N

Profile posts Latest activity Postings About

• So, I have developed an aversion to media that is about the exaltation of horrific violence. By that, I mean showcasing the worst that we do to each other as a selling point. Things such as: The Purge, The Saw movies, The Game of Thrones, etc... Example: I watched the first two seasons of GoT, basically forcing myself to sit through the second season until the end just to "give it a chance." I had decided to not bother anymore (too much about the murdering each other and not enough about the fun fantasy stuff - though I will say that I love Daenerys Targaryen, she is a proper heroine), but, later, a coworker convinced me to give it another go, so I picked up where I left off. Boy was that a mistake. I got to the Red Wedding, and realizing that fact (I had heard about it) I decided to skip through it quickly. Unfortunately, I happened to stop on the worst possible moments: when Rob's pregnant wife was being stabbed in the stomach (i.e., in the baby!!!) and then when he was holding her in his arms - with 2 crossbow bolts sticking out of him - and he wailed in anguish, "Mooooooomm." I don't generally have dreams about the media I consume, but I had nightmares about that scene for 2-weeks. The thing that really bugs me, is the glee that is evident in my coworkers voice when he talks about such things. For him, the more vicious and gorier the better. That seriously bothers me. I find it worrisome.

Now, I consume media with violence, just not the type where it is about putting on full-display the utter horrific-ness (new word!) that the above do. Die Hard is a fantastic movie, with a fantastic villain. But, we don't spend a ton of time on Hans Gruber torturing the hostages, all shown in gory detail. I find that level of - heck, I don't even know what to call it other than crap - troubling in a societal sense. Like the Fall of Rome/Gladiator type troubling.

Hope that helps you understand where I am coming from.
    Arethusa
    Arethusa
    Boy, I hear ya. I can take a story with violence, but the onscreen - I dunno - glorification of it just leaves me flinching. It’s sort of like some kinds of erotica. I don’t actually need to see these moments in detail to be aware that what they reference is important to the story.
  • Loading…
  • Loading…
  • Loading…
Top Bottom