Search results

1. W

How much time do you give to break in brand new players?

I have a player exactly like this. In my case, the player has some sort of cognitive disability and as well as a speech impediment. However, I let him keep playing because kicking out a person for behaviors they can't help seemed like a dick move (I'm not judging you or your situation though)...
  2. W

The Ballad of Min-Maximus (how a power-gamer ruined Wild Talents)

Another problem with systems with disadvantages: so many disadvantages don't really disadvantage the character at all. In Shadowrun 2e, there was a disadvantage where the character couldn't get cyberware. Magic-users were already heavily penalized for getting cyberware, so this disadvantage was...
  3. W

The Ballad of Min-Maximus (how a power-gamer ruined Wild Talents)

All these stories make me grit my teeth in frustration. I'm usually annoyed that none of my players bother to learn the rules, but this thread has kind of made me appreciate it instead.
  4. W

OSR Games (Labyrinth Lord) Straffshire: Village of Planar Fugitives

After many requests, this is now available in print in demand from DriveThruRPG. I hope you dig it!
  5. W

Green Apocalypse

Heavy Weather is a good suggestion! Maybe it doesn't fit neatly into the post-apocalyptic genre, but it is an interesting take on environmental catastrophe. Yeah. I just came into this thread because I wanted to see if someone posted this. "Green apocalypse" isn't too well-defined, so I'd count...
  6. W

Green Apocalypse

Novels... Earth in Twilight by Doris Piserchia Hothouse by Brian Aldiss
  7. W

Single Book RPG Recommendations

It seems to me, one thing that many single book games miss are stat blocks for NPCs, monsters, and other adversaries. They either don't have any, or don't have enough.
  8. W

player's options: more is more

I was talking to someone about their homebrew fantasy game, and he proudly proclaimed that it had 50 races and 100 classes. Something about that excess struck a chord with me and got me thinking. What games are out there with a truly absurd number of player options (classes, races, feats...
  9. W

Single Book RPG Recommendations

I think the FFG Star Wars and Warhammer 40k games are remarkably complete in one book. Both have lots of character options setting info, monsters and NPCs, gear, and a complete adventure.
  10. W

Free RPG Day 2019 Any Plans to Run a Game?

Mission accomplished: You inspired me. If my FLGS is doing something, I'll volunteer. What game do I want to run though... hmm...
  11. W

Best Sci-Fi RPGs: Setting and System

My players wouldn't read a book as campaign prep. I don't think most players would. This why I have trouble selling the EP concept to people. It requires too much investment to understand unless you know the literature it comes from (which I do).
  12. W

Best Sci-Fi RPGs: Setting and System

Concerning Settings: Eclipse Phase has an awesome setting, but I struggle to actually run it. I don't really think Firewall and the mystery of theTitans are that interesting, but that seems to be the central conflict of the setting. Also, I think it is really hard to explain the setting new...
  13. W

[Discord] Sailor Moon RPG

We've got a pretty good group for this game, but new players are still welcome. Drop in the Discord server (https://discord.gg/4RHHuu4) if you want to join in. The first session is this Friday (4/5) at 8PM CST.
  14. W

Here's the server: https://discord.gg/4RHHuu4 I pinned a few notes to get everyone up to speed. I've got 4 interested players currently, but with schedules and all, who knows how many can make the first session. If you know anyone that might be interested invite them to come.
  15. W

I'm free evenings and weekends. I'm in CST. I'm thinking that we could play once or twice a month. I've also got a couple of people interested on another forum too. If no one has a better idea for a campaign, I'd probably run a retelling of the first season of the anime. However, the Sailor...
  16. W

OSR Games (Labyrinth Lord) Straffshire: Village of Planar Fugitives

Everyone's eleventh favorite campaign setting is back, and you can get it on Drivethrurpg. Thank goodness! Straffshire is a gonzo, high fantasy setting for Labyrinth Lord. In the plane-shifting village of Straffshire, mortals, fey, demons, undead, sapient animals, and other creatures...
  17. W

This is probably a shot in the dark, but... Does anyone want to do a Sailor Moon mini-campaign using Guardians of Order's old Sailor Moon game? I'm volunteering to GM, but I'm open to someone else doing it too. I've been GMing various systems for about 20 years. We could take this in a lot of...
  18. W

Gamma World settings -- let's talk about them

My unpopular opinion: The Gamma World based on D&D 4e had a pretty evocative premise. Basically, all of Earth's realities were merged into one by a broken Super Collider accident. In most of these realities, Earth was partially destroyed by a nuclear war. It's a wacky premise that easily...
  19. W

Straffshire: Village of Planar Fugitives (5e)

Straffshire: Village of Planar Fugitives is now available on DriveThruRPG. You can also check out this preview PDF for a glimpse inside. If you have a role-playing blog and would like a free copy of Straffshire to review, please reach out to me. Thanks so much! Straffshire is a setting for...
Top Bottom