• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

Search results

1. JJ Hall

[WIR] X-Men II: Focussed Totality Is A Song Within Her When Ah'm Blastin'!

Link to the first thread. August 30, 1983 At the movies: On the radio: Magik 1 of 4 We open on Illyana watching the sunrise outside the mansion on the day she turns fourteen. She reflects on how half her life she was a prisoner in Hell, 'where I was consort to a devil,' and what that...
  2. JJ Hall

[WIR] X-Men: The Strangest Super-Heroes of All!

Hey everyone! I'm going to read X-Men comics in this thread! I'll start from the very beginning and try to go through everything available on Marvel Unlimited up until the Nineties. I'm told they get really really bad that decade, plus all X-books through 1989 is a big enough project by...
  3. JJ Hall

X-Men: Dark Phoenix News and Speculation

Pics, ergo it is indeed happening. X-Men: Dark Phoenix is on its way, with marketing and everything! Are you excited!? Interested!? Awake? I kid. That last one was a dud, and the Disney acquisition can't help but loom over this production, and on top of that the average quality of Fox's...
  4. JJ Hall

One Piece and Dragon Ball Super One-Hour Specials

A double-episode-length One Piece special will air on Fuji TV October 1st, followed a week later by a similar DBS special. Speculation so far has centred on whether the specials will be a two-part crossover, which I guess could be cool. (I don't watch One Piece, but have heard good things about...
  5. JJ Hall

Oathbringer [Stormlight Archive Book Three]

Brandon Sanderson's next brick fantasy novel, Oathbringer, is being released November 14. Every Tuesday from today 'til then, Tor.com is putting out a free excerpt, starting with the prologue. The main narrative will no doubt pick up right where Words of Radiance left off, given the riots in...
  6. JJ Hall

Dragons and Princesses

Apropos of nothing but an idle thought*, I've been reflecting on that old chestnut, "Airborne Lizard/Furnace Snatches Female Relative of Local Ruler." This pre-modern meme is still pretty popular too, if Amazon's Paranormal Romance section is any indication. I think it must be that the...
  7. JJ Hall

The Americans Season Five: Bratty Teens and Buried Treasure

Dobro pozhalovat' nazad, tovarishchi! The fifth season premiere, Amber Waves, has aired, and corruption is the theme of the day: Oleg has returned to the Union and assigned to take on powerful people within the Soviet power structure to put a stop to the abuses of privilege he's benefited from...
  8. JJ Hall

Princess Leia Obituary

Malcolm Sheppard's piece on his Wordpress page is the best take I've seen so far. This bit in particular struck me: Whatever else you want to say about her*, the way she fearlessly put herself and those closest to her at the sharp end reveals the complete lack of artifice to this woman. Yes...
  9. JJ Hall

Really That Good: Titanic

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-I2Dgu7mNto Hrm. This is a weird one, as Bob discusses in the video, since it's utterly undeniable that this movie was the hugest thing in of its time and it would be ridiculous to try to downplay its impact on everyone (I was just a kid, but I remember how...
  10. JJ Hall

Honouring the Heroes of Game of Thrones

Who is the greatest hero of HBO's Game of Thrones? Who is the most inspiring champion of righteousness in a setting all too willing to revel in the iniquity of the human condition? Is it Ser Alliser Thorne, the man of the Night's Watch who freed his brothers from the grip of Jon Snow, Wildling...
  11. JJ Hall

Glaciesignisology: A Study of Ice and Fire

I spend a lot of time reading smart people's meta-commentary on George R. R. Martin's Song of Ice and Fire fantasy novels, like this post explaining something that should be obvious to people who think iconoclasm is just pulling Shyamalan twists out of nowhere. It's a lot of fun, so this thread...
  12. JJ Hall

Batman Forgotten

Bob Chipman's got another Batman-related hot take, everyone! His thesis this time is that The Dark Knight, which was supposed to change everything for superhero films, didn't make much impact at all. I think he exaggerates a little -- I saw quite a bit of TDK in Godzilla(2014), for example...
  13. JJ Hall

Zelda V Peach: Dawn of Asskicking

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Oo9n89guRM&channel=andrewmfilms In this corner, from AndrewMFilms, the High Lady of Hyrule reigns righteously! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iwMvi8vzNhk&channel=screwattack In this corner, from ScrewAttack, the Mushroom Matriarch scooooooores! Which fight...
  14. JJ Hall

New Scooby-Doo Film Announced

So this is happening.* Producers are the guys who did the live-action movies last decade and Allison Abbate, who worked on The Iron Giant and Fantastic Mr. Fox; director is Tony Cervone (supervising producer of Scooby-Doo: Mystery Incorporated and The Looney Tunes Show, animation director of...
  15. JJ Hall

[ASOIAF Spoilers] The Fate of Stannis Baratheon

Steven Attewell, a historian who teaches about Medieval government and politics as an actual job, fills his free time with an in-depth read of GRRM's anti-fantasy series. It is awesome, and if you're a superfan you owe it to yourself to check it out. His latest bit of brilliance is this essay...
  16. JJ Hall

ASoIaF: When Harry Met Sansa [Spoilers]

New Winds of Winter chapter released! Harry's a douche, as expected. Littlefinger's pimping ways surface in his seduction advice. Robert's more perceptive than I'd thought. Lots of worrisome things: 1. Sansa compares Myranda Royce to Jeyne Poole. That cannot be good. 2. Baelish is...
  17. JJ Hall

Halloween Game: The Scariest Way to Die

You jerk awake -- you're tied to a chair in a dark room and have a splitting headache. There's an open window in front of you; you can see people milling about on the street below. You're disoriented at first, but soon realize you can call to the people on the street for help. As you take a...
  18. JJ Hall

WIR The Dying Earth Part Two: Cugel Is Gross and I Hate Him

Cugel's Saga Hoo boy. A whole other book all about this asshole. This one was published in 1983, a late-career return to the setting Vance created more than thirty years previously. Things I want from him: austere, haunting prose; a setting full of decayed wonders; and a never-ending...
  19. JJ Hall

[ASoIaF] The Princess and the Queen

So, I started a Where I Read thread last year and stopped posting in it after a while. I feel guilty about this, so I've decided to get back to it, but first I need to go through this story. I'm really excited by it and think it'll get the WIR juices flowing again. I've loved the story of the...
  20. JJ Hall

This Might Be the Best Thing Ever. Please Help Me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yw3Th_3nN3A I don't know if I need therapy or a swift, merciful death or what, but I don't think I can deal with the fact that this webisode show is awesome on my own.
Top Bottom