Search results

1. s/LaSH

Nonlethal science fiction combat(plausibility of stun weapons?)

Important question: Why? If nonlethal munitions are just as good as, or better than, lethal munitions at stopping people, what incentives do you have to go lethal? It's obviously not the case right now; nonlethals are nowhere near as stoppy as lethals. But other than stopping power, what are...
  2. s/LaSH

[Speculation] DC Realtime: 1938-?

Exactly, exactly. It's not too useful to my ends, which are "really just mash it all in there, use your elbows", but it gives you a bit of flex if you want it. This would be an example of a homochron incline, where universes blend smoothly into one another. Heterochron junctions like "who...
  3. s/LaSH

Star Wars Episode IX: The Rise of Skywalker Teaser Trailer

For me, yeah, the most jarring difference was aesthetic: TLJ was a very funny movie, in ways that TFA wasn't. I think Abrams was more successful at aping George Lucas' style of humour, which is basically "let Harrison Ford do what he wants", and what Ford wants can be a subtle roll of the eyes...
  4. s/LaSH

[Let's Read] 13th Age Bestiary

Thousands of minuscule biting spiders who are the ghosts of every spider you accidentally crushed/drowned/swept up. At that point this tiny clown costume with 4 sleeves and 4 legs seems almost redundant.
  5. s/LaSH

Very different. It's a Videl-centric story, starting off with her meeting a weird superhero and challenging him to fight at the Tenkaichi Budoukai. And everybody keeps talking about this Son Goku guy, but he's dead... It's my attempt to rein in the power creep and rearrange the familiar pieces...
  6. s/LaSH

One solution to the problem of how difficult it is to reliably and merely incapacitate someone? Mecha. Specifically, small but powerful robots, probably in the medium-dog size range. They're big enough to have good mechanical power to overpower somebody, small enough to navigate complex...
  7. s/LaSH

Speaking purely from a perspective of personal enjoyment, I find myself less than fond of recent trends in multiverse structure from DC. Rather than bag on things that are clearly getting some people excited, though, I'll outline what I value in a multiverse setup. A multiverse is basically a...
  8. s/LaSH

So what's the scoop? And, pursuant to my purposes, is it likely to stick as an engine for generating stories for sustainable characters? I'm not opposed to big crossover cosmic events, but note also that this thread doesn't really have Crisis On Infinite Earths. Something happened to Barry...
  9. s/LaSH

Which reminds me: electrolasers. Another real thing. The key is the LIPC: laser induced plasma channel. Basically, shine a powerful laser through air and you strip the electrons off air molecules, getting a plasma channel that acts as an electrical conduit between you and the target. Do the...
  10. s/LaSH

[Let's Read] The 4e Monster Manual and Monster Vault

It's not a very advanced devil. Its idea of spreading malice through subtlety and manipulation is to have a beard... which is secretly a hurty beard. It would be all over the idea of posing as fake Santa Clauses, except it can't get through the interview process without inviting someone to...
  11. s/LaSH

[NSFW][Lewd][Not for little children][Let's Read] Book of Erotic Fantasy

Now where's our template for "wears glasses"? Please don't tell me there's a template for "wears glasses". Not because there's anything wrong with glasses. It's just that I shouldn't have to explain the concept of the equipment table in World's Most Popular Fantasy Game.
  12. s/LaSH

[NSFW][Lewd][Not for little children][Let's Read] Book of Erotic Fantasy

I'm assuming you get a nekomata, but wearing cat ears on top of its regular cat ears. You can get pretty disoriented when a youkai cosplays as the same youkai.
  13. s/LaSH

A few non-lethal weapon concepts of various flavours of sci-fi: - Shutdown signal. Everybody is networked, and part of the package is a simple general anaesthetic module buried somewhere in the brainstem socket. It's intended for surgical purposes, but it also has law enforcement applications...
  14. s/LaSH

RIP Gene Wolfe

It's difficult to say something about such a legacy, as my understanding of it is incomplete, on account of deliberate and artful obfuscation. I can only speak of my experience, which was sufficiently excellent to bend my brow.
  15. s/LaSH

[Spoilers] [General Anime Spring 2019] I Like Shorts! They're Comfy and Easy to Watch!

Of all the weird things to bring up, I'm going to mention "Some Like It Hot", the 1959 Marilyn Munroe movie. Two male musicians spend most of the film in drag, pretending to be members of a female entertainment group, because they witnessed a mob killing and have to lay low. Most of this time...
  16. s/LaSH

Pleasantly surprised

Clearly wrong. Every man of reason knows that E. E. "Doc" Smith wrote the only science fiction worthy of the title. (Not actually true; I love his work dearly, and feel that he basically figured out rules for space opera that are still treated as gospel, AND would like to see someone else...
  17. s/LaSH

Honestly it's what I want out of Star Wars too: a Galaxy free of endless reiterations of the original trilogy. Give me bad guys who don't rely on stormtroopers - I've been asking for decades. A splintered Farfaraway gives us the option for new stuff, without losing the old stuff forever. George...
  18. s/LaSH

Thinking about it, if they're really rounding off the Skywalker Saga in EpIX, that might be more intimately tied with the concept of the Galactic Empire. The prequels dealt with its rise; the originals dealt with its supremacy and fall; and the sequels deal with its successor - and, perhaps, its...
  19. s/LaSH

This is exactly the level of minotaur cheese (or something else bull-related) that befits the Shazam family. The wizard's magic is honestly pretty loose - it's how Mary Batson just kinda turned into a superhero one day, and three other guys named William Batson from different parts of the...
Top Bottom