• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

Search results

1. K

[Setting Riff] Batman as a Time Traveler

"Where does he get all those wonderful toys?" Thinking about this thread and the 1989 Batman movie, I came up with this, which might make the start of a setting riff: The man leans back in his operator's chair, there in the cave, and watches the flickering lights of the computer cluster as it...
  2. K

[Setting Riff] The Priests of the Dice

Thinking about mixing crime and heist fiction with a fantasy setting (as in The Gentleman Bastards books), I came up with the idea of a port city under Prohibition, but with gambling instead of alcohol: The most heavily attended temples in the City were the Halls of Chance, where gambling was...
  3. K

The Man Who Was Thursday on iPlayer

Occasionally, I poke through iPlayer Radio and there's always something interesting, but this is excellent: The Man Who Was Thursday: A Nightmare, read by Geoffrey Palmer. It doesn't seem to be available elsewhere. If you don't know The Man Who Was Thursday, it's the The Princess Bride of spy...
  4. K

[Setting Riff] Strange Days Meets True Detective

I've been interested in the idea of using Lovecraftian ideas without the actual Cthulhu monsters for a bit, and thought about the overlaps between cosmic horror and cyberpunk. Which mutated into this - feel free to riff, bend, spindle, fold and mutilate. HASTUR If digital personalities are...
  5. K

Humble Bundle: The Chronicles of Master Li and Number Ten Ox

On a price of $13 or above. Plus work from Tim Powers, Dan Simmons, Ted Chiang, Elizabeth Bear, Clive Barker (and others) and short story collections from Harlan Ellison, Thomas Ligotti, Caitlin R. Kiernan, and Jack Vance. Sundancer and books-to-the-sky pointed this out on another thread, but...
  6. K

Books That You'd Like To Read, But Haven't

I thought that this might be interesting - books that are on your to-read list, and have been there for a long time. For me: * The Bridge of Birds, by Barry Hughart. Gets a mention on every book recommendation thread. But I'm ebook only. * Jhereg, by Stephen Brust - it's not available on ebook...
  7. K

[Setting Riff] Michael Moorcock's Eternal Champion meets Everway

A recent thread on Stormbringer inspired me to try mashing up Eternal Champion with some other world-walker settings. ## The Pitch Michael Moorcock's Eternal Champion meets Everway and Sliders (and The Homeward Bounders, by Diana Wynne Jones). "You are blessed, or cursed. Exiled by divine...
  8. K

[LTTP] The Manual of Detection

Once I started reading this today I literally couldn't put it down. It's a bit early to say this, but I have a feeling that it will be the best thing that I'll read this year. On the other hand, I'm a sucker for noir weirdness. Like Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell, the writing style is pitch...
Top Bottom