• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

Search results

1. R

Guidelines For Basic Typography

By accident, I started a series of basic guidelines to follow for when you are about to create your own book. If you got Google Plus, you can follow the collection to get updates. https://plus.google.com/u/0/collection/IhQPX I made a crude site where all the parts in the series also will end...
  2. R

The game master as alpha and omega in game design

This was too interesting to be a side track in another thread, so I broke it out. I got some thoughts more to add, but my perspective is that considering the game master as a force that can't be changed is not good roleplaying game design. It shouldn't even be a game design solution. Design a...
  3. R

The Process of Creating a Game Process

I will copy-paste three posts from Google Plus. It's about a new way of designing roleplaying games (but an old one for any other type of games). Please let me know if you can't see the picture. How Goals are Different for the Game Designer and the Player My brother is a theater teacher and he...
  4. R

Tabletop Roleplaying Games As a Subgenre?

I wrote this on G+ a while ago: There have been popping up a lot of terms to describe some types of roleplaying games as in what they don't consist of: GM-less, dice less, conflict less, no prep, no conflict, and I'm currently exploring no acting-in-character. This has made me wonder if...
  5. R

Lets Learn Each Other How to Pitch Our Games

Lets Learn How to Pitch Our Games I will present this in form of a game. Rules Read the following article. What you're going to present in this thread is a narrative pitch. You're only allowed to present your pitch after you first give your initial reaction to the latest pitch in this thread...
  6. R

Modifications without calculations [Dice mechanic]

Just had an idea that I want to share. × I'm not fond of calculations, even if I'm really good at it myself. × I'm not fond of modifications like getting +2 because if you need to roll 12, get a +2, that bonus will only be usable if you roll 10 or 11. I would rather see a bonus make a...
  7. R

You cannot add more game to a game

This is a thread for those who really wants to dive deep into the basics of game design and (my interpretation of) the uses of gamification. This has recently been up on Story Games, and I pull my hair of how people stare themselves blind on the game part. Yesterday, I wrote this on G+. Play...
  8. R

A system I need to get out of my head

I don't like how the core in D&D is built. It got numbers for attributes that aren't used. D&D4 got a bonus for level but it only gives a more complex game on higher levels without meaning anything because the difficulty scale with the level. It got tons of feats that do the same things. D&D4...
  9. R

A Brief Example of Using My Game Theory to Build a Game

I spent the last two years going outside this hobby to read about design. Both game design but also more general design principles formed by our human psychology. I shared my readings and thoughts in a thread over at Story Games and it has grown to be a massive thread. What I discovered from my...
  10. R

[Imagine] Seeks proofreading/editing

I remember when I did that—trying to come up with answers about someone I didn’t know, and I always got the same falling feeling in my guts as the times when I laid on the ground, watched the night sky and wondered how big the universe is. This is the what Imagine will do to us. This is a...
  11. R

Creating Intrinsic Motivation

This is the first one of a series of posts about how to engage someone through a gaming experience. Intrinsic Motivation I'm a strong believer in the overjustification effect and Cognitive Evaluation Theory. These two theories, based on observations, shows that tangible rewards (ex. money...
  12. R

Common mistakes I've done ...

... and that I see people constantly do. To design a game is a learning progress. People say that to be able to produce a good game, you must have made a bunch of crappy ones. Here are some thing I've learned on my way, and that I see some fresh game designers are doing now. Design Goals My...
  13. R

The World of Thrice

I think Thrice is going to be a very different experience, because it's going to be have a tactical combat system, but outside combat will be a diceless resolutions system where the players are instead challenged in a creative manner. Because I want anything outside of combat to be solved by...
  14. R

Need help editing a RPG article

Two years ago, I wrote an article called The Fish Tank as a Mystery. It was a writing method for creating a mystery in 20-40 minutes. I'm now going to follow up that article with The Fish Tank as an Intrigue, and I need your help with editing and proofreading. It's a 2,5 pages long article, and...
  15. R

So here are some thoughts of my tactical game Thrice

I created a game that I called Thrice. It consisted of two pages and had more tactical depth than D&D4. Why I could achieve this was because of one simple reason: roleplaying games takes a lot of effort to learn so you can start playing it, while board games takes a lot of effort to learn to...
  16. R

Design features on character sheets

I'm not only a game designer, I'm also a graphic designer, and I love the combining the two. One thing I adored with the board game Knights of Camelot was that the hit points were visualized with a typical die. This instantly conveyed the message that a knight could have at most 6 hit points...
  17. R

[Two-fold game] Critique wanted - The Murder of Crow

[Two-page game] Critique wanted - The Murder of Crow Had this idea for a while, mostly as a play of thought, and the competition made me write it down. What I wonder is simple. Apart from the language, is there anything that feels unclear when it comes to how to play this game? I'm thinking of...
  18. R

Bribes, lures and simulation

With Thrice, my intentions with the game was to make the players discuss tactics. I did that by coming up with combinations of powers, that everyone had access too but only could activate a limited number per turn, and I also let the players activate powers for each other. I succeeded with my...
  19. R

Rewarding play

Sure, but I need you to define what you had in mind when you mean "rewarding play"? Meanwhile, I have talked about what I think you mean before, both here and on Story Games. Bribes, lures, punishment. Just because they exist in game design, doesn't mean it must be a good thing in all occasions.
  20. R

Emergent design: designing for communication

See also, Emergent design: designing for options A Definition of Communication ... ... and how I will use the word in this thread. I emphasized "living", because I don't agree with it. A telephone communicates with a satellite when you're using the GPS in the telephone, for example. In the...
Top Bottom