Recent content by Outsider

1. O

Real Life People DM's Would Find Ridiculous

So, let me get this straight: Not only did your rogue commit the largest cash robbery in British history, he was also a successful mixed martial artist with a 8-2-1 record? You say he even went the distance in a title match vs Anderson Silva? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lee_Murray
  2. O

5E: Is the Ranger really terrible?

It is highly dependant on the DM(and players). If a "I don't worry about the rules" DM runs a 4e game, he'll likely see alot of rules arguments. The rules are clear, and when the DM arbitrarily ignores them, the players will often get agitated. If a "The rules are the rules and I follow them...
  3. O

I think this is somewhat deliberate. Remember how people said 4e read like a textbook/was boring to read? Those accusations aren't being made about 5e. And apparently it's not flavor text that is making the difference. 4e had flavor text for every power(hell, essentials even wasted space by...
  4. O

Does Forgotten Realms have a flavour of its own?

Which is the wise thing to do. If my group was a bit more mature around 1990 when this stuff was coming out, we may have done the same. However, those modules -are- in fact official realms material written by Ed Greenwood himself, and it is completely valid to judge the Realms based on them...
  5. O

Clearly alot of people in this thread never played through the Time of Troubles modules. If the DM runs them as written you are quite clearly tag alongs as the NPCs do all the important things(fighting gods, becoming gods, etc). You get to be pushed around by the king of all Mary Sue NPCs and...
  6. O

This. There are mighty heroes in Forgotten Realms. You aren't one of them. You'll never become one of them. You are the guys that run their errands for them. 4e fixed that for the most part, but threw out some babies with that bathwater.
  7. O

The first character I've made in pretty much every edition of D&D was an Elf Ranger. In 5e, I'm instead making an Elf Rogue with the Outlander background. If you like magic being a big part of your ranger, you can probably make it work. If you preferred your rangers to be non-dependent on...
  8. O

[necro, 5E] Multiclassing & ability score improvements

Re: [5E] Multiclassing & ability score improvements I'd say maxing your main stat is still a very high priority. Stat increases after that shouldn't be that important though. I suspect most optimized characters will have their main stat maxed out at either level 8 or 12(if there is a feat...
  9. O

5E Rules Q&A

The rules imply that hearing/noise is a big component to finding a hidden target, so I wouldn't give the disadvantage on the perception check. I also agree that the rules as they are written right now make Stealth into Move Silently for most characters. It appears if you want to actually use...
  10. O

5E Rules Q&A

Under vision and light, there are basically 3 levels of vision/obscurity. Unobscured: Complete, undhindered vision. You can't hide when you are unobscured. Certain character abilities overcome this and allow you to hide(Ranger ability Hide in Plain Sight). Lightly Obscured: Hindered vision...
  11. O

[5e] Thoughts on the Fighter now?

Yes, that is all accurate. You're mostly looking at spells/magic items to increase your to hit chance past that. As far as monster AC goes, an Adult Blue Dragon(challenge rating 16) has an AC of 19.
  12. O

I mostly agree with this. Something like the Champion is actually pretty easy to theorycraft though. All it has is unconditional damage. It doesn't have to do anything special to get full use of it's abilities. It's really consistent in what it does. It's tougher to theorycraft the Eldritch...
  13. O

Unfortunately, that doesn't work. You aren't allowed to take a feat more than once unless the feat specifically allows you to, and Martial Adept doesn't allow you to.
  14. O

I mostly agree with that assessment. It's not really about power level, it's about interactivity.
  15. O

The overall abilities of the Fighter base class look pretty decent, as far as damage goes. It should be pretty good at just doing raw damage. It has a bit of tankiness, but nothing for battlefield control. Definitely a striker fighter, not a defender fighter. The Champion is just an...
Top Bottom