Search results

1. Derrick Kapchinsky

What’s Your Ideal Sci-Fi RPG

My current preferred flavour of sci-fi is pretty Guardians-esque, and Bulldogs! hits that more closely than anything else I can think of. So that's what I'd go with at the moment. Edit: Unless I just want to play a straight up Guardians game. Then I'd go with Marvel Heroic.
  2. Derrick Kapchinsky

Let's explore all the Middle-Earth games

I haven't played Torchbearer, so salt to taste, but I do know that it's about resource management in a dungeon crawl. So my guess would be that it isn't Tolkien flavoured at all. Likewise, I never really found Mouseguard to be all that Tolkien inspired either. If I wanted to play hobbits...
  3. Derrick Kapchinsky

Social mechanics - when did they become good ?

Burning Wheel does. Duel of Wits always has the possibility of ending poorly for a player. NPC's can win a DoW just as easily (or in the case of my current game, WAY more easily) as a player can and when that happens, the player is just as bound to the result as the NPC would have been. And...
  4. Derrick Kapchinsky

Exalted hacks & heartbreakers?

For what it’s worth, I had bounced hard off of Godbound for this exact same reason. I’m not a D&D guy, and the OSR, in general, has very little appeal for me. But once I actually tried it, I found that most of my D&D-based objections were largely mitigated and the actual Godbound stuff...
  5. Derrick Kapchinsky

The Burning Wheel: Gold Edition Revised

There's also a big thing at the beginning of the Traits chapter about creating new Traits. But, yeah, that and Grief are the only changes that are noticeable without doing a side-by-side comparison.
  6. Derrick Kapchinsky

[Poll] Your Favorite RPG Genre

I voted for Modern, but I kind of just want every game I play to be “the Wire + X”. Can Wire be a genre? = p
  7. Derrick Kapchinsky

Why no English Steven Universe or Adventure Time RPGs?

This isn’t how licenses work. Nosolrol has the Spanish language license and only the Spanish language license. If someone wanted to make a English SU game (or one for any other language), they’d have to have a separate licensing agreement, which would certainly be much more expensive than...
  8. Derrick Kapchinsky

Player questions for a session zero (input on setting)

I consider these to be important session 0 questions regardless, but I think they’re even more important in a setting where the players have a lot of input. 1) why do your characters care about exploring the ocean (or interacting with the games premise)? 2) why do your characters care about...
  9. Derrick Kapchinsky

[Meta] Let’s talk about CharGen

I'll add another vote for PbtA style playbooks as the best, with a different reason (although I agree with the other stated reasons as well). It's a single, double-sided piece of paper that and between that and a 2nd double-sided piece of paper, you'll have 90% or more of everything you'll ever...
  10. Derrick Kapchinsky

[PBtA] Hearing the phrase "The best thing to do is avoid rolling dice"

I guess I just don't understand how it's a perverse incentive. Like I said a moment ago, if you want to Seize By Force, that's cool. I will work with you so that you can do that. But you actually have to make the move fictionally as well as mechanically.
  11. Derrick Kapchinsky

I have no problem with people wanting to make moves with their high stats. Tell me that and I'll help you do it. What I consider to be bad faith is lying to me about what you want in order to do it.
  12. Derrick Kapchinsky

Sure, but I'm assuming that everyone who plays with me is playing in good faith (which very well could include telling me, "I'm not having fun here, so I'm going to bow out). I'm not overly worried about someone doing something like this, because they just are not going to be playing with me...
  13. Derrick Kapchinsky

It's possible. But "what's more or less advantageous to the player" isn't as important a question for the system, and for me as the MC, as "what does the player want and how are they trying to achieve that" is. Although I can totally understand how that would be something that the player was...
  14. Derrick Kapchinsky

I think this is a good point. It's possible that someone very well may have to enjoy failure for its own sake sometimes in order to really like PbtA. And if failure is never anything other than something to be avoided at all costs, then that person probably won't ever really be on board with...
  15. Derrick Kapchinsky

*facepalm*. I should have known. It seems like a super high percent of the time somebody tells a PbtA horror story, it turns out the the GM was trying to run a plot. If you, as the GM are only ever going to follow one rule, it should be, “don’t have a fucking plot!”
  16. Derrick Kapchinsky

First of all, Dungeon World is a poor example of what PbtA can do. While it’s still very possible that the system just might not be for you, I wouldn’t base that entirely on DW, especially with the GM that you had. As @Cosmic Hobo said, your GM was just flat out wrong when he told you that...
  17. Derrick Kapchinsky

I think that part of this is an issue that I have with the Sprawl specifically, in that I don't believe that PbtA is a particular good system for games where the point is to go on missions as a team. When I hear people talk about what they don't like about it, they usually say things close to...
  18. Derrick Kapchinsky

How much should players know?

This is very similar to how I run games and how I like games to be run when I'm a player. The only real difference is that I'm also very much in the camp of "setting should be created collaboratively during session zero." So, I'd say that players should nearly be on the same level as the GM...
  19. Derrick Kapchinsky

RPG Crushes

Yeah, Origins is obviously going to be closest to you and they definitely have an Indy presence. And, of course, you’re within driving distance to GenCon, which, by virtue of having everything, also has a lot of Indy games being played. And if you’re looking for something smaller, there’s...
  20. Derrick Kapchinsky

RPG Crushes

What part of the country are you in? There are actually a lot of smaller cons that have a strong focus on indie games. My own biggest crush is probably Burning Wheel right now. Despite being in a campaign of it right now, pretty much every time I get an idea for a new game, I want to do it...
Top Bottom