• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

Recent content by Jeph

1. J

Lancer RPG - awesome looking Mech game, free beta

I was thinking of verbiage like "harm as established", "read a situation." Many of the downtime actions are straight-up standard format *World moves. "Power at a cost" works almost exactly like the Angel's infirmary move or the Savvyhead's workshop move, or the Dungeon World ritual spell move.
  2. J

Lancer RPG - awesome looking Mech game, free beta

Huh, this is subtly peppered with tons of language straight from Apocalypse World and Burning Wheel. Anyone else notice the strength of those influences?
  3. J

dndtheory

I did make a lot of assumptions, and I love how wrong they mostly turned out to be! My main belief is that most of the actual practice & knowledge of this hobby is sequestered in small social circles. When people talk about their games online, they usually talk at the level of "here's what...
  4. J

dndtheory

So it seems your game is pretty exploration focused. Is the support for that at the social level—you sat down and said "OK friends, this game is about exploring the Weird at the borders of civilization, make characters who want to do that"—or in the in-game feedback loop level—you get XP for...
  5. J

dndtheory

What decisions have you made around, say, XP, lethality, replacement character level, fudging, rolling in the open vs behind a screen, use of random tables, use of modules, prep format, encounter design, etc to support this style of game? I'm guessing from your description you don't use...
  6. J

dndtheory

I'm Story Games OG! User #48. I use the same handle there and here. Eero's, 2097's, and Silmenume's discussions on SG of their own gaming tables is what inspired me to create this thread and the subreddit—I want more, similarly in-depth profiles of other tables, from a community larger than...
  7. J

dndtheory

Sometimes? Or just the implied but unwritten structure of your game? Like, every table plays differently. Can you identify the techniques, tendencies, implicit social contract, and all that—and yes, explicit subsystems too—that give rise to those different play experiences? In enough detail...
  8. J

dndtheory

I'm most interested in very structural things. For instance: In West Marches style games, our goal is to provide challenge-based play for an open table game where any number of players might drop in and out of play. To this end, we structure play around exploration of a remote wilderness that...
  9. J

dndtheory

I love learning about how different groups play D&D and related games. I love when I get a lot of juicy detail, especially about what's going on at the player level, at the game table, that supports and produces interesting types of play. Reddit has a large D&D community, but they mostly post...
  10. J

💀 Necro Has anyone played with a GM in LA named Cary Solomon?

Thanks both of you for your responses! Sorry for the late reply; I'm traveling out of the country at the moment. @PaladinTroy I'm on the West coast (San Francisco), but my wife is from northern NJ so we're around that area a few times a year, too. @Turandir that's an interesting difference in...
  11. J

💀 Necro Has anyone played with a GM in LA named Cary Solomon?

Hi PaladinTroy, & hi Thurandir! Silmenume just messaged me on another forum to let me know ya'll had revived this thread! Thanks so much to both of you for responding. I've been searching for more info about this game for about ten years, after Silmenume's descriptions on The Forge caught my...
  12. J

Homebrewing short and long rest mechanics

On the topic of combat length, I ran a 5e game with 6 PCs + lots of hirelings, I think between 3 and 8 most sessions. In order to speed up combat, I completely reworked the combat round. In short, I eliminated turns, instead structuring the round in "phases" for different types of action...
  13. J

[5E] Gaining a level as a downtime activity

Where's the verisimilitude in spending tens of thousands of pieces of gold on training? That's the equivalent of, like, half a million bucks. Here in the Real World, that gets you a full 4-year college degree at a top rated private university with no scholarships. I find it hard to rationalize...
  14. J

Astrogation

I work in machine learning; I use the closest stuff we've got to AI every day. So here's a totally believable situation: the nav software on your ship is great at finding a safest and most efficient hyper-path from exactly point A to point B, it can do that in a couple of minutes! Make the...
  15. J

What would you call a unit of spell preparation capacity?

In the inestimable Tales of Wyre, they are referred to as "valences"—for I think the same reasons that ezekiel suggested "quantum," above.
Top Bottom