• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

Recent content by johnthedm7000

1. johnthedm7000

My crack at Alternity's Dice Step System

That's an excellent idea, and that makes handling difficulties much easier. You can even describe difficulties in terms of steps down. What I was referring to in my previous post though isn't so much the GM lowering someone's die size based on the stutnts they want to do. I was referring to...
  2. johnthedm7000

Discordance: Character Creation (Make a character and let me know how it goes)

Well, Flesh is typically what's used when it comes to stabbing or shooting since it's the Affinity that describes your character's physical vigor and strength. Shadow by contrast is used if you're say lunging out from an alleyway to knife someone, or slipping up behind a former infernal countess...
  3. johnthedm7000

If I change the directions to "Choose at least 1" on each of those choices that currently require you to declare 3 different things (Company, Secrets, Beliefs, and Appetites) that cuts the non-list choices you have to make down to 5: Passion Belief Secret Company Appetite Everything else...
  4. johnthedm7000

Casual Conversations in Live Action Role Playing

Don't prescribe a certain order for the goals. Instead, let them choose which they pursue and in which order. If you prescribe a certain order, odds are conversations are going to feel terse, because they're on a clock and have a single track to go along. Giving characters significant quirks in...
  5. johnthedm7000

Would it perhaps be helpful if character creation, when it asks you to create all of that character focused stuff to pull a FATE and ask you to choose "At least one, but up to _____________"? That way players with a clear idea of who their character is can fill everything out, and others can...
  6. johnthedm7000

My crack at Alternity's Dice Step System

I think this can definitely work, a few notes and suggestions: As It Stands There's Little Benefit to Increased Skill: Grabbing a skill at Rookie level offers a sizable jump in capability, from 50% success to 67%. Every other skill increase offers a marginal shift in capability. Going from...
  7. johnthedm7000

Casual Conversations in Live Action Role Playing

Take this all with a heaping tablespoon full of salt, as I've never LARP'ed but I do have a lot of experience as a GM in games where the interpersonal connections between characters are tangled and crazy. My thoughts would be that there are a few things you can do as facilitator to make...
  8. johnthedm7000

Need a skill name ...

Contradicting Quibbling Denying Arguing Obfuscating Rambling Growling It really depends on the tone of the game. Are mice people in this game, insofar as their actions and personalities are concerned like Watership Down but with Mice? Are they representative of a certain *sort* of...
  9. johnthedm7000

It does tremendously. Thank you for your feedback, and I hope that you'll share your thoughts both about future revisions of the material and about other mechanical bits that I shine a light on.
  10. johnthedm7000

Riff? Star Wars minus Star Wars

I'm pretty sure this is just Saga. Star Wars minus star wars (along with a love story that's actually well written) is Saga. It doesn't have dichotomous good and evil factions who both use a specialized variant of space wizardry, but it *does* have tons of space wizards, and a bunch of bizarre...
  11. johnthedm7000

Hey folks, so I've been working on my weird-fantasy game Discordance for some time now and have finally figured out a rough draft of character creation. It would help me tremendously if you all would run through it and post your thoughts on the process. Specifically, I'd like to hear about...
  12. johnthedm7000

A Resolution System For Your Consideration

I think a good way to go about it might be saying that if you give up a Passion you cannot have that same passion again unless you intensify it somehow. If you want fire to light your way again after it's been extinguished, it must be made to burn hotter and brighter than before. Like rekindling...
  13. johnthedm7000

God Relationships

I'm going to assume that most characters will not have relationships with every single God, both because that's historically how most polytheistic cultures behaved and because it's easier to keep track of and more interesting for a character to be defined by a few important relationships than a...
  14. johnthedm7000

Arcane Uprising initial playtest

I apologize in advance if my thoughts are somewhat jumbled, but I'm writing them down as they occur to me: 1. The resolution system is pretty straightforward overall, but is chock full of weird exceptions. The 1s cancelling 10s thing seems kind of tacked on and it's only real effect is...
  15. johnthedm7000

Structuring Combat Skills

I find it helpful to determine what the role of combat is in your system, and how you perceive violence taking place in the game. If you were to imagine a fight taking place in your game, would it look like this: or more like this: In one, violence is a way of showing off how awesome the...
Top Bottom