• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

Recent content by Tom B

1. Tom B

Your gaming table: what's on it?

Mainly dice and character sheets. Usually snacks and drinks (water, soda, beer) Gaming books on a side table for reference Laptop for campaign/character notes, access to additional books (Our group never uses miniatures or battle maps. If absolutely necessary for clarity, I'll sketch out the...
  2. Tom B

Price point on HC RPG Books

Not sure of your experience, but I've never had a tablet crash. Having owned a cell phone for years, I also know better than to let it run out of power. So in the years since I switched primarily to PDFs those have been total non-issues. PDFs don't get cracked spines, stained or torn pages, or...
  3. Tom B

Is Chitty Chitty Bang Bang considered Steampunk?

Abney Park seems to think so...;)
  4. Tom B

This is me as well for the most part. The biggest problem is the durability isn't what it used to be. In the '80s, we could use the hell out of a book but we never worried about the spine cracking or pages coming loose. The last few hardback RPGs I've bought, I've been paranoid because the spine...
  5. Tom B

[Sci-Fi] Colony Ships?

Here's the Navoo from The Expanse. Designed as a generation ship, it was later...repurposed.
  6. Tom B

Tell me about your favorite tarot deck

I got it more because I liked the cards and the symbology, but if I had to pick a favorite I'd go with this:
  7. Tom B

Looking at the games we're currently running... $30ish, $30ish, $50ish for the core rule books. I have to be actually going to run a game before I'll buy a print copy, anything else I buy PDF. My first go-to after that would be e-Bay for a good price on a new copy. Then DTRPG, Amazon, or FLGS...
  8. Tom B

The XKCD Unpopular Positive Opinion Challenge

Ah, I just remembered one that definitely qualifies. It rates about 18%....but I actually enjoyed it. Probably due to the steampunk feel... 'Mutant Chronicles'...:D
  9. Tom B

Peter Capaldi's Doctor

I actually really liked Clara. Her arc was different than any other companion. The other companions were that...companions. Clara wanted to be more, she wanted to be proactive in the way the Doctor was...but without his experience and knowledge. As was proper...that didn't work out for her...
  10. Tom B

Setting vs. game mechanics.

It's the setting that gets people interested in the game (as player or GM), but it has to have a set of mechanic that suits that setting. So, while they're equally important, in my experience it's the setting that comes first and the mechanics that have to fit it. I've run a campaign using...
  11. Tom B

Sample combats in RPG books

EABA by BTRC. As an example of how the combat system works, (in particular, the increasing time scale from round-to-round) Greg Porter details the lobby combat scene in The Matrix. Very well done and matches almost perfectly. It stands out because most of the readers will be very familiar with...
  12. Tom B

As I see movies listed I didn't think to check, yeah, I can add more. Equilibrium, The One, Justice League.
  13. Tom B

Horror Movie Recommendations

The Lighthouse looks interesting. Robert Eggers, who directed The Witch, with Willem Dafoe.
  14. Tom B

Jupiter Ascending Final Fantasy: The Spirit Within Yep, I'm good. Enjoyed both of those, especially Jupiter Ascending.
  15. Tom B

Grand Central Arena/Arenaverse - what system would you use and why?

If you use a Kindle, the first book (Grand Central Arena) is available for free on Amazon.
Top Bottom