• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

Search results

1. G

What should I read for the next Hugo Awards?

I've never read everything nominated for the Hugo Awards, but I was suprised this year that I made a clean sweep. I read absolutely none of the written nominees, apart from the first few Laundry books by Charlie Stross. I'd like to do a little better for the 2020 Hugos, especially since they're...
  2. G

Exact number of views on a thread?

Is it possible to get the exact number of views of a thread, rather than just rounded up to the nearest thousand? I ask because I'm posting installments on a setting creation thread and I want to check if people are reading it.
  3. G

The best aliens in RPGs

I mentioned a while back that SF RPGs generally have interesting, creative alien races even if the worldbuilding is subpar in other ways. So let's explore some examples. The definition of "alien" here is very broad. They don't have to be available as playable characters - most of the best...
  4. G

Tell me about awakened animals

So I was flipping through the fifth edition monster manual looking for some low-level opponents, and I noticed that non-magical animals are interesting, diverse opponents over a wide range of levels. They'd be even more interesting if they were all Awakened, and lots of different species with...
  5. G

What would a millennial Quantum Leap be like?

I don't know how to link to tweets, but the idea here comes from Emily VanDerWerff on twitter. Someone remakes Quantum Leap with exactly the same rules, but updated for 2019. So our hero was born in 1983 and time travels randomly between that year and today, taking the place of assorted people...
  6. G

What core races and classes can be dropped?

I'm working on a minimalist setting based on the 5th edition core books. The idea is that the details of the world emerge from the options at character creation. If there are clerics, there are gods. If there are half-orcs, then there are orcs that can have children with humans, and so on. I...
  7. G

What superhero stories are left to adapt?

Since we've just had the second live-action adaptation of the Dark Phoenix saga, I've been thinking about how many comic-book stories have been adapted and what's left over. We've had a lot, sometimes very loosely based on the comic. The Infinity Gauntlet, Doomsday, Civil War, Age of Ultron, and...
  8. G

What's your finale montage? (Game of Thrones and Scorpion Spoilers)

Some viewers have expressed disappointment with the ending of Game of Thrones, so Dan Olsen made a video montage explaining what happened next: (Spoilers, obviously.) But other series have had unsatisfying or abrupt endings too. How would you write a montage to tie them up? Here's my...
  9. G

The MCU Playlist

I'm thinking of doing an MCU movie rewatch once the Captain Marvel DVD comes out, and I wanted to include a music clip with each review. This is mostly swiping from the X-Men review on this forum, but I'd like to include a prominent song from each movie's soundtrack. If that's not possible, I'll...
  10. G

What should happen on the MCU What-If show?

Disney have announced that one of the shows on their new streaming service will be an animated series inspired by the Marvel What-If comics. It'll be an anthology series, showing alternate-universe versions of events in the MCU. One episode is rumoured to show Peggy Carter getting the...
  11. G

Which X-Men should be used in the MCU?

It's now possible for the X-Men to appear in MCU movies, although Disney has no immediate plans for them to do so. I was thinking about how to distinguish mutants from the other MCU superheroes, and one possibility is to go character-by-character. You don't have a superpowered team travelling...
  12. G

Find my premise

This is a thread where people with an idea for a story (broadly speaking) can post it and check if it's been used before, in books, movies, comics or what have you. You can't copyright a premise and it's perfectly acceptable to write something even if the basic idea has been used before. But...
  13. G

What should a Green Lantern movie be about?

DC movies are getting better now, and eventually they'll get back to Green Lantern. So what's the best approach to making a Green Lantern movie? Recent superhero movies seem to be most successful when they identify what's distinctive about the superhero, and lean extremely hard on that. Wonder...
  14. G

🎨 Creative Building an Interstellar Setting

I've had an idea for an interstellar SF setting, and I thought I'd post the various stages of developing the setting here. It might inspire readers to create their own, attract useful advice or criticism, and help me keep motivated. So, the big idea is that faster-than-light travel is magic...
  15. G

How would you pitch Star Trek as an original setting?

I'm working on an original SF RPG setting, propbably for GURPS or a similar system. There's tons of stuff I could write about it, but I'm wondering how I would summarise it for a recruitment post on a forum, what the players would actually need to know. So here's a little exercise to help me...
  16. G

Which TV show has the best Muslim regular character?

One of those trivial coincidences that draw my attention is that both Doctor Who and Legends of Tomorrow are about ragtag groups of time travellers, and both have fairly young female Muslim characters, Yaz and Zari respectively. There's also the male lead Zidan on the procedural FBI. What they...
  17. G

What's the most distinctive adventure for each game?

I nitpick Eclipse Phase a lot, but I realised it's one of only a few games where five PCs can all be copies of a single, dead, person. This is a actual published adventure, Ego Hunter. Even the quickstart for the latest edition has one character who's already gone through the adventure, died...
  18. G

Who's the best manager in popular culture?

I was listening to a podcast about the Barclay holodeck addiction episode of TNG, and the hosts mentioned that Picard managed the whole mess quite well and could even be a model for managing difficult employees in the real world. So I wondered who would be the fictional character who's the best...
  19. G

Alien Creation for Busy People

I've become interested in a hypothetical SF game where player create their own alien race for their PC. Have a token human as an NPC, and it could be a neat way to get the players involved in creating the setting. I've asked about existing systems which allow you to do this, and there are a few...
  20. G

SF games where you can create your own aliens

Back when we were discussing uplifted animals, I had a look at the preview for GURPS: Uplift, the sourcebook for playing GURPS games in David Brin's Uplift universe. I was interested to see there's a procedure for inventing your own non-sapient animal, then Uplifting it to produce a new alien...
Top Bottom