• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

Search results

1. mindstalk

Beating a dead horse: Confederates in Steampunk RPGs

You don't need to be an industrial power to make things so obnoxious that a Great Power gives up and goes home.
  2. mindstalk

Convinicing my players that the Unnatural is sanity-blowing

I suspect they basically disagree with "sanity loss from experiences" as a concept.
  3. mindstalk

[All D&D] The problems with darkvision and infravision.

We had a thread on the implications of darkvision. Like limited range. https://forum.rpg.net/index.php?threads/building-nonhuman-architecture.838175/ Monsieur Meubel would talk about how all races in the Monster Manual had darkvision except for humans, halflings, and a couple others. Mind...
  4. mindstalk

[El Goonish Shive] I can't be the only one here who reads it ...

Yes, they have met https://egscomics.com/comic/2015-12-30
  5. mindstalk

[All D&D] The problems with darkvision and infravision.

I think RuneQuest trolls have Darksense which is basically bat-like sonar. So you know they can 'see' shapes and textures but not colors. (sonic) shadows are still potentially relevant. Tolkien elves and dwarves were all about light. You could plausibly give them low-light vision, seeing...
  6. mindstalk

[Sell me on] That Certain Magical/Scientific *Splat*

Wait, I got really confused between Railgun and Accelerator. Have edited.
  7. mindstalk

[Sell me on] That Certain Magical/Scientific *Splat*

Someone said once "The high points of Index are better than the high points of Railgun, but the high points of Index all feature Railgun (the character)". Not true?
  8. mindstalk

What effects would large scale powered flight have on medieval Strategy and tactics?

OTOH armies may have lots of campfires, and these airships may not be as high up.
  9. mindstalk

Games built from the economy up?

Sure, but that gets away from classic gaming ("find stuff and run") and "gold for XP". Price discrimination still assumes you're making sales. So some other cleric should be able to come in and sell spells, if not at that price then at somewhat lower.
  10. mindstalk

Options: * safe, normal, hardworking life. * dangerous adventuring life, for life. * dangerous adventuring life, until you have enough of a big haul, then safe, lazy, life. (If you survive. Many don't, because dangerous.) Now, you could argue that the people willing to take big risks for a...
  11. mindstalk

But if demand is so low, why is the price so high? It's not like there's a high production cost to casting the spell. The only other reason for high price would be high opportunity cost -- something else the caster could be doing that's equally lucrative and uses up the spell slot. Things are...
  12. mindstalk

There's also arsenic bronze, which might be behind the trope of the crippled blacksmith. The wiki page mentioned some South American arsenic bronze, though maybe made by accident.
  13. mindstalk

Are you loyal to humanity?

Again, the narrator of the Hobbit outright says that elves are Good People. Many people and some dwarves go over to the Enemy. The closest you get among elves is Maeglin. The closest to an unprovoked murderous jerkass elf is Eol. The Sindar hunting Petty-Dwarves was because they thought the...
  14. mindstalk

Today's Order of the stick 21: Who Died and Made You Boss?

And yet the Aesir keep fighting, because what are you going to do, give in early? No! I always liked that.
  15. mindstalk

So in D&D, the price for anything useful to adventurers, even when mundane, is ridiculously unaffordable compared to the common income. Buying magic spells is very expensive... implying that the PC spellcasters could make tons of money just from casting Light or Cure Light Wounds every day...
  16. mindstalk

Ada Palmer, in her notes for her Sundown song cycle, claimed that for the Norse the problem of evil wasn't "why do the gods permit evil" but "how do the gods manage to pull off what they do". Midgard and Asgard as a Point of Light on the cosmic scale, with the gods barely holding back the...
  17. mindstalk

Let's give Tyr a hand.
  18. mindstalk

I always thought it was later. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Little_Ice_Age has "It has been conventionally defined as a period extending from the 16th to the 19th centuries,[3][4][5] but some experts prefer an alternative timespan from about 1300[6] to about 1850." Hmm, apparently there were...
  19. mindstalk

What story is that?
Top Bottom