• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

Search results

1. Daz Florp Lebam

[5E] Passive skills: what the heck - why not *all* of them?

So, Passive Perception is definitely a thing that, AFAICT, is on a lot of character sheets and gets a fair amount of use in lots of people 's games. Passive Investigation is the Sherlock Holmes thing, where he just notices little useful details without even really trying. Passive Insight makes...
  2. Daz Florp Lebam

Is there a GURPS renaissance happening? (No, not a GURPS Renaissance renaissance)

I couldn't help but notice that on the first page alone of my Roleplay-By-Post Meta Forum feed there are 7 - count 'em, seven! - GURPS-related interest, recruitment, and play threads. There's 3 on the next page. What is going on? Is this a fluke? A trend? Is there something significant...
  3. Daz Florp Lebam

Trade Marvel SAGA lot, Smallville, IJ Lands of Adventure, Witch Hunt, MORE - for D&D 5E, Conan, John Carter

Getting rid of stuff I love but that I sadly have never used in all the years (or, in some cases, decades) I have owned them. I would rather they be in the hands of someone who will have some actual fun with them. I have pictures of all this, but is that frowned upon, bandwidth-wise...
  4. Daz Florp Lebam

[5E] Idea: spend ability score point-buy on things other than ability scores

I haven't given this a whole lot fo thought yet, but it popped into my heads this past weekend, and if I wait to talk about it until I've hammered something out it might never happen, so: You're using the point-buy option for determining starting ability scores. That system starts all scores at...
  5. Daz Florp Lebam

[5E-ish] Your assignment: compare and contrast Forgotten Realms and Greyhawk

With 5E's Saltmarsh book being default-set in the world of Greyhawk, I ask ye, o hivemind: what are the differences between the Forgotten Realms and the world of Greyhawk? I can find basic, technical setting details with a quick online search, and reviews are useful, but those doesn't give me a...
  6. Daz Florp Lebam

🎨 Creative What would RPGs be like if they'd originated in [time period before the '70s]?

Since I don't know a lot about the history of the tabletop war simulation games from whose loins sprang the original D&D, or about historical trends in tabletop gaming in general, I put it to you, TROicans: Pick a time period before the 1970s (when the great blessing of D&D was bestowed upon...
  7. Daz Florp Lebam

[5E] Share your experiences with the DMG's Ability, Adventuring, and Combat Options

I am curious about how the various options found in Chapter 9: "Dungeon Master's Workshop" play out at the table. For convenience, I will list them below, along with my thoughts and theories as to how I think they might work. Prove me right or wrong! Ability Proficiency Dice. This seems like...
  8. Daz Florp Lebam

Just learned a terrible secret about myself as a GM - I don't care about characters! :(

It seems to be true. It may partly have to do with my ADD, but I simply cannot remember things about the backgrounds about my players' PCs. But then, I can't track much of anything unless in front of my face, or maybe if it's stuff that I've come up with. And the stuff I've come up with I lose...
  9. Daz Florp Lebam

ISTTOMKO: settings where magic is more powerful underground

I'm just going to cut and paste a friend's question to me, and run it past the Great Forum Hivemind: "I was reading a National Geographic article on Borneo caves this morning, and that got me thinking of caves in Tolkien, and the Mines of Moria, and Smaug's lair, and Gaelic and Chinese folk...
  10. Daz Florp Lebam

[Masks] I've never run it, might be soon - help!

We took a recent poll in our face-to-face gaming group, to figure out what to play next. There were a few propositions and pitches, and one of them was for me to run Masks: A New Generation. So far, it has the most votes. "Teen supers" is an idea that has come up in the group a couple times...
  11. Daz Florp Lebam

[10 Year Challenge] What were you playing 10 years ago?

Because the #10YearChallenge is a thing, but because we're gaming nerds, instead of posting pictures of ourselves from 10 years ago and then pictures of ourselves now, let's talk about what our tabletop rpg playing was like 10 years ago, and possibly compare it to what that's all like now...
  12. Daz Florp Lebam

[5E] Un-hate my hate of classes

For the most part, I do not like the feel of classes in 5E because of a structural "same-iness" they have. It seems like every class gets similar powers at the same levels. Spells offset this, and offer a way to tweak and specialize a character's style, function, utility or what-have-you. But if...
  13. Daz Florp Lebam

[all media] Previews or sneak-peeks you totally mis-anticipated

I was just thinking about how when I saw the in-house ads for Marvel's "New Universe", in late 1985 or early 1986... ...I for some reason assumed it was going to be a version of the MU wherein all the characters were there and had their births and first appearances at the same time as the MU...
  14. Daz Florp Lebam

[+] laud the strengths of particular OSR games, please!

I'll be honest: for quite a while I poo-poo-ed the whole OSR movement. I'm old enough to have played the games they're modeled after back when they were new games, but I had no nostalgia - that I was aware of - for the rules or mechanics themselves. However, my issues with recent D&D-esque game...
  15. Daz Florp Lebam

[5E] How to include those lonely, mechanics-free Background Traits sitting in the corner

So, it keeps bugging me that every other single thing on my character sheet in 5E has rules mechanics, dice you roll, proficiencies, bonuses, advantage, resistance, yadda yadda yadda....and then there's Background Traits. Personality, Ideals, Bonds, and Flaws have no mechanical effect on play...
  16. Daz Florp Lebam

[Star Trek] The Most "*This* is TNG" Episodes?

Back in the old [VLTP] Star Trek - Skip original? thread, I postulated an "Essential TOS" episode list - a way to express to the uninitiated what made TOS what it was and what it became, in as few episodes as possible. The trick is to capture the iconic ideas, style, tone, and character...
  17. Daz Florp Lebam

[OSR] how does OSR D&Dishness *feel* different than later editions

I am genuinely curious. I've been playing D&D since the late '70s, have played all the editions when they were the current edition, but have never gone back to play previous editions. I don't know why that is, even though I've had opportunities to do so. I used to think my nostalgia for those...
  18. Daz Florp Lebam

[5E] Halp! As a DM, I can't run multiple spellcasters in combat without going insane

As a rule, even as a player I don't run spellcasters, because there's just too many decisions to make and too many things to keep track of. I've done it and I'm sure I'll do it again, but I shy away from it. So imagine my frustration when, as a DM, I find myself running multiple NPC...
  19. Daz Florp Lebam

[5E AiME] help me build a very-late-2nd-Age/very-early-3rd-Age Middle Earth

So I gots me this idea, for when our current D&D 5E game is over, which will be before the end of the year based on how things are going now. I thought an Adventures in Middle-earth game would be a good way to still run a D&D game (which attracts lots of players, and I'd rather have "too many"...
  20. Daz Florp Lebam

Thoughts on combat alternatives: hit points, wound levels, crippling attacks

Here's a thing I've been thinking about. I've been running D&D 5E for quite a while now, and I'm finding combats a little unsatisfying. I mean, I'm good at flavoring things up and improvising, but...well - I gots ideas! One issue is the monotony of just marking off hit points, and how...
Top Bottom