• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

Search results

1. C

[4E] Timing of release of Essentials, one beef with WotC

Got my red box today, from my FLGS, and I have to say that I like the product well enough, but one thing is really ticking me off: I pre-ordered, and my FLGS couldn't get it to me until today. Meanwhile, I saw it in the local Barnes and Nobles 10 days ago. Now, I know what happened. My FLGS...
  2. C

[4E, any] Is "Power" the new "Level"?

Too many uses of "level" in D&D was a long-running, if minor complaint--famously last parodied I believe in Order of the Stick. Recently, I saw a comment that "Power" was used in too many ways? Likewise, "attack" in the new Essentials RC glossary was dinged for this problem. But more...
  3. C

[4E] The essential nature of a 4E crafting system?

I've been wondering this for some time, and I see it is now getting discussed tangentially in some of the related crafting topics. So, this is about what a crafting system for 4E--designed to fit in the 4E paradigm and add something signicant to it, would need to do or not do, be or not be...
  4. C

[D&D] Have the classic edition war arguments been "dumbed down"?

There was a time when you could really get into long arguments about the alignment of Batman, or the relative merits of specific polearms against types of armor, or precisely what you should do to a wizard over the course of his career to make up for that god-like power at the end (assuming he...
  5. C

[4E] The prime issue with 4E - it is D&D you can play it wrong

It occurred to me this week, as sort of a synthesis of various topics going on now and hanging around in the back of my head, that the reason 4E has been so contentious is that you can play it "wrong" and people don't want/understand that with a version of D&D. Not that there is anything...
  6. C

[4E, Basic] Hacking 4E magic items for a more Basic feel

This is about 95% ivory tower design, and some of it more brainstorming than well thought. You've been warned, but all kinds of critical comments doubly welcome. ;) Also, I'm aware that DMG 2 will be talking about this, but I doubt they are going for the same thing I am. I've said before that...
  7. C

[4E] House rule idea for PHB 2 defense feats

No math in this post, though I'm taking some of the math guys conclusions at face value. (Some of them.) Propose that all Fortitude, Reflex, and Will boosting feats in PHB2 retain their current values, but apply only to conditions imposed by attacks, not damage. All such feats become...
  8. C

[4E] Fans, a link you should read

A conversation about 4E design helping other games, in roleplaying general. Not only does it have some good stuff, as a bonus, you may discover things, through the uninhibited posting, which will save you time arguing here in the near future. I, for one, found it very revealing.
  9. C

In sandbox, blunt instruments can be subtle

In one of the sandbox topics, Tigerbunny said this of a one of his GM's trying to run sandbox: I realized that I was once in danger of being that kind of GM. I managed to avoid it only because I knew my players were pretty clever. So if they were having trouble following what was going on...
  10. C

Personal gaming milestones reached

As of sometime this week, I have been a roleplayer twice as long as I have not. By an odd coincidence of how I have split my time between games, that also makes me a D&D player for 1/3 of my life--or half my gaming life. What gaming milestones have you reached recently? :cool:
  11. C

Nominate best topics of the last month - AKA tell me what I missed

I had a car accident 3 weeks. (I'm fine now, except for a 4 hour gap in my memory. My car is dead, but better it than me. :D ) Anyway, I missed out on the discussion here. I see with a quick review that we have some new stuff and the usual rehash. So tell me the topics that I absolutely need...
  12. C

[4E, AP] The Players Go In Cold

This was our intro session for 4E, which I ran as somewhat of an experiment for new players. See here for where I asked for help a couple of weeks ago. (Some overlap with this topic.) Characters were all pregens (by me). Since we had 8 of our 10 players, I looked at the class and race list...
  13. C

[4E] Abstraction coming home to roost

Spun off from the Pro-Con topic. The thought is that 4E has moved the rest of the game closer to the abstraction that hit points has always been--rather than make hit points less abstract. Generally, when working with abstractions, you want most of the related abstractions to be of a similar...
  14. C

[4E] Critique My Plan for Intro Session

Messy background in cave man speak: Like 4E, got one set of rules, am moving July 12th, running a game for 7-8 people on July 19th (mostly my usual group, all people I know well and have run game for before). All day session. (Or two half day sessions on same day.) Players should get a good...
  15. C

Burning OotS, or Too Much System on the Brain

I went to the BurningWheel web site, got thrown by their little tease, found my way to their forums, read more teases -- and then, with the powder blue and other comments, jumped through a series of associations so silly that even Elan would blush. The stopping point was the idea of Burning...
  16. C

Good Playtesting?

Spun off from Levi's topic on potential changes in the industry. There was talk of good playtesting in various posts. I'm not sure the assumptions of what constitutes good playtesting are shared. Assertion: Good Playtesting is more art than science, and is highly skewed towards managable...
  17. C

The Trajectory of D&D Design: Art vs Engineering

I have one major concern with where D&D is going. And by this, I mean where it has been going from since Gygax first let it loose on the world to the projected life of 4E. I'm probably going to botch the explanation, and add to the considerable flames, but I'm going to try to express my...
  18. C

[WoW] Balance druid - Insect swarm?

Is Insect swarm worth picking up late for a balance druid? Once I got the summoned treats, I was picking up resto talents for off-healing, but it occurred to me that maybe I should grab a few things I missed. Hitting 56 and getting a measly 4 spell upgrades (3 feral and healing touch), left me...
  19. C

What people mean when they say D&D should ...

I think I have spotted one of the big communication stumbling blocks in the D&D discussions. I'm putting it in blunt lanugage for clarity. Pick the one that most applies to you, and refine it to fit what you actually mean. :D A. D&D should do X because it is a better way to approach what the...
  20. C

[MMORPG, WoW] Solo vs Group design issues

It seems that every game to come down the pike wrestles with the issue of how to make solo play viable for all characters, but make group play more interesting by including real needs and differences in the characters. It seems that no game ever quite manages to hit a home run in this respect...
Top Bottom