• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

Search results

1. manwhat

[Mage: the Awakening 2e] Melbourne, Most Livable City

A long long time ago, I played Mage. I was inspired later by DaveB's threads, of course, but still never really had the chance to run my own game for various factors. Now, finally, I have a group - one where scheduling may be inconsistent, so don't expect regular updates, but we have a change to...
  2. manwhat

Search by subforum / 'older than'?

Sorry if I've missed some very obvious functionality. Is there a way within the forums to search for threads older than a certain date? There's a 'newer than' option, but not the reverse. Likewise, is there a way to limit it by subforum? I can see tag searches and company prefixes (not sure...
  3. manwhat

[mostly just venting/ranting] I never want to hear "the rules are just guidelines"

Once upon a time a few decades ago RPGs were new. Modern gaming was new. Designers had to go with their gut and make changes on the fly. It's 2018 now. 44 years have passed since the first release of OD&D. In that time we have learned a thing or two, collectively, about writing and designing...
  4. manwhat

I praise global difficulty charts!

Now and then I see complaints of RPGs that often a game will have little guidance given to a GM on how to deal with a scenario. They'll have to make a ruling that may or may not be consistent, or try to make up some difficulty or set of actions that applies, that if they're inexperienced may or...
  5. manwhat

What's 'holdoing'?

I've seen it in one or two Infraction notifications but have no idea what it means, other than incorporating the name of a Star Wars character.
  6. manwhat

Why does 'video gamey' get used as a negative?

Sometimes I see people say something like "it's an OK mechanic, but it feels a bit video gamey" or "yeah, it's kind of MMO like" said as a negative, and I'm kind of confused because... why is it automatically a negative? RPGs are games. Video games are games. They're both games and can...
  7. manwhat

'Asshole Rivals' - a theoretical RPG with theory questions at the end

Asshole Rivals OK, I made the title a bit eye-catching on purpose. It also sets the tone of the game. Theme/Setting/Fluff/Inspirations Mostly what I had in mind is the movie The Prestige, but any movie/book/media that features two characters one-upping one another in an escalating manner is an...
  8. manwhat

What makes Shadow of the Demon Lord so attractive to DnD5e players?

This is not a bash "DnD5e" thread. This may be confirmation bias and I'm imagining things. But frequently in some RPG sections of the internet, like discords, and reddit, I see people saying "I like DND5e and the fantasy style, but I want more x and y..." And very frequently SotDL appears...
  9. manwhat

Lay on Watchable Games with Good Plots (that I haven't played yet)

My girlfriend enjoys watching me play games. No, really. And we like watching good LPs together just like we like watching good TV shows together. But at this point in our relationship... we seem to have gone through almost all the watchable games I can play. I need recommendations! I've...
  10. manwhat

[5e] Crowdsourcing Homebrew - a cleric-alternative 'Tactician' class

So for a while I've gotten the hankering, as many have, to make a '5e warlord' class. The issue with a lot of '5e warlords' I see is that while they faithfully replicate some of the mechanics in 5e terms, the systems between 4e and 5e have enough differences in actual battle that the actual...
  11. manwhat

Clarification on personal attacks and professional claims

Based on the following modpost: What exactly is the difference in the last two statements? Stealing labor is thievery, isn't it? Does this mean that the statement "Bob Wizardpants has been stated to enjoy kicking puppies, has done so in the past, and intends to do so in the future" is OK, but...
  12. manwhat

Talking and Arguing about Immersion!

So I've had this discussion in other threads. And I was reminded of it in the "PbtA is the best and worst game for my group" thread. But not everyone plays PbtA, and in other threads I kinda derailed them instead of properly shunting it off. So I figure I can put this here and in the future say...
  13. manwhat

[5e] A minor champion fix

Currently the Champion is the worst fighter archetype. It's been mathed out that even if you build your hardest to make a champion build do max damage, you need to go through an enormous number of attacks to even come up equal to a battlemaster who just spams the same maneuver over and over. And...
  14. manwhat

💀 Necro [rant] Why does magic keep being the lone dedicated subsystem?

This is basically a rant/vent so, just getting that out the way. So anyway, this clearly isn't something that applies to all games. Even a majority. But it does apply to a lot of them and seems to be a requirement for some gamers that I don't really understand. One way that a lot of video...
  15. manwhat

[5e] Homebrew classes that are actually good?

A while back, I was going to play in a campaign that allowed homebrew material as long as the GM looked it over, and it seemed like a fun experiment for all involved. In the end, though, all but one player picked a standard DnD class, and it was just the races that were homebrew in any way for...
  16. manwhat

Why the obsession with 'realism' in heartbreakers?

Pretty often in fantasy heartbreakers - you know, "it's like DnD but better, and -" one of the selling points is 'more realistic'. And I'm sure it's shown up in a couple of published games, too. Why does 'more realistic' seem to keep cropping up, even among people with limited exposure to...
  17. manwhat

WoD/CofD and similar - what happens in the suburbs?

I came to WoD/CofD relatively late, so what's now called CofD could be considered my main exposure. A lot of the general setting setups are located in the city to support the sort of social structures the games are known for. If you're playing a CofD game, then you want that kind of political...
  18. manwhat

What effort is needed to make 5e 'statless' (from the PC end)?

With 5e's bounded accuracy being pretty clear, it seems like the six stats in the game are basically an unneeded middleman - not just the scores but the divisions themselves. It creates 'multiple attribute dependency' problems and means concepts like "smart fighter with leadership qualities" can...
  19. manwhat

Fluff, crunch - and the third thing in between?

(with apologies to Sage Genesis for using a similar title to his old but interesting-to-read thread Crunch, fluff and... the other thing.) From a discussion that started out DnD-related, but that also got me thinking about 'fiction first' games, and also me thinking about me hating 'GM...
  20. manwhat

Night In the Woods is a game about being 20ish and learning to adult

VGO didn't have a thread about this game yet despite it being right up the conceptual alley. Pre-release trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u17kM8oSz3k In Night In the Woods you play Mae, a small, slightly rotund 20-year old college student who's just dropped out, and is coming home to...
Top Bottom