• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

Search results

1. Wil

[SilCore] Silhouette Core and Math

I was allowing PCs to exchange skill dice for various effects long before SilCore. Discussions of those things likely resulted in their inclusion in SilCore (not the only things either, I forgot which mechanic it was but one of my house rules wound up in there almost verbatim, with my permission...
  2. Wil

What Games Should Ditch Their House Systems

You mean Eminence? In straight Sil I already allow Eminence use if the player can work the Eminence into a sentence. In Fate, they're Aspects and can be invoked or used as permission to Create Advantage. In Cortex it's even smoother because they're rated traits, so if they're relevant they can...
  3. Wil

Pelgrane Press disassociates Jonathan Tweet from 13th Age/Pelgrane

I feel the same way (although I feel that I already knew this and didn't need to have that reaffirmed). It doesn't speak to the rapaciousness of individual elements of liberal Twitter, who based their original gonzo racist assessment on that single initial tweet (and triggered this entire...
  4. Wil

Another thread to sell Fate Aspects to those who ain't buyin'

Yeah, that's a given and has been discussed. But the disconnect that people have between narrative permissions and mechanical effect I see as not understanding that abstraction layer.
  5. Wil

It's because there's a line between an aspect being true ("Fire is hot") and it having mechanical impact ("Fire gives you a +2 to burn something"). Aspects are kind of an abstraction layer between the fiction ("Because I'm a fireman, of course I would know how to use a fire hose") and the system...
  6. Wil

It really appears that the "taboo" stance is a mix of that, calls for more diversity in academia (based on the belief that the voices are too one sided) and the question of "If it's really happening, isn't that bad and shouldn't something be done about it?" I'm very unqualified to make that...
  7. Wil

No, in both those cases they would need to roll, at least I would run it. There's no automatic success implied by either aspect, and depending on the tone and style of the game it might shut down a random person from trying to just use Persuade without having an aspect like that. In fact, it...
  8. Wil

🎨 Creative Better alternatives to bad medical problems in stories/games

Honestly, in games with stress, being taken out, concession, etc. I just have the opponents get to the point they can't or don't want to fight any more. They're beaten, bruised, out of breath, energy sapped.
  9. Wil

Honestly, along with the fact that he is coming from what he believes is an intellectual space (and believes are intellectual subjects)...he just doesn't Twitter well. But Twitter doesn't Twittter well, and once something like this gets out of control it goes from just being "oh look he half...
  10. Wil

They often aren't. But in a nutshell, approaches simply are how your character is doing something, versus what the character is doing. Fred Hicks has a decent post about hacking FAE: https://www.deadlyfredly.com/2015/09/fae-q-approach-alts/
  11. Wil

Yes. That's what happens in the fiction, a lot. The same way she knows she can't punch a car and knock it sideways. Thor could certainly do that, and Hulk could probably do it with a light slap. Because, it's easier for Hulk to do it then Thor, who it is easier for than Black Widow. And as such...
  12. Wil

I thought the OP was referring to always applicable in a pool, not an always applicable trait. They cleared that up already.
  13. Wil

OMG, I don't know how I have never seen that.
  14. Wil

What you're talking about is enforced by genre conventions, and the table, versus the system. It's simply unavoidable with a game like Fate. But internally Fate is consistent, and while I could belabor a number of things (e.g., "disagreeable things")...I'll just leave it at what you said, it's...
  15. Wil

Distinctions may have always been applicable in previous versions of Cortex, but I don't think they are in CP. Pools are built from relevant traits, and nowhere does it specify that distinctions, or any trait, are always included.
  16. Wil

I was going to mention scoped aspects, which is a simple and common fix.
  17. Wil

I don't mean to be dismissive, but this is pretty much a failure on the GM's part. Is it possible to stack aspects and get an insane bonus? In a white room scenario, yes. It's possible in many systems to set up a similar scenario. Would it happen at my table? Not unless I wasn't paying...
  18. Wil

I'm not sure I'm understanding - you don't spend Fate points until *after* the dice are rolled. I also admit I'm not familiar with Dresden, so maybe there's some mechanic in not aware of. But if it wasn't DFA, Dresden's implementation for sure isn't Fate Core. That's not the fault of the...
  19. Wil

The other thing that often doesn't get discussed often is how aspects inform success or failure, and risk. Those factors can lead to a different outcome if Superman or Batman lifts a girder, even if they both succeed. Rob Donoghue actually has an excellent post about risk here...
  20. Wil

So in the case of Superman vs Batman, you invoke Batman's Tibetan Martial Artist or whatever aspect, raise the passive difficulty by 2, and give the player a Fate point. Either way, the aspect is informing the capability of either one to lift a girder in addition to any other factors (Physique...
Top Bottom