Recent content by Maxwell Luther

1. M

Squad based Rpg campaign help?

Got you covered: Wraith Recon. Pretty much everything you want. Works great with RQ. They have a 4E version of it as well.
  2. M

CR, Encounter Builders and the rise of the "fair fight"

We actually teach about more than video games. A lot of classes focus on analog design and the very questions you raised. There are also quite a few academic works on the subject, including Schell's Art of Game Design, and Characteristics of Games by Elias, Gutschera and Garfield (the creator of...
  3. M

Most definitely. There are several schools, real ones (like The University of Texas at Dallas, where I got my MFA), with classes, departments or even whole schools (like Full Sail) dedicated to gaming. And even secondary schools are getting dedicated design classes, here in Texas. In fact, I...
  4. M

Dave Wesley ran everything on the fly for Braunstein, the only real rules were those used for the underlying wargame. The rest was high level role-playing and on the fly judgments based upon existing circumstances. Interestingly enough, they never actually got to the wargaming part of that first...
  5. M

There are two different places you get monster numbers from in AD&D: 1. The MM, in which it explicitly states those numbers should not be used to populate dungeon levels.(pg.5) In other words, you shouldn't, when stocking rooms or generating random encounters for dungeon encounters, be using...
  6. M

That and the assumption that, 'if you meet it you can beat it.'
  7. M

That number is for an entire lair or village of goblins, not a single encounter. And the CR of the day was the HD of the creature in question and the level of dungeon it appeared on, which the random number encountered was meant to fit. Of course, once a DM got experience with the system, they...
  8. M

Sell me on Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay

That would certainly be true if they cast the magic in plain view and the results of a miscast were very temporary. But many of those results last well beyond the original flub. And how many villagers ask for proof of license when their scared out of their wits and ready to nail you to a...
  9. M

That's where playing the setting, not just the mechanics, is so important. Wizards in WFRP should always feel like they are one set of glowing eyes or bucket of soured milk away from getting nailed to a tree by the citizens they are likely trying to help, even if that is not the case. Villagers...
  10. M

This is one of my favorite quotes, as I think it sums up 1E and 2E pretty accurately, but I would change it to: "WFRP is the game where you think you're playing D&D, then come to realise you're actually playing Call of Cthulhu in a world where the government is run like something out of...
  11. M

I've written an entire university lecture on this subject, actually, because some gimp on Gaming Vulture wrote that "Random Encounters began as a way to design around the limitations of past hardware" and suggested that they had no other useful purpose and should be abandoned. Outside of...
  12. M

What system for Indiana Jones/Prince of Persia dungeons full of traps, puzzles, and environmental perils instead of monsters?

Beat me to it, but this is the way we rolled in my groups. In fact, when I ran the game, the Thieves' skills, which were pitifully low and almost guaranteed to get a low level thief dead if he relied solely on those, were treated as largely 'reactionary' skills. For example: if a character...
  13. M

Tomb of Horrors, Tomb of Annihilation, Tomb Of Mild Inconvenience WTF?

I could see this being used as a great Level 1 adventure for jaded older players who have been to, or at least heard of, the original ToH. Once they get in and start to recognize the descriptions, let them think you've gone insane and possibly retreat in haste, only to find out later that it was...
  14. M

Interesting Paragraph in BECMI

And then you were left to resorting to the agony of mail-order. It is true that you could use the handy little form in the box to order stuff directly from TSR and other companies, but for those raised in the era of overnight deliveries, imagine everything you ordered coming through the normal...
  15. M

Interesting Paragraph in BECMI

That's actually not fair. If you lived in the 1980's, you'd understand just how little knowledge your average store clerk had on these subjects. Game store employees, maybe, but back in the day, especially in Texas, those sorts of specialty stores were few and far between, and a tween would not...
Top Bottom