• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

Search results

1. A

[ISTKOTRO] Good System for a Forbidden Siren Game?

For anyone who is unfamiliar with Forbidden Siren, it's a (short) series of Japanese horror games. The most appropriate system I can think of would be some kind of zombie survival game with troupe gameplay - but I'm unfamiliar enough with that kind of game that I want to pick the brains of the...
  2. A

[PSA] On Showing Off Your System

Alright, this might seem a bit petty, but... I've noticed a lot of games will have a Youtube video (or twelve) that show off systems and gameplay. This is pretty good, because some people work best off of audiovisual. I've also seen some games (usually on Kickstarter) where the pitch is in the...
  3. A

Resident Evil for the Tabletop?

So, I'm currently rewatching a Let's Play of Resident Evil Revelations 2, and I was wondering how I'd get some of that goodness onto the tabletop. Specifically, I'm looking for: • Mundane but competent PCs. A smidge under "action movie hero", maybe? No point if you aren't supplexing the BOWs...
  4. A

🎨 Creative [It's My Birthday] I request silly names!

My job is just a tad off soul-crushing, so I need some light-heartedness. I request names in the vein of Miss Demeanor (where they're a straightforward pun), or Skeleteen (where they just sound like a team of bored toy execs made them up between lines of cocaine.)
  5. A

An Overly Complex Damage System (maybe)

Alright, since this isn't really attached to any sort of existing RPG, and is mostly for people to steal from if they see anything they particularly like, numbers are going to be a bit vague. --- YOUR HEALTH AND YOU A given character has a hit-point pool which contains some number of...
  6. A

[Ridiculous] The Psychic Snake Man Index

So, I was amazingly bored at work today, and I came up with the following entirely useless game rating system: A game's Psychic Snake Man index is determined by thinking about what parts of "psychic snake man" would feel inappropriate as a character pitch for the game. The game gets a point for...
  7. A

🎨 Creative [Setting Riff] Elemental Currents

The Greeks used to recognize four elements - Air, Earth, Fire, and Water. The Chinese would have disagreed - there are five processes that comprise the world (Earth, Fire, Metal, Water, and Wood). The Japanese? Five elements as well - take the Greek set and slap on Void, and you've (mostly) got...
  8. A

Paper Doll RPG

This might sound like a bit of an odd question, but are there any games that use paper dolls to represent characters? I know you could just use a paper doll as your "portrait", but I'm thinking of something more ingrained in the mechanic. Your character gets injured? Keep track of it on the...
  9. A

🎨 Creative [Riff] Setting from Music Videos

Danger Mouse - Two Against One Siames - The Wolf Eiffel - Place De Mon Coeur I want to play some games in the setting these videos show off - can anyone think of anything else I should know before I start drawing up my campaign notes? (Basically the idea here is to come up with a semi-coherent...
  10. A

[Terrible Idea] Dice pool where adding dice doesn't affect probabilities?

I have this joke going with one of my coworkers that one day I will write an RPG where the stats on your character sheet are completely and utterly irrelevant. Of course, this hypothetical game would also have a very convoluted resolution system that looks like it has plenty of ways to fiddle...
  11. A

🎨 Creative [101] Terrible Resolution Mechanics

In honor of my work-enforced vacation... We've all seen 'em, we've probably thought of some in our weak moments... so I call upon TRO to supply me with 101 terrible resolution mechanics. 1) You resolve challenges by playing the knife game. You get bonuses for getting close to your fingers, and...
  12. A

[CofD] Collected homebrew

I've been doing some curating with my homebrew for the Chronicles of Darkness, and I've made this "little" document collecting most of the actually decent merits and microtemplates. You can find it here, if you care to. It's not complete - I still have some stuff to clean up - but there should...
  13. A

[ISTKOTTRO] In The Land Of The Deaf

I'm currently fiddling with a setting where most of the human population is deaf(but not necessarily mute), and where hearing is essentially treated the same way as having "second sight" would be in other settings (there are blind but audible "spirits" mucking around - they're the ones spoken...
  14. A

[UA3] A Few Questions

So I'm currently in a rather nice place about Unknown Armies 3e - it pushes a lot of my "ooh, I like this" buttons. However, there are some... points of friction, that I kind of want to resolve before I try and run it. 1) Is there a particular reason that you need five things from each...
  15. A

Games with Weird Character Creation?

So... Most games I've looked at over the years have one of a few "standard" character creation methods (lifepaths, pregens, make-up-some-traits, pool o' points, playbooks, or pick-from-the-list). So I've gotten to wondering... How many games are there that don't fall into those categories? Or...
  16. A

[Half-Baked] 3d6 Attribute Advancement

A random thought that came to me just before going to bed: Take a game where you randomly roll for your attributes - you roll 3d6 and figure your modifier from that. However, rather than adding up your dice, record them separately - you determine your modifier directly from the dice you rolled...
  17. A

Roll To The Middle

Alright, I've been messing with the following a bit: • You have skills that go from 1 - 6, and attributes that go from 0 - 3. • Whenever you roll for something, you roll 2d6. Then take the middle value between those two dice and a relevant Skill. So if you rolled a 1 and a 3, and your Skill is...
  18. A

Cool Dice That Haven't Been Used

This was going to be a post in the normal vs. custom dice thread, but I think it would be a little off topic. I mostly just want to point out a few neat dice that I don't think have ever been used for RPGs (please, correct me if I'm wrong): • Sicherman dice are a pair of unequal d6s that happen...
  19. A

🎨 Creative [Setting Riff] Cyberdogs

It's 2047, and some things are a bit different than what a lot of futurists were expecting. Oh, sure, you've got your strong AI, robots, and brain uploads. You've got universal healthcare - lifespans are up by 30 years or more! We've cracked climate change and geologic-scale superstructures, so...
  20. A

[Nobilis 3e] Some Help With Estate Properties?

I've had this idea for a while that one of the (failed) counter-offences in the Valde Bellum was an attempt by Heaven to define the Lands Beyond Creation in terms of an Estate. The end result (Emptiness) is unhealthy for the Nobles that hold it, tending to do things like empty out your heart...
Top Bottom