• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

Search results

1. johnthedm7000

Discordance: Character Creation (Make a character and let me know how it goes)

Hey folks, so I've been working on my weird-fantasy game Discordance for some time now and have finally figured out a rough draft of character creation. It would help me tremendously if you all would run through it and post your thoughts on the process. Specifically, I'd like to hear about...
  2. johnthedm7000

A Resolution System For Your Consideration

So Discordance has hit a massive snag: the core resolution system is somewhat clunky and doesn't evoke a feeling of weird, eldritch Victorian fantasy. It feels like a hack of the Blades in the Dark resolution system, which I'm a huge a fan of and which for me sets a high bar insofar as the...
  3. johnthedm7000

Discordance: The Most Shocking and Dreadful Violence (Critique My System For Tracking Wounds)

Hey folks, I'm plugging along at my Victorian Dark Fantasy game Discordance and have come to the point where I'm working on a system for the sort of gruesome, consequential, and lethal violence you see in media like Peaky Blinders, Penny Dreadful, and the scenes of the war present in Johnathan...
  4. johnthedm7000

The Four Magics of Discordance (Looking For Your Thoughts and Critiques)

I've been working on a Victorian Dark/Weird Fantasy game for a while now, and it's just now coming into focus. What follows are the four different types of magic used in the setting, any of which might be available to player characters based on the occupation they choose during character...
  5. johnthedm7000

(Creative) Daily Life In This Setting (Professions, Vignettes, Rumors, Technology)

I'm working on a tabletop game currently best described as the unholy love child of Johnathan Strange and Mr. Norrell, Fallen London, and Planescape Torment. A magical industrial revolution has gripped the land, powered by magic reversed-engineered from a peace treaty between the forces of...
  6. johnthedm7000

Dark-Fantasy Resolution Mechanic (Let Me Know What You Think)

Hey folks, it's been a while. After sort-of getting my personal life back into order I've decided to throw my head against the brick wall of RPG design once again and am looking for thoughts and feedback regarding the beginning of a resolution system. The system below is specifically for a...
  7. johnthedm7000

Please Critique My Game's Dungeon Generator (Delvers)

So folks, I'm back after a long commission-induced hiatus to show off the cavern/dungeon generation system for my "19th Century Elysium meets Dark Sun by way of The Descent" game Delvers. The basic premise of the game is that player characters are members of a caste of untouchables whose only...
  8. johnthedm7000

Delvers (A Post-Apocalyptic Roleplaying Game) Please Critique Character Creation/Basic Resolution

Hello all, After (another) long hiatus I've returned to you fine folks at RPGnet to look over the bare bones of my most recent project, a post-apocalyptic fantasy game by the title of Delvers. Conceptually it occupies a similar space as Torchbearer (in that it's a game about desperate treasure...
  9. johnthedm7000

Looking For Feedback on a Rules Expansion (Fear The Living)

Hello folks. After a long hiatus due to a dissolved marriage, a financial crisis or two, and the odd mental breakdown I'm finally back on the site looking for feedback regarding the rough draft of the long-delayed supplemental content I promised my backers for Fear The Living. This supplement...
  10. johnthedm7000

Against The Night: Character/Family Creation and Resolution (Please Critique)

As the subject of the thread implies, I'm looking for folks willing to run through character creation for Against The Night and to offer their thoughts on: Whether the premise of the game (normal villagers struggling to balance vigilance against the supernatural threats plaguing their village...
  11. johnthedm7000

Edge of Hell (Running Man Meets Dante's Inferno)

So in an attempt to clear my head and figure out exactly what design work I want to focus on exclusively I have (strangely) created another game that I'm hoping to get some feedback on. It's called EDGE! OF! HELL! (meant to be shouted like the opening line of a cheesy gameshow) and it's focused...
  12. johnthedm7000

The Dark Roads (Minimum Viable Product Edition)

So after beating my head against the wall with The Dark Road's character creation and basic resolution mechanics over and over and over again, and watching this Extra Credits Video on Minimum Viable Product (also again and again) I've mocked up the absolute core of the Dark Roads for your...
  13. johnthedm7000

(Blood and Parchment: Revised) Trying This Entire Playtest Thing Again

So the last playtest for Blood and Parchment, my Overlordesque game of...sorcerous Overlords fell apart due to scheduling issues and a player dropping out due to (understandable) personal issues. Having taken into account the feedback I received from the first playtest and the experience that I...
  14. johnthedm7000

(Idle Musings) Broken: A Post Apocalyptic RPG

So whilst brainstorming on Blood and Parchment today and playing Fallout New Vegas, I was struck by just how different the normal and hardcore modes of that game are. On one hand you have a FPS/RPG hybrid that rewards shooting shit in the head as hard as possible and rewards exploration. On the...
  15. johnthedm7000

Blood and Parchment Playtest: Gird Your Loins

Usher forth your legions. Crack open that tome of eldritch lore. Clean the razor wire in your pit of death. Blood and Parchment is ready to playtest! For anyone who's interested in playtesting a game of S&S sorcerous overlords, the corruption that power brings, and crazy minion antics I'm...
  16. johnthedm7000

So I've Got A Cover and Am Looking For Feedback (Fear The Living)

It's been a while since I've posted anything related to Fear The Living in these forums, mostly because the Kickstarter has come and gone and I'm feverishly busy trying to make sure that the art and such go off without a hitch. As part of that, I'd like to submit for your critique/analysis the...
  17. johnthedm7000

Blood and Parchment: Secrets

So I'm in the midst of developing my game of Thulsa-Doom/Saruman style sorcerous overlords and have hit upon a problem: as it stands, there are many reasons why the player characters sorcerers might fight one another (dueling for influence in the hinterlands, control over territory, to get at...
  18. johnthedm7000

Blood And Parchment: Create A Sorcerer!

So as you all probably know I've come up with yet another side project. It's called Blood and Parchment, a game wherein you portray a would-be sorcererous overlord scheming amongst your rivals for control of the Hinterlands where you have just recently awoken from slumber. With a bevy of...
  19. johnthedm7000

(Skype) GM Seeks 2-3 players for Grim Pokefate game!

Hello again RPGnet, After watching Pokemon Origins, I've got a hankering to run a dark, gritty game set in the Pokemon universe. Players would take on the role of members of Kanto's beleaguered and underpaid police force dealing with dangerous wild Pokemon, out-of-control trainer battles...
  20. johnthedm7000

Looking To Get Some Initial Thoughts On These Mechanics (Blood and Parchment)

Acknowledgement: This mechanic and the system that oozed out of my consciousness around it owes its genesis to the kick ass Blood and Bone mechanic suggested by CaptainCrowbar on these very forums. I sincerely hope that this modification/implementation of it lands firmly in the area of...
Top Bottom