• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

Search results

1. D

Tales from the loop - I want this but...

It may be on a slight upswing from its lowest point, but I think violent crime in general is still down compared to the kids-on-bikes decades. Definitely true that (in the U.S.) “kill a bunch of people in a public place” has become a much more common way to express anger at the world than it...
  2. D

Let's Read: Advanced Dungeons & Dragons Monster Manual II (1e)

IIRC, vestiges sometimes have the same names as other independent extraplanar beings. Some might be pieces of those beings — Orcus’ “secret identity” of Thanatos, which he later abandoned, is still out there as a vestige, and there’s probably a Greek personification of death who’s still pissed...
  3. D

Wonder Woman: Bloodlines. New animated movie

Heck, do the JSA that has (Golden Age) Supes, Bats, and Wondy in it, if that’s not too confusing. The Roy Thomas revival story of their origins (fighting Valkyries to save FDR and turning back Operation Sealion) is pretty sweet and epic, at least if my childhood memories are vaguely accurate.
  4. D

How powerful should Superman (and his expys) be relative to other heroes?

Even in the comic that treated Superman largely as a dupe of The Man (TDKR proper), Miller gave us “Twenty million die by fire if I am weak.” He still gets Superman on some level.
  5. D

I presume they were using the “martial arts are just cooler” dodge of “uses the opponent’s strength against them and strikes at vital points to overcome a pure strength and toughness advantage” — but yeah, that takes it pretty darn far, especially when speed is taken into account. Then again...
  6. D

Yeah, people have brought up Diana and Billy, but what about J’onn? Martians have the Kryptonian/Daxamite powerset plus two other major powersets (telepathy and shapeshifting). He does have a ridiculously common weakness by comparison, but still....
  7. D

[Netflix] Stranger Things 3 Episodes 7-8 and General Spoiler Thread for Full Series

Heck, even Hopper, who knows without question that the weird stuff is real (and adopted the cutest manifestation of it), is like, “Joyce, maybe you magnets are just having magnet problems. You’re sounding a little crazy again. Remember that time you were crazy?” (even though she wasn’t crazy...
  8. D

[Spoilers] Avengers: Endgame Little Details You Loved

Heck, at one point, Cosmic Boy of the LSH had all the purple-pink parts of his costume replaced by bare flesh. It did not look beefcake. It was as uncomfortable as those “Hawkeye in traditional female poses” drawings, only it was in the actual comic.
  9. D

For one thing, it’s literally Titan, the moon of Saturn. And at least once they were retconned into being a branch of the Eternals, they were originally from Earth. And (except for their very first appearance in an Iron Man panel), only Thanos is purple with a Skrull chin. Despite being an...
  10. D

Belated Realisations part 2: I Can't Believe It Took Me A Second Thread!

As far as I know, only “The Child” and one other episode I can’t remember were actual Phase II scripts. Reworking character ideas from Phase II was already a thing in TNG, of course, with “young XO and his empathic alien ex” moving from Decker/Ilia to Riker/Troi, and “reverse Spock who actually...
  11. D

Belated Realisations part 2: I Can't Believe It Took Me A Second Thread!

He also helped give D&D the derro (spelled with one R in the source material) and create a tapestry of hidden history and conspiracy theory by publishing (and greatly embellishing/adding to) the material sent to him by an actually delusional schizophrenic man, one Richard Shaver.
  12. D

Hmm, but the most obvious sign of an eldritch spellcaster going into fighting stance are the finger positions and consequent glowy orange sigils. So even the Masters do tend to use their hands a lot. (I remember the actors talking about being trained in “finger tutting” for the Doctor Strange...
  13. D

[MCU] Spider-man: Far from home (I has seen it) (Spoilers)

Yeah, I don’t think we know Ned’s last name, either, but they still paired him up with Betty Brant (briefly) like Ned Leeds. Our MJ doesn’t have the same name at all, though I suppose she could have an Aunt Anna who pals around with May. She’s still filling the MJ slot. Liz might have been...
  14. D

[LTTP] Steven Universe

We know from previous episodes (notably “Greg the Babysitter”) that Rose has always been enamored of the intrinsic human ability to grow and change. I would think that in creating/becoming Steven she was embracing that ability, so difficult for Gems. Sure, she had changed in a lot of ways, even...
  15. D

[LTTP] Steven Universe

It’s interesting how Rose was such a “mom” figure, even long before she became an actual mom, even though her underlying personality was that of a reckless and sometimes petulant child. Jasper might not have been far off when she accused Steven/“Rose” of attracting followers by appealing to them...
  16. D

[LTTP] Steven Universe

Or she honestly believed that her condescending older sisters didn’t really care if she lived or died. Which was profoundly mistaken and would have repercussions for millennia, but which does kind of fit her childish personality at the time. (“They never listen to me, they don’t take me...
  17. D

Let's Read: Advanced Dungeons & Dragons Monster Manual II (1e)

In OD&D, a gnoll is what you get when you cross a gnome and a troll (!) The name may also be taken from a Lord Dunsany story about “gnoles.” Hyena-folk are more scary and less goofy than that sounds, so I can see why that caught on.
  18. D

[LTTP] Steven Universe

This is the point where the “Rose was EBIL!1!” theories really picked up steam. She Palpatined both sides of a war where she could only hold one side to non-lethality (all those shattered Crystal Gems, in the Cluster and elsewhere!). She was the glamorous rebel and the pampered ruler (ultimate...
  19. D

[LTTP] Steven Universe

Oh yeah! There’s a reason she couldn’t believe Rose would keep a secret from her, and it wasn’t just pettiness. She was the holder of THE secret! How could there be anything more secret than that?!? Also gives a new tenor to “Sworn to the Sword” and all those times Pearl let herself get poofed...
  20. D

[MCU] Spider-man: Far from home (I has seen it) (Spoilers)

To what is that referring?
Top Bottom