Recent content by vivsavage

1. V

Do you own DCC dice?

Dungeon Crawl Classics uses d3, d5, d7, d14, d16, and d24 dice in addition to the standard d4, d6,d8,d10,d12, and d20 most of us are used to. Do you own any or all of these dice? If so, do you use them for RPGs other than DCC? Or do you just collect dice?
  2. V

What old school adventures have been 'updated' to d20?

Do you mean have updated/converted them, or that there are official conversions?
  3. V

What old school adventures have been 'updated' to d20?

I have Tales From the Yawning Portal, a collection of adventures from previous editions updated to 5e. Are there any other older adventures that have been updated? Specifically, I'm looking for pre-3e adventures converted to 3e or 5e.
  4. V

Has the Traveler chargen system inspired any other RPGs?

You choose a branch of the military you want to join and roll to see if you're accepted. If you fail, you get drafted into a random branch. From there on, you roll to re-enlist. You also roll to see what skills you get, money, attribute bonuses, etc. You can even die during chargen!
  5. V

Has the Traveler chargen system inspired any other RPGs?

Has there ever been an RPG that uses a character generation system inspired by the original Traveler system, with characters attempting to be accepted into different branches of the military or organizations? I'm thinking of designing a fantasy RPG where, during chargen, players roll to see if...
  6. V

What is the best fantasy RPG based on 3.x?

Pathfinder? Iron Heroes? Arcana Evolved? D&D 3.5? Something else? What fantasy RPG using 3.x rules as its foundation do you feel is best?
  7. V

Is there an RPG where players lay out "dungeon rooms" on their turn?

I have some of those, and they are decent. What I'm thinking of is a game where the players choose what tiles & features get put down, some sort of countdown indicates a chance of an encounter happening. Perhaps like 13th Age's escalation die, but with the die indicating the chance of something...
  8. V

Yes, that's the closest fit I can think of.
  9. V

I'm imagining each player has a hand of cards they draw before the game starts. Then each lays a card down from their hand, at their discretion, when their turn comes. Something eventually triggers an event such as a monster fight. I'm not sure what would trigger it, though.
  10. V

Somewhat similar, but players wouldn't just lay out rooms, but also features such as altars, traps, statutes, etc. It would require miniatures like Betrayal at the House on the Hill.
  11. V

I know there are RPGs that don't require a GM. Do any of them have a mechanic where each player has a stack of "dungeon cards" featuring rooms, corridors, monsters, features, etc, and players lay a new card down on each of their turns until something triggers an event? I'm probably not doing a...
  12. V

"Fixing" OD&D's combat system

I had thought of that as well. It does add an interesting element of strategy.
  13. V

Yeah, that is an issue. If you're rolling 5 dice, for example, your chance of hitting AC 8 is 90.57%, AC 9 is 80.59%, AC 10 is 65.16%, AC 11 is 43.35% and AC 12 is 19.62%.
  14. V

Help me understand EGG's "Chainmail"

What about this as solution, rather than an interpretation: Combat values as given in OD&D (Man, Hero, Superhero) are rated in dice as in chainmail, with a minimum of 3 dice used (just hear me out...). You roll the dice and compare it against AC values ranging from 5 (unarmored) to 12 (plate &...
  15. V

I was reading OD&D and was puzzled by its seeming assumption that the default combat system was Chainmail, the miniatures game developed by Gary Gygax prior to D&D. Combat values are given as "Man+1, Hero, Hero +1," etc. If you don't have Chainmail, these things make zero sense. Even if you do...
Top Bottom