• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

Search results

1. O

A highly ambitious multiverse campaign

This an idea that's been rattling around in my head for a while: a campaign in which the heroes would be transmigrating through parallel realities, each of which would manifest as a different RPG. With each transmigration, each player would be inhabiting a new body and a new identity, but with...
  2. O

Combining an Inverse Death Spiral with Targeted Injuries

First off, I am an absolutely huge fan of Tenra Bansho Zero's style of injuries, and I've made it both a core aspect of my homebrew, and something that I houserule onto nearly every game I run. As character's take wounds, they gain bonuses to all of their rolls. Thus, as combat goes on, the...
  3. O

Advice for Running Legends of the Wulin?

My current games are wrapping up, and I'm hoping to make my next campaign a Legends of the Wulin game. I'm about to be moving to China to study martial arts for a year, and if I'm able to get a tabletop group together at my school, then Legends of the Wulin is too fitting not to do. I've never...
  4. O

🎨 Creative 101 Deadly Assassins

I thought I'd give a whirl at starting a 101 thread. Give me your various flavors of professional killers, either individuals or groups. 1) The Faceless Man The Faceless Man isn't invisible, per se; he is just so incredibly plain, so supernaturally forgettable, that any details of his...
  5. O

Four-stat D&D

As has been noted on this forum, D&D runs into a "hegemony of dexterity" problem. One of the solutions - which I'm a fan of - is to roll strength and constitution into one "body" stat. For those of you unfamiliar with this issue, let's review: Strength covers: -One skill -Melee attack rolls...
  6. O

Anima Prime Expanded Power List

I'm currently running a campaign of Anima Prime based on the Kingdom Hearts game, and for that game, I wrote a bunch of additional powers. Seeing as AP doesn't get a whole lot of fan-generated content, I figured I'd post them here. Most of them have been used in-game, and though some have proven...
  7. O

Making "exploration" interesting

In DND 5e, they lay out the three basic pillars of tabletop RPGs as Combat, Social Interaction, and Exploration. Using that model, that third pillar has always kind of stumped me. Most of my memories of doing "exploration" in other D&D games is a lot of rolling for encounter checks and making...
  8. O

Collectivizing Ownership of Hit Points

With my current Anima Prime game, I've made it a rule to always treat groups of monsters as a single large entity, with a single action pool, set of wounds, etc, and who takes a turn every time a player takes a turn. This works out really well, both in that's easier book keeping-wise to have...
  9. O

What is the least playable RPG?

After reading a thread about Space Opera and it's byzantine rules for throwing and catching, a question rises: What is the least playable RPG? In terms of overly complicated, unweildly systems, who did it best?
  10. O

Tag Based Weapon System

I've been going back to the drawing board on equipment for my steampunk/wuxia RPG. I want to equipment to feel both unique and important, and to that end, I'm creating a set of equipment "tags" that can be applied to weapons, vehicles, tools, etc. I'm starting by trying to really hammer out my...
  11. O

Skill Points vs Skill Pyramids

I'm re-reading the Fate Core book, and contemplating the concept of the "Skill Pyramid" they use vs a standard "you have so many skill points" setup. I find when allotted skill point, I personally have a tendency to focus on a handful of skills I plan on using a lot, and pumping them all into...
  12. O

Is Rolling Initiative Worthwhile?

Because I'm thinking "no." In almost every game I run, I do freestyle initiative - in combat, players determine their own turn order, with a full round being completed once everyone has acted, and NPC's acting as responses to player actions. In my experience, it makes for a much more fluid and...
  13. O

Relationship Mechanic Idea

So this crossed my mind the other day. A mechanic by which, upon first meeting an NPC, a PC can roll for a past relationship with that NPC. If the roll is successful, the past relationship was positive; if the roll failed, it was a negative one. Depending on implementation, this might be tied to...
  14. O

Creating Drama

So, it seems simple, but it's something I've been focusing on of late: how do you create drama in tabletop RPGs? I'm currently playing in a game of Masks, and we are routinely able to get intense amounts of emotion in both player-player and player-NPC relationships. I'm also currently running a...
  15. O

Riggers, Shamans, and other Zookeepers

So I was thinking about the various "Zookeeper" archetypes that pop up in various RPGs, who's role is defined as having one or several proxies that they act through. Examples include: -A roboticist with an arsenal of drones -A summoner who conjures magical spirits -A mastermind with an...
  16. O

Implementing Tenra Bansho Zero style damage systems in other games

I tend to hack and modify pretty much any game system I run pretty heavily, and haven't run a game RAW since high school. One of my favorite mechanics from any game is the way Tenra Bansho Zero handles damage; specifically, the idea that characters get bonuses to their rolls as they suffer...
  17. O

An alternate D&D physical stat setup

This is an idea I've been noodling around with. It's mostly lifted from Fate Core's physical attribute setup, re-purposed into a D20 environment. One of the problems that I feel like get's touched on a lot is the "hegemony of dexterity" problem; as a stat, dexterity is very, very useful, because...
  18. O

Help with an inventory system

So I've got this steampunk RPG, and being a steampunk RPG, it's very important that inventor/gadgeteer characters are fully-realized potential builds. Key to this is having a system for pulling things out of your hat - your doctor has a vial of sleeping dust when he needs to drug a guard, your...
  19. O

RPG Crushes

I've developed this thing that I refer to as an "RPG crush." Don't worry, it's not crushing on someone in an RP group; it's crushing on an RPG itself. Finding out about games that I reallllly want to play, but due to RPGs being a niche and non-D&D RPGs being a niche within a niche, just can't...
  20. O

Representing Reach of Melee Weapons

So, I've been thinking about ways to represent reach/length of melee weapons in a way that's elegant, meaningful, and does not involve battle maps or keeping track of distances (of which I am not a fan). My thoughts so far are something like this: any weapon has a Reach value associated with...
Top Bottom