• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

Search results

1. manwhat

Your best single advice for a first-time GM

I feel like this applies to system designers too. If your system (in its area of design - I don't think too man people are going to care if your scifi combat simulator doesn't accurately model the economics of cake-baking) creates unintended results, modify the system so that you can no longer...
  2. manwhat

Your best single advice for a first-time GM

Your story is about what your players find interesting about the situation you planned, not the story you have planned. I still feel my worst GMing mistake is in a Fate-as-DnD game where my players really made some great aspects to tie them to the setting and which naturally would have created...
  3. manwhat

Not Here to Play Games: Struggling with Enjoying the "Game" Part of TTRPGs

On reddit, /r/rpg has a list of Discords, one of which is just a popular 'general' one. I know that RPGnet has an IRC channel, but I'm sure someone could step up to create an 'unofficial official Discord server' if there isn't one already.
  4. manwhat

How to sell players on non-D&D 5e fantasy RPGs

Other way around. It's the non-casters who lag behind, much like 3e. 5e duplicates many of 3e's failings, so many 'anti-3e' arguments have some hold.
  5. manwhat

I think sometimes you do, but it really does need to be sufficiently different and you need a key selling point. There's people out there who don't really know what the scope of other games out there can be like. To sell people on joining a game of Reign, for example, I focused on the 'realm...
  6. manwhat

[Mage: the Awakening 2e] Melbourne, Most Livable City

Long ago I read that the writer of the manga Bleach introduced a new problem-solving NPC whenever he wrote himself into a corner. My GM style appears to be introducing new NPCs whenever the players get too comfortable. I think I'm not too bad yet, although most of the Consilium is still...
  7. manwhat

Not Here to Play Games: Struggling with Enjoying the "Game" Part of TTRPGs

Just searching through roll20? Low. Joining an RPG-related IRC channel or discord and advertising there? You'll fill up very quickly.
  8. manwhat

[Mage: the Awakening 2e] Melbourne, Most Livable City

Sadly, Tal couldn’t make it to this session, which is why Circe is mostly in the background doing useful things. That’s OK, because it’s a short session, consisting mostly of me dropping plot grenades in the hands of the players. Thanks for the kind words from readers! While everything in these...
  9. manwhat

Xbox-like wireless gamepad with symmetrical sticks (that will work on Steam Link)?

I'd just use PS4 controllers. They work painlessly, the Steam Link automatically translates the buttons prompts, and yeah, you can get stickers if you really need the button prompts to patch. Sure, pairing it with a Steam Link will de-pair it with a PS4... but then you can re-pair it with the...
  10. manwhat

"Let's give Game X a shot as a change of pace, it would be weird to play only one thing. Like, if you like video games, you wouldn't play only Mario" seems to work pretty well for me.
  11. manwhat

Cyberpunk, shadowrun... How do you deal with current tech being better than future-tech?

TV Show Mr Robot managed to get a few seasons out of it, with a relatively realistic depiction of hacking. That includes the 'leave USBs lying around' trick.
  12. manwhat

Cyberpunk, shadowrun... How do you deal with current tech being better than future-tech?

I figure "WiFi is everywhere; but corporate security has gotten to the point where they've realised you shouldn't put important systems on it" to be a good enough explanation.
  13. manwhat

Fire Emblem: General Discussion

Lysithea is perfect just the way she is, and who doesn't want double casts of both Dark Spikes T and Warp?
  14. manwhat

Apocalypse World: The Maelstrom

In the first game of AW I ever played, the type of apocalypse we chose was 'zombies + rising water levels', and so the psychic maelstrom was equated to the 'zombie hivemind'. Careful not to open yourself up to it too much, or you might end up a zombie yourself unless someone manages to snap you...
  15. manwhat

The XKCD Unpopular Positive Opinion Challenge

Detention (2012) is a very weird movie that's basically every stereotypical high school plot mashed into one... which includes Donnie Darko and Freaky Friday. Sitting at 41% critic store and 46% user. The Neon Demon is a few percent above the 50% cutoff in both respects. but is pretty close. The...
  16. manwhat

Gregor Hutton's 3:16

I think the one thing that could be made clear in the rules if you're new to this kind of game is that a session shouldn't be just a generic battle-to-battle procedure. You still need to have an actual fictional layer where you do things like set up a temporary base, scout for the nest, etc -...
  17. manwhat

[3e] The Peasant Railgun is a terrible example of 3e design

Getting the 50 pounds of cheese is probably the more costly endeavour. I'll assume the tomatoes are native to the region. Stuff like this really should just be a single line in the DMG. "You can give treasure in the form of rare goods, such as '10gp worth of salt' or 'a rare painting worth...
  18. manwhat

Fire Emblem: General Discussion

Fishing doesn't take up any time. Lures are in short supply early game, but later you'll unlock a merchant that lets you buy plenty, and it'll be on a 'non special fishing' day to teach you "hey use some, but maybe save the rest up". They're also pretty cheap. So, you might as well go all out...
  19. manwhat

One space marine per planet?

I think specifically OP is looking for this old quote.
  20. manwhat

The use of footnotes in rules

I think I would rather have a sidebar than a footnote, unless you have a very particular style that you're going for. Where they'd most find value is in the reasoning of a certain rule. If it's for clarification, then you should be rewriting in the first place so that clarification is unnecessary.
Top Bottom