• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

Search results

1. Zaleramancer

Running Masks for the first time

I have some general advice and also some stuff specifically about how Masks treats superpowers. In general: Moves should come up when there's an interest in their success or failure, or when it's tense. Look at your Agendas, Principles and Moves when deciding on what to do- Agendas and...
  2. Zaleramancer

What is the least playable RPG?

I've had a chance to play Wisher, Theurgist, Fatalist twice. It's a rather strange, obtuse game that is 80% self-parody and 20% game design insights. The rule-set is filled with things that make very little sense, but the setting has the characteristic fantastic whim. There are some parts of the...
  3. Zaleramancer

Jenna Moran's upcoming new game, Glitch

Ah, I’m very excited! I hope I can run a game as soon as it hits sale. A story of not!
  4. Zaleramancer

🎨 Creative Explain a Rpg Plot/Setting Badly

You are going to solve all of your problems with toast. Someone will be turned into toast, and if you’re lucky you’ll be one making the awful toast puns.You’re probably going to save the world by hitting someone who wants to destroy it with a toaster oven, if they don’t get you to go out on a...
  5. Zaleramancer

Damnation and other cool western town names

Near Missoula, Montana there used to be a town called Hellgate.
  6. Zaleramancer

Tell me about your favorite wizards

So I love wizards and magic users in games. I play them whenever I have a chance. I’ve recently been enjoying playing some pbta games that make for some really fun wizard content- my fellowship harbinger has a cool bat/shapeshifting motif and uses a lantern to cast magical shadows. Please...
  7. Zaleramancer

J K R O W L I N G, oh no, you did not just... :o

The pottermore related stuff is secondary in my discontent with her. I’m personally done with JK because at this point she needs to either put up or shut up with regards to gay characters. I refuse to believe she couldn’t write a book with one, or demand that they include one in those films...
  8. Zaleramancer

[setting riff] The Four Children of Eden

I certainly think that having orcs/beastmen not eat of either tree is certainly different. Like Sabermane pointed out, It implies they have the greatest claim to holiness by way of never breaking their commandments. Perhaps they willingly left the garden to help their wayward siblings, only to...
  9. Zaleramancer

LGBTQ+ rpg podcast

I would love to get a chance to listen to more LGBTQ+ voices and perspectives in RPG stuff and play. I know a lot of friends who are getting into the hobby now and it's very heartening. I'd definitely listen to a podcast that started with this focus.
  10. Zaleramancer

The Bigotry Inherent in the System

I think one of the issues with the differences between various player race/species in fantasy games is that they are very similar to humans, and form monocultures. This encourages people to, consciously or subconsciously, try to *fit* them to groups you know. It's also a lot easier to, say...
  11. Zaleramancer

"Decolonizing D&D"

I mean, it might take a lot of work to change how D&D focuses on things. That's true. It may be easier to just create an entirely new game, but starting from incentives isn't a bad idea. Though, to be honest, you are correct in some of the adjudicating. From a certain perspective, you could...
  12. Zaleramancer

Are there any RPGs that reward low attributes?

In addition to the "XP on miss" from a lot of PBtA games, there's also the fact that poor rolls or misses can sometimes be interesting or desirable. I've had moments in Masks games where I really wanted to get a poor roll purely for the drama of doing so. So long as failures are not...
  13. Zaleramancer

"Decolonizing D&D"

Instead of very general milestones, you could introduce new specific actions that provide experience. Imagine playing in an iteration of D&D in which you gain experience from: Presenting a creative or interesting solution to a problem you face. Going somewhere new and enjoying the beauty of...
  14. Zaleramancer

The importance of knowledge skills

Hello! I'd like to ask you: What do you want your knowledge skills to do, and why are they there? It's a very important question to ask since that shapes how you proceed with them: Different games will have radically different approaches depending on their design philosophy. For example, I...
  15. Zaleramancer

Game or system best suited for epic boss fights

Well, Rhapsody of Blood has a few different "sets" of moves that are active at different times. For the purposes of this discussion, the relevant ones are the "Exploration Moves" and the "Confrontation Moves". When the group is moving through the twisting confines of the castle, full of...
  16. Zaleramancer

Game or system best suited for epic boss fights

If you're interested in trying out a PbtA game, you might wanna look at Rhapsody of Blood. It's a game about playing what amounts to Castlevania or Dark Souls aesthetically, about generations of heroes fighting their way up a magic reappearing castle to punch dracula. It has special moves and...
  17. Zaleramancer

Fusion school of design - why no difficulty?

Hi! So the PbtA game I've played the most is Masks- the game about teen superheroes. As such, the differences between different characters' powers and abilities and how difficult they find things is something that most games about superheroes care a lot about. It's come up in our games a few...
  18. Zaleramancer

[Meta] Games You'd Really Like to Play V: The Thread Strikes Back.

I sadly missed the currently in motion Nobilis game, and I was wondering if anyone would be willing to run one on pbp or the like?
  19. Zaleramancer

Linking PCs Together

Almost every Pbta I’ve played has included some form of starting relationship or connection portion of character creation. This is usually framed by a series of questions to answer, or a series of statements with blanks to fill in. For example, the Dwarf playbook from fellowship has: I owe...
  20. Zaleramancer

White Wolf to no longer develop books internally, Camarilla Book to be edited.

Hmm, I recall differently. Let me quote: So, it does mention neo-Nazis and pro bono lawyers in the same breath, which is kind of jarring and why I remembered it. I don’t see what’s out of context about bringing it up. It’s saying that this is a potential character archetype for the Brujah...
Top Bottom