• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

Recent content by Thanaeon

1. Thanaeon

🎨 Creative Optimal Melee Weapons for Shorter Persons

Having reserves would also play a role. You don't want the first casualties to start immediately degrading the effectiveness of your line of battle. I've seen credible tests of reconstructed spear/goedendag and maille where the weapon had little trouble penetrating maille. Granted, it was a...
  2. Thanaeon

(Where I Read) Oathbringer

Roshar has a lower gravity than Earth and a higher oxygen ratio in the atmosphere; I could see how this might translate to atmospheric occlusion on a high enough mountain becoming high enough that the ground would simply become lost in the atmosphere. I seem to recall there being a mention at...
  3. Thanaeon

The Last of The GoT Hot takes: Lindsay Ellis video part 2

Yeah, this is pretty much where I'm standing as well. Her criticism is remarkably accurate and convinced me that some of the places where I'd defended the season were misguided. I still think the overall story arc, in the abstract, wasn't bad. It's just that it would have required writers that...
  4. Thanaeon

*Kickstarter* PROJECT DEIOS has launched on KS - Editor for battle maps, cities, regions worlds and more

Is there a limit of some kind to the number of maps one can licence? Also, is there a watermark or something like that added to the map? (I think World Anvil does that.) Am I correct to assume that any maps I'd produced before the subscription ran out would still be available in "read-only"...
  5. Thanaeon

*Kickstarter* PROJECT DEIOS has launched on KS - Editor for battle maps, cities, regions worlds and more

What, exactly, does the "commercial licence" mean? Say I use the subscription for a few months to work on a map, then add the result to an RPG. Do I need to keep the licence active for as long as I keep selling the game, or is the commercial licence only relevant if I want to monetise projects...
  6. Thanaeon

Age of Wonders: Planetfall

So far, I've been playing the campaign. In AoW3, the campaign didn't hold my interest, but this one I've so far found interesting enough that I expect to keep playing it into the foreseeable future.
  7. Thanaeon

Another Audible Thread

Some of Brandon Sanderson's series are YA fiction, but you may have a point there.
  8. Thanaeon

Sure, but there's a lot of space between "not fully armoured" and "unarmoured", and typically the targets you're most eager and most likely to hit in the press of battlefield conditions - the head and the area around the neck and upper torso - are also the first to get armoured. Plus, oftentimes...
  9. Thanaeon

[Expanse] [Literature] Tiamat's Wrath

That was indeed the plan, and it was also planned as kind of trilogy of trilogies. The first trilogy is (mostly) about humanity still confined to its home system, with the unlocking of FTL travel at the end. The second trilogy is about our first steps outside our solar system and how that plays...
  10. Thanaeon

[Expanse] [Literature] Tiamat's Wrath

On the other hand, given the strong hopepunk element of the series (books and TV alike), I'm pretty sure the big solution won't be about how to blow something up. Which is another reason for my speculation regarding the Goths earlier in this thread.
  11. Thanaeon

Well, I wouldn't discount warhammers and warpicks, possibly as two-handed variants, for small-stature species. They are, after all, meant precisely to maximise armour-piercing (and/or armour-deforming) ability in a compact and relatively easy-to-swing package. But they could also try something...
  12. Thanaeon

[BLUE PLANET] Wait. There's a Third Edition Coming Out?

Sure. But that does nothing to change the fact that a character that is literally unkillable by the rules as written is bad.
  13. Thanaeon

You're correct in the general outline of what you're saying, but there's one particular thing where I think you miss the mark; swords. Because as cool as they are (and trust me, I think swords are very cool indeed!), historically they were more often considered sidearms rather than primary...
  14. Thanaeon

Help me find my Fantasy Heartbreaker...

Well, yes. Heartbreaker means something very different, but the original post makes it clear that they're not actually searching for an aggressively mediocre game.
  15. Thanaeon

(Where I Read) Oathbringer

I thought it was Odium interfering, not Stormfather. "I want this one to be my diplomat".
Top Bottom