• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

Search results

1. Pteryx

[5e] Do the CR rules actually work?

So I'm nearly done with my read of the 5e DMG, and have reached the admittedly very tunnel-visioned rules for calculating CRs for monsters. I try putting a kobold straight out of the Monster Manual through its calculations, and... it doesn't seem to work. If I'm understanding this right, they...
  2. Pteryx

[5e] Is there a Communication domain?

For various reasons, I've bought and been studying up on 5th Edition lately. There's a mostly good range of WotC character options out there right now, both finalized and not. However, there is one cleric domain I feel is missing... and this bugs me because lack of domains doesn't just limit...
  3. Pteryx

[5e] "Missing" skills and other know-it-all character concerns

So I'm someone experienced with 3.5 in the process of learning 5th Edition, thanks to Eberron's preview having gone up for sale and all. Two things concern me as I read chapter 7. First, a lot of things that were Knowledge skills back in the day, along with things that roughly correspond to...
  4. Pteryx

Systems where exceptional people aren't necessarily combatants, supernatural, and/or PCs/nemeses

One thing that has occurred to me in considering how the views of myself and a close friend differ from the views of some people in the industry. When it comes to pondering PC classes in 3.5 and PF when compared to NPC classes, we think in terms of exceptional vs. ordinary person, while Paizo...
  5. Pteryx

Games of fantastic civil rights movements?

There are plenty of games involving violent conflict between different factions, species, or subspecies, probably to the point of market saturation. There are also lots of settings where fantastical people hide from mundane people to avoid conflict, and mainly struggle with secret issues...
  6. Pteryx

Good crunchy handling of computers?

In my trying to figure out the right crunchy system for dealing with a robot-heavy setting I'm thinking up, one thing that really sticks out is that even the handling of computers and interaction therewith tends to be dissatisfying to me. I often feel like I'm staring at an 80s or early 90s...
  7. Pteryx

Games that cost things by DIFFERENT priorities?

Something that's been driving me bonkers in attempting to find the right system for a setting concept I have: Every game system I run into that gives stats to armor, as opposed to blithely handwaving that maybe you can convince your GM that being Made Of Metal means this or that today if you...
  8. Pteryx

[necro][GURPS] Community: help or hindrance?

I have a setting concept in progress, and at the moment, GURPS looks like the closest thing in existence to what I want out of a system for it (even though it boils down to shooting at the target and missing versus everything else not even shooting in the target's general direction). However...
  9. Pteryx

Multiple "core mechanics?"

For a long time, it's seemed like the generally-unquestioned ideal in tabletop RPGs has been to have a single core mechanic -- one basic way of resolving everything that's usually modified from there. I can understand how this came to be: earlier versions of D&D had multiple resolution...
  10. Pteryx

What effects-based RPGs are out there nowadays?

I feel like I don't have a good sense of what games with effects-based power systems are out there -- systems where you buy up powers, the system by default assumes very little about them, and you can modify them into something more specific. Things like GURPS 4e and JAGS Archetypes don't count...
  11. Pteryx

It's my birthday! I want eccentric witnesses and suspects!

My birthday request is for characters who, thematically speaking, would be at home in an Ace Attorney-like murder mystery case, no matter the setting genre they hail from. Over-the-top, absurd, exasperating, and unfortunately for the investigators relevant in some way to the case. -- Pteryx
  12. Pteryx

Burden of RPG responsibility distribution?

While I know this isn't actually something quantifiable, I feel numbers may serve as a good starting point for discussion as people explain what different amounts mean to them. What do you feel is the ideal amount of responsibility for a game's direction, effort, and content for players versus...
  13. Pteryx

Fate-like Skill/Action Split?

I've been trying to really grasp Fate this year -- rereading the SRD, reading blogs, and all that. One thing that struck me during this effort came in discussions of the possibility of implementing a Discover action, which I'd been reading because I'd really like to run an...
  14. Pteryx

Your favorite systems for playing sapient robots/androids?

In trying to research sci-fi systems, in addition to the "practically everything is space opera, transhumanism, or cyberpunk" problem, I've noticed a trend wherein the rules for sapient robots tend to strike me as dissatisfying. If they're incorporated into the setting at all and not simply...
  15. Pteryx

System recommendations for a very specific concept?

I've had a setting concept growing, but I have no idea what system would be well-suited for such a thing. Basically, it's nonviolent-by-default earthbound social science fiction in which the PCs play members of the justice system (I'm open to negotiation as to exactly which part, but there will...
  16. Pteryx

[3.x/PF] Looking for low-level spells with law/chaos and divination themes

For the sake of a particular one-on-one game, I'd like suggestions concerning third-party sources of low-level spells that either: 1) Are lawful, chaotic, or emphasize the law/chaos axis in some way, without simply being part of a set that also includes good/evil versions. 2) Are interesting...
  17. Pteryx

[Suggest a Setting] What OTHER kinds of settings for gods are out there?

Inspired by this thread. While there are a number of interesting game mechanics out there, what tends to bug me about the various god games is that the settings don't quite do it for me. They involve being second fiddle to other beings (sometimes even humans!), or a war for the fate of...
  18. Pteryx

[Exalted+] Tidal Turnabouts: Attorneys of Wavecrest

Call me completely insane, but the idea of an Exalted/Ace Attorney campaign is really running away with me lately. I just don't have the level of Exalted setting-fu and system-fu to do all of the necessary brainstorming on my own. I have at least settled on Halcyon island in Wavecrest as the...
  19. Pteryx

[ISTFD20KO] How to design a fun dungeon

Yeah, I need general advice about one of the outright basic skills of D&D -- how to design a fun dungeon. I can do urban games decently, but for some reason my dungeons just seem to come out bland, and I'm not sure where to even begin in fixing that. I've roughly figured out where the...
  20. Pteryx

[GURPS] Point total for Disgaea?

So now GURPS is being seriously considered for a Disgaea campaign. One of the first questions to answer, of course, is the starting point total. Working on the assumption that there won't be massive level grinding to get to the power level that's usually assumed for story purposes (hey, some...
Top Bottom