• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

Search results

1. John

[General RPG]Are there games you like as a player, and not to run as GM, and vice versa?

Will play, but will not run Pathfinder, Champions, and very crunchy things. Will run but will not play OSR things (though it has been some time for either). Will equally play/run Fate.
  2. John

Your best single advice for a first-time GM

Schleiermacher's advice is perfection. To this brilliance... ...I would add, don't plan a story. Plan villains with explicit motives, with evil schemes in - or about to be in - motion, and with crystal clear imperatives for the involvement of the PCs. Then, as Artikid said: The PCs' actions...
  3. John

Turning an idea into an adventure

Oh. I see. Have you tried prioritizing material by locations? Start with general details about an interesting, critical place, then add to your notes things like "If here at noon, then..." "If here after the something-event happens, then..." "If here without the something-important, then..."
  4. John

Turning an idea into an adventure

Also worth noting is the intrinsic or extrinsic motivation of the PCs/players to value aiding those in need vs. saving their own skin. Relationship entanglements are often a critical part of an adventure experience. The pregnant woman might be PC1's wife. The asthmatic child might be the boy PC2...
  5. John

The best aliens in RPGs

From the Mindjammer adventure "The City People" - The Formionts. They are at the heart of the adventure's mystery, so peek only if you won't ever play this:
  6. John

What happened to the new edition of Gangbusters?

Congrats! Does your trademark preclude WotC from producing PDFs of the original Gangbusters boxed set materials (like they've done with Boot Hill and Star Frontiers on DriveThru)?
  7. John

I just picked up Untold - Adventures Await -

Well, that seems about right. :) First sessions always blossom with many possibilities, especially when the action is set in a familiar world, but the plot lines won't meander as you play subsequent games. Whether in solo or group play, arcs will come together as they are channeled through the...
  8. John

Best rules for chases

Totally agree. I ran several games where a chase was conducted using the contest rules. I remember one of the players - a die-hard crunchy d20 fan - saying, "This is way more fun than it should be" and laughing excitedly through a contest chase scene. Very effective! There were more chase-y...
  9. John

Superhero/villain names

Got it. Nice supers backdrop. And "pulp" and "modern" naming conventions aren't so at odds. So true. Actually, I think the names sound fine, too. But I suspect you're looking for more distinctive monikers to fit the setting. So, here's a pass to help shake out the cobwebs: Justice > Paragon...
  10. John

If it happens, I totally want to hear about it!!!
  11. John

Superhero/villain names

You've got a "kitchen sink" homebrew going, but what's the tone? For my old humorous 1960's-set homage Angel Coast Action Squad game using Supers!, everybody got booze-inspired names: Brandy Smash - my super strong female PI Red Lotus Green Vesper - criminal super genius and Brandy's nemesis...
  12. John

Looking for good TTRPG to play with kids

Hero Kids has been very well received. It is, however, a very D&D-like experience (which you might not be leaning toward), but easier in implementation. I've played and loved playing Fate Accelerated (not Core) with kids from 10-16 year olds with great success - and, sometimes, no violence(!)...
  13. John

[Fate/Tianxia] Help with two character issues

One of my old favorites! If you only succeeded on the Chi Armor roll and you already used up the free invocation, in a subsequent round you would only be able to "use Fate Points to invoke Chi Armor once these invocations are gone..." (page 60), so Exalted Ghost Body can't help. If you had...
  14. John

Need Soundtrack Suggestions For RPG's

Search the works of these amazing folks: Two Steps from Hell (music: epic, horror, Western, dark, pirate-y, Celtic...generally amazing) Audiomachine Tybercore Zack Hemsey Jo Blankenburg
  15. John

Need Advice, Running Romance Game

That is the most important role-playing game challenge, even in games without any romance at all. Assuming you are past the "know your players" part of the planning, the next two questions (for me) would have little to do with story itself. Rather, they would be about the elements that are...
  16. John

Wow. I'm totally honored, especially with the integration of game elements from your brilliant Beautiful Anomalies. And "Wushu monsterpunk"? Where's a heart-sighing-in-a-mix-of-admiration-and-envy emoji when you need one... Hooray! Get crazy with those MIX sets! Early on, we promoted a list of...
  17. John

WARNING: Beta, playtest, and PNP docs are missing several critical rules and multiple components. Most notably, they never mention the absolutely necessary plot continuity rules for moving Story Cubes into new scenes via color-coded borders to keep the adventure cohesive.
  18. John

Fate as 1st RPG?

Exactly perfectly this (as others have noted). I observed it many times. If you can clearly explain aspects, creating advantages, and invoking/compelling, first timers will love it!
  19. John

❤ THANK YOU! One of our most important but secret design goals was precisely that - to make Untold provide surprising RPG experiences for a solo player using their favorite system - while producing with deep sincerity a newbie and family friendly no-prep, no-math, customizable, jump-right-in RPG...
  20. John

Not that I know of at this time. Asmodee North America now owns Story Cubes. Rory still consults. They are currently focused on expanding the line via licensing. For example, coming out very soon will be the Star Wars Story World 9-Cube set. It'll be Rebellion Era icons (last I saw), and I'll...
Top Bottom