• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

Search results

1. Arethusa

2019 Hugo Awards

Have you seen Jeanette Ng’s acceptance speech for the Campbell Award? Wow!
  2. Arethusa

RIP Barry Hughart, author of funniest damn Chinese historical fantasy ever

https://locusmag.com/2019/08/barry-hughart-1924-2019/ If you have not read the Chronicles of Master Li and Number Ten Ox you owe it to yourself to do so. They are wickedly funny fantasy adventure stories set in ancient China with ridiculous numbers of references to classical Chinese literature...
  3. Arethusa

RIP Richard Williams, “Roger Rabbit” animator and industry legend

https://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-49382175 A lot of people got into the industry because of him. He’s left quite a legacy.
  4. Arethusa

What about the Lankhmar books by Fritz Leiber?

For a moment I was wondering why I’ve never read the Fafhrd and the Grey Mouser stories despite their influence and many friends who like them, and then the Retro-Hugo ballot reminded me that Leiber wrote Conjure Wife.
  5. Arethusa

Tell me about your favorite tarot deck

And since I should probably answer the question of the thread, my favorite Tarot is (are) the original Visconzi-Sforza decks from the fifteenth century. They're magnificent little works of art showing the beginnings of the game and its solid grounding in Italian Renaissance Christian culture...
  6. Arethusa

Also it was Waite who changed what the Tarot was, removing or renaming its classic historic Christian symbolism and tacking on a lot of then-fashionable mysticism.
  7. Arethusa

Rider was the company that published that Tarot deck. Arthur Edward Waite wrote up what should be on the cards. Later (much later), people thought it might be worth giving a little credit to Pamela Colman Smith, the actual artist who designed and drew them.
  8. Arethusa

[Comics] R.I.P. Ernie Colon

He was one of the great comic artists of the twentieth century. I remember as a kid looking at his superhero work and thinking "Wait, did this guy draw 'Richie Rich'?" His work will be remembered.
  9. Arethusa

What can you do with acrylic mediums for paint?

As I understand it it gives them a watercolor-like texture and some translucency. It shouldn’t do damage to any acrylics you mix it with.
  10. Arethusa

There isn’t much difference between a medium and a thinner. Both are used to change the handling properties of paint. Airbrush thinner is sold by some companies under the name airbrush medium. In both cases it’s a special, thin medium which can be mixed with regular acrylic paints to make them...
  11. Arethusa

Disney Cancels Original Films, Orders More Reboots from Fox

I could see it as something like the way they adapted “Coraline.” Or live-action. I would soooo love to see it.
  12. Arethusa

I've lost my mojo...

It has at times. Maybe you need to take a step back, recharge your batteries, get a little perspective and find (or re-find) what brings you joy.
  13. Arethusa

Disney Cancels Original Films, Orders More Reboots from Fox

No “Lumberjanes”? Aww... ó_ò
  14. Arethusa

I'm sure you have. I have a degree in the arts and experience with safety hazards. Licking brushes is a dangerous thing to do. Not only are many pigments toxic, natural hair brushes themselves are often treated with poisons or pesticides.
  15. Arethusa

You shouldn’t be licking your brush anyway. Even regular acrylics contain formaldehyde and ammonia, more often than not,
  16. Arethusa

Today's Order of the stick 21: Who Died and Made You Boss?

Wouldn’t that be Durkon, now he’s been resurrected?
  17. Arethusa

[V:tM] Vampire intrigue and politics: things to *do* against your enemies

This sounds like a job for Stephen Potter’s Gamesmanship books. I mean yeah, they’re technically old fashioned British humor (from an old school Punch author, no less), but they are also a brilliant dissection of subtle and not so subtle ways to make psychological warfare on people. This is the...
  18. Arethusa

Wow, I didn’t even think of that. Don’t ever add mediums or additives to your actual paints in their containers. Keep them pristine and do all your mixing on your palettes. I don’t even put my paintbrushes in my paint containers. I get paint out with a clean palette knife.
Top Bottom