Recent content by The Unshaven

1. The Unshaven

💀 Necro Horror games and the "first death" problem

There are so many great moments in that game. I remember falling from a great height in the final sections and winding up underwater. That gave me a fright, but okay. I oriented myself but couldn't see the surface, and waited for an oxygen meter to appear like in Thief. ....and nothing...
  2. The Unshaven

"We Say 'Fuck You, Pay Me'": A clear and comprehensive investigation of RPG industry pay rates.

You're making assumptions there. I know people who were interviewed for the piece and the pro-hobbyist perspective as you call it was well represented.
  3. The Unshaven

"We Say 'Fuck You, Pay Me'": A clear and comprehensive investigation of RPG industry pay rates.

Given his point boils down to textbook WhatAboutTheMenz?!1!, it doesn't need to be invalidated. It's already there.
  4. The Unshaven

Yes, absolutely. Cisgender white dudes are the most oppressed group, economically and otherwise, and we should all be terribly upset at a suggestion their needs not be centre stage.
  5. The Unshaven

I think it's an issue, and it's worth bringing up. I think I summarised my approach earlier in the thread as "triage." There are people out there with, by the sound of things, fewer alternatives to RPG related freelancing than others, who are having difficulty surviving on the beans available...
  6. The Unshaven

That makes more sense than what I initially understood, thanks for the explanation. My approach is that if people have explained what they're doing and what is needed to help them, to assume that they know what they're talking about. If alternatives exist, they've probably considered them and...
  7. The Unshaven

Need Advice, Running Romance Game

My suggestion is to start out with something purpose built, like the Romance in the Air for Fate Core.. That contextualises everything nicely, has rules set up for the purpose of getting the players on the same pages as the characters, and is generally well done. That's a way of dipping your...
  8. The Unshaven

Sure, that's fair. I mean, out of the people I know freelancing in both RPGs and outside of them, I know: - Folks who can't get jobs because insurance won't cover them - Folks recovering from debilitating head injuries - People with disabilities and long term illnesses - Trans people who...
  9. The Unshaven

You're right there, but unfortunately: america. As someone said earlier upthread, in a context of decent social support and some level of universal basic income, this would be a very different conversation. I think it's crueller to ignore what these people who are IN the industry are saying...
  10. The Unshaven

I disagree? I don't know for certain it WILL have an impact, but there are ways it could. "No singular entity has the power to force a given change, therefore there is no point in talking about the situation," seems to be hunting for a very particular kind of solution, not finding it, and...
  11. The Unshaven

I am continually bemused at the idea that publishing the equivalent of the SFWA's payment band is the same as 'mandating' anything.
  12. The Unshaven

Well, in theory yes but in practice it's not that simple. The article in the OP highlights that there are people whose circumstances are very limited by disability and other circumstances who have to work from home freelancing at something, and where their prior experience means the best chance...
  13. The Unshaven

Cyberpunk 2077 Trailer

Thanks for the link. I don't consider their version of events to be remotely plausible. Even if we do consider it plausible, that's one data point of a whole series of doleful vuvuzelas.
  14. The Unshaven

They'd love to: the whole article in the OP is highlighting how the most vulnerable people trying to use RPG writing to contribute to their survival are hamstrung in their efforts to do exactly that by the people for whom the money doesn't matter being willing to work for whatever. People using...
  15. The Unshaven

Seems reasonable to me, and I definitely think Beau's post is going to be useful for helping inform both freelancers and people who potentially could hire freelancers what the baselines need to be.
Top Bottom