• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

Search results

1. taschoene

"No one can be told what the Matrix is" - "complicated" media that isn't

The sequel novel Splinter of a Mind's Eye was written not long after the movie, and has some pretty blatant Luke-Leia romance plot happening (also, no Solo or Millennium Falcon because Harrison Ford hadn't signed a multi-picture deal). It gives a look at what Star Wars might hae been if the...
  2. taschoene

SDCC The Magicians Season Five Sneak peak!

At first glance I thought it was Ben Franklin. Who was also kind of a pig... (And in the crazy theory department, did it kinda look like Jason Ralph under the makeup?)
  3. taschoene

SDCC The Magicians Season Five Sneak peak!

Literally.
  4. taschoene

Krypton season two

Thanks I'll have to give it a look. I think DC Universe has Season 1 streaming.
  5. taschoene

Krypton season two

I checked out partway through Season One, but it sounds like it got better?
  6. taschoene

[novels] ISTOMKO: fantasy fiction settings that are thinly-disguised RL regions other than Europe

Joel Rosenberg's D'Shai and Hour of the Octopus are set in something like a fantasy China/Japan mashup. It's not an exact match to the OP's request since it takes Japan, China and maybe a bit of India and throws it all into a blender, rather than just filing off the serial numbers, but they are...
  7. taschoene

Cats Movie first trailer

Yeah, that's quite a typo... Oops.
  8. taschoene

Cats Movie first trailer

Late 2021.
  9. taschoene

Cats Movie first trailer

1776 worked. Hamilton wouldn't be any harder, honestly.
  10. taschoene

DCCW Casting Rumors/News 2019-2020 (Potential Spoilers)

I think one of the comments on Deadline probably nails it -- they're not playing Superman (Supermen?) at different times, but from different universes. I mean, it is Crisis on Infinite Earths, after all. But having Routh playing both Superman and Ray Palmer is going to be entertaining.
  11. taschoene

Cats Movie first trailer

Is Cats supposed to take place in a post-apocalyptic urban wasteland? Because that's the vibe I'm getting here.
  12. taschoene

Starship Troopers: Interpretation and Analysis

There is an interesting discussion about how the treaty that ended the last war and apparently led straight into the global social collapse basically ignored the idea of repatriating prisoners of war on either side. So you had large numbers of ex-soldiers lost in enemy territory and the only...
  13. taschoene

Young Justice Outsiders

Probably. But it's probably the only decision a team leader mentored by Batman and Nightwing is going to make. Operational security trumps honesty.
  14. taschoene

[Star Trek] Further Picard Details

Well, Frakes is definitely going to be available. https://screenrant.com/star-trek-picard-series-jonathan-frakes-director/
  15. taschoene

John Steakly's Armor is another one inspired by, with a focus on the psychological impacts of war rather than the political theory.
  16. taschoene

That's not clear from the text. Carl apparently plans to do his service, then go to university. But obviously, you can do your service whenever you want. Rico's dad joins at age 42 or thereabouts and there's a fellow in Rico's class who is an "nice old geezer" at 35. * Johnny Rich --...
  17. taschoene

The reverse, in fact. Police is mentioned as a reserved profession -- you can only do it if you have served.
  18. taschoene

PS: In looking for a source that describes the actual textual differences between "Starship Soldier" and Starship Troopers (no luck on that front, BTW), I cam across a really interesting page with a collection of letters about the story from various well-known authors and fans/critics that were...
  19. taschoene

I don't think so. However, the novel was initially published in abridged form as "Starship Soldier" in Fantasy & Science Fiction. I suspect the abridgment might have left out a lot of the discussions about Federal Service. There is an impression among some reviewers that the F&SF novella...
  20. taschoene

The book has a "special talent" (aka a"spatial sensor") who appears to have some form of clairvoyance that he uses to draw maps to the arachnid tunnel system on Planet P. That's the only psychic power mentioned, as far as I remember. Edit: corrected the details after rereading the relevant text.
Top Bottom