• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

Search results

1. Caduceus

[5E] ISTFD20SKnowledge, oh prince, Of making the *rules* feel Sword & Sorcery-y

I think the biggest trope in sword & sorcery type stuff is just how much better the main characters are than everyone else. Have everyone start at third level and take the challenges down by two levels, maybe more. That's going to go a long way towards people really feeling like Conan.
  2. Caduceus

[OSR] How vital is gold-as-xp to the OSR "feel?"

It depends on what you mean by feel. If you mean the feeling of playing D&D in 1980, it's essential. If you mean the feel of adventurers going on dangerous delves into the unknown, it means nothing.
  3. Caduceus

[Pathfinder 2e] why add levels?

I played a ton of 4e. Eventually, I just used MM3 on a postcard for most things. Tweaking monsters or doing that was still more work than having stat blocks done, though.
  4. Caduceus

[Pathfinder 2e] why add levels?

If monsters are only useful for a couple of levels, you need more monster stat blocks and therefore get to sell more books.
  5. Caduceus

Are You Buying Pathfinder 2E

For the curious: https://2e.aonprd.com/ So far, it looks unwieldy in the extreme. Check out what may be the most annoying rule of all time: Doesn't sound very spontaneous to me!
  6. Caduceus

Are You Buying Pathfinder 2E

When are they releasing an SRD?
  7. Caduceus

[5e] Combat using inches instead of a grid?

If you are willing to accept the sort of distances D&D characters stay away from each other, cubic spell areas are as good as circles/spheres. Positioning is just too chunky for it to represent the literal position of things in the environment.
  8. Caduceus

[5e] Combat using inches instead of a grid?

Hexes don't represent distance meaningfully better than squares because of the zig-zag in certain directions. They offer almost no advantages unless you just really like the more organic look.
  9. Caduceus

[OSR] Asking for player buy-in for clerics and faith?

I think trying to do some gut check about whether a character really believes in a true god or not is a bad idea. Either require specific rules and rituals for the character or trust the player to interpret what faith means to their character. Worrying about "true faith" and how far someone can...
  10. Caduceus

Any Demand for a "Complete" OD&D Clone?

There is a big problem because, unlike B/X, OD&D has quite a few missing or contradictory rules. Would one leave it that way or take that material from elsewhere?
  11. Caduceus

Pathfinder 2 Character Sheet is up

I think that is quite strange. There doesn't seem to be any precedent for it in the setting, D&D, or fantasy literature. You can also easily rationalize any two essences for any of the types of magic.
  12. Caduceus

(All Editions) Dwarves sink, right?

That isn't how you determine buoyancy! It's about the downward force versus the upward force, which in this case would be weight versus volume, not versus height!
  13. Caduceus

To me, it sounds like something that is going to recreate the sort of "Is that an attack action or an action that allows you to attack?" stuff that dogs D&D in every edition from 3.x to 5e (inclusive), if in a different form.
  14. Caduceus

So an action is both a game element that is equivalent to an activity but also comprises an activity, but only under certain conditions? I consider that a huge problem. Maybe there aren't any rules that interact with activities or actions as categories, but not calling single action game events...
  15. Caduceus

That's not the total damage. Those are the things you add up to get the total.
  16. Caduceus

There is also nowhere to list the total damage of your weapon attacks. You'd have to squeeze it in after the name of the weapon.
  17. Caduceus

I know. That's why the sheet is wrong. It lists action, two-action activity, and three-action activity. The first one should be one-action activity or the group of symbols refers to two different game concepts. If that is as intended, there is a big problem!
  18. Caduceus

What is the most "heretical" house rule you've ever instituted?

Easy: my games are strictly non-trinitarian. 😉
  19. Caduceus

Wait, do people untrained in a saving throw not add their level? Can someone be untrained in a saving throw? If that is the case, it's going to be 5e times three.
  20. Caduceus

That is insanity. Also, that single icon above "two action activity" should be called a "one action activity", right?
Top Bottom