt the Fantasy AGE core mechanic, I figured I might as well port their system for stunting. In Fantasy AGE, you roll 3d6. 1 of those d6 is a...
  9. G

AnyDice Help

This is perfect! Thank you so much!
  10. G

AnyDice Help

I might have figured out a way to calculate damage for my 3d6 project. Before I commit to any system, however, I'd like to do a bit of due diligence and run it through AnyDice or Troll. As such, I'm looking for a program that can output the following. Basically, my system is 3d6 + modifiers vs...
  11. G

Input For My Core Mechanics

I'm looking for any kind of observations or suggestions regarding the following core mechanics. Context: My "old" core mechanic: With my proposed alternative, rolls always consist of 3d6 + modifiers. Usually, only a character's base attributes and skills modify a roll. There are only 3...
  12. G

Nomenclature

I'm struggling a bit with etymology and nomenclature. Basically, I'm having a hard time deciding whether names in my setting - such as those belonging to cities and deities - should rely on made-up gibberish, plain English, or real-world mythology. With "plain English," I would end up with...
  13. G

God Relationships

It probably will help, thanks! I'll look over the shared material when I have time. Thank you! I figured that prayer (and similar rituals of worship) would help you stay in the favor of the gods. Apart from rewarding PCs with magic items, PCs could (potentially) call for the gods' immediate aid...
  14. G

God Relationships

In my game, gods figure prominently. Essentially, the settings 10 gods serve as the game's default quest givers; they task heroes with various missions and they reward those who do their bidding. Although (most of) the gods work toward a common goal, many gods have their own agenda and...
  15. G

Timeline

I could use some help with establishing a timeline for my game's setting. Basically, I'm looking to determine the current year. The setting, in the current year, is about as advanced as Tolkien's Middle Earth. A big difference between my setting and Tolkien's is that the gods in mine have...
Top Bottom