• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

Search results

1. N

Let's Read: Advanced Dungeons & Dragons Monster Manual II (1e)

There are several female demon princes listed: Nocticula and Zuggtmoy. I think you may have misread something.
  2. N

[Let’s Read] Volo’s Guide to Monsters

The easiest answer to the naming question: Abomination and malison are yuan-ti words; when demihumans call something an abomination, they’re comparing them to the snake men. “Pureblood” refers to the fact that they’re still technically human, to the point that, as mentioned earlier, purebloods...
  3. N

Agreed. When Pathfinder said that demodands were the creations of false gods, mockeries of the concept of life and proof that their makers were fundamentally incapable of true imagination, it was only slightly exaggerating. There’s just... nothing to them. You can use them in clever ways, as...
  4. N

[Let's Read] D&D 3.5 Monster Manual III

I remember one supplement introduced trow as halfling-sized trolls, giving them the rather oxymoronic type of Small Giant.
  5. N

Yuan-Ti Nightmare Speaker Nightmare speakers are yuan-ti priests who worship Dendar the Night Serpent, granted power in return for inspiring nightmares among their fellow mortals. They’re known for their cruelty, working constantly to spread fear, either by torturing prisoners or...
  6. N

"No one can be told what the Matrix is" - "complicated" media that isn't

That’s just Lovecraft, I think. He was breathtakingly, paralyzingly terrified of everything from seafood to air conditioning. The man never encountered a concept which did not inspire some deep-sated cosmic horror in him. When his stories work is when, just for a moment, he’s able to share that...
  7. N

Yuan-Ti Mind Whisperer That is indeed a picture of a malison with no distinguishing features. Mind whisperers are worshippers of Sseth, the Sibilant Death, who influence the minds of others to gather supplicants and weave webs of deceit. Even by yuan-ti standards, they’re self-important and...
  8. N

Yuan-Ti Broodguard In previous editions, broodguards were the mutated results of failed attempts at transforming humanoids into creatures called tainted ones, who don’t change outwardly, but become utterly loyal servants of the yuan-ti. This aspect has been removed, presumably because a...
  9. N

And now we come to this book’s most original concept: A group of fiends with winged humanoid bodies differentiated primarily by a single adjective which defines each type, living in a strictly stratified society where type denotes rank. I have never heard a satisfactory explanation of what...
  10. N

Yuan-Ti Anathema This is one design I will criticize. The ‘body-of-snakes’ design of previous editions was both cooler and more interesting. Yuan-ti abominations who perform the caste advancement ritual go through a quick yet painful transformation which leaves them as anathema. Anathema...
  11. N

Cats Movie first trailer

Having this open the same day as Star Wars is certainly a choice.
  12. N

RWBY Thread 2: It's Also a Gun

This argument only ever gets brought up about gay ships and there’s a reason for that.
  13. N

5e changes things up a bit. In 5e, liches must feed souls into their phylacteries to maintain their immortality, which is a change I approve of, as it never really made sense before why they qualify as uniformly evil creatures. A demilich is what happens when a lich fails to feed on souls...
  14. N

Yeth Hound Here we have another of DnD’s illustrious dog monsters. Yeth hounds are specifically horrible hounds of a fey bent, meant to represent the hounds who might accompany the Wild Hunt or be sent by a sidhe noble to tear apart those who have slighted her. I have no idea who or what a...
  15. N

[Let's Read] D&D 3.5 Monster Manual III

One of my favorite setting details that I’ve ever come up with was the idea that mimics are far more common than anyone realizes. Everyone’s certainly interacted with one at some point in their lives. It’s just that the vast majority of them subsist on rats and bugs, and are entirely...
  16. N

Xvart I don’t think there’s ever been a DnD monster as unnecessary as the xvart. I’m sure you’re all aware of the hierarchy of humanoids. In OD&D, there was no mechanic for giving monsters character levels, so new humanoids had to be created to battle characters ar each possible increment of...
  17. N

Genies are also used as mounts a ton in the original folklore.
  18. N

Wood Woad I’m not sure when wood woads entered DnD, exactly, but I can’t find images from earlier than 3e online, so I’ll go with that. While the mythological wood woad is something like a sasquatch, the DnD version has always been a creature built out of wood. Wood woads are guardians...
Top Bottom