• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

Search results

1. L

Sell me/unsell me on The Fantasy Trip

Yes, I ran a house-ruled version of TFT that evolved over the years but had this as a core concept. After playing around with it for a while, I think it only works well if you introduce several 'gate keeping' talents that serve as prerequisites for sub-sets of spells and enchantments. My pet...
  2. L

TFT is not a game that is designed to satisfy a player's desires to have it all. If you are only happy when you can emulate exploits of movie or video game super powered characters, then you won't like it. It's core design elements are based around trade offs that result in a great diversity of...
  3. L

I agree about published adventures; they are fun for an hour or two or three of play, and most of their value emerges when you are at the table, goofing off with your friends through some dungeon crawl. But I haven't seen one yet that rises to the level of my favorite ~20 published modules for...
  4. L

Man banned from UK Games Expo for rape in Tales From the Loop scenario, it ends up on the BBC [Was: Convention games, and the necessity of the X card]

This guy did something grotesquely manipulative and socially aggressive; I wouldn't have anything to do with him, at a gaming table or elsewhere. And any conference organizer who lets him run or play at an event game session is a reckless fool. But I don't agree with some of the reactions that...
  5. L

I would say there is an unstated subtext in TFT that non-combat play is more central to campaigns and even dungeon crawls than in many other games, simply because you will definitely die if you try to have 5-10 fights in a night of play. It's an extraordinarily deadly game, for the good reason...
  6. L

This is pretty fair; the energy from the game designers is focused on the experience of whacking off heads and poking around in dank dungeons. But the talent list is filled with possibilities for characters who focus on social skills and actions. And both the job system and the very detailed...
  7. L

Melee is certainly the simplest 'on ramp' TFT experience. And it is a small step to the magical duels and expanded monster diversity of Wizard. But there are a couple other intermediate step between those sorts of arena fights and the standard rpg campaign: larger, more complex skirmishes...
  8. L

Another important point for people really unfamiliar with TFT: It is possible to play the game in more or less the same mode as any other fantasy table top game. But the intent is that you will use all the 'stuff' that comes with the game (mostly the hex-map tiles, chit markers for combatants)...
  9. L

I've played a great deal of TFT (for long stretches, including the last decade, it has been my go-to system for most fantasy and quasi-historical pre-modern campaigns), and have been enmeshed with it since Melee was first published. I also spent close to 20 years playing GURPS as much (or...
  10. L

Looking for combat based fantasy game

Your OP is basically a perfect description of The Fantasy Trip. I've played tons of game systems, and none match your wish list in quite the same way. The only possible knock against it as a system for this purpose is that its combat and 'tactical magic' elements are built around the idea of...
  11. L

Steve Jackson has The Fantasy Trip again! [Kickstarted successfully!]

Yes, this is a game that has a number of 'game-y' concrete elements, but I always teach it by doing rather than by explaining. People figure out game play within the first 1-2 turns, and then naturally fill in the details that only arise in narrow circumstances. In this way it is more like...
  12. L

🔐 Closed SJG is continuing to work with accused sexual harasser Bill Webb. They are offering partial refunds to customers. [see redtext appended to OP]

I'm not making an outrageous request. The reports that I've seen pasted in or linked in this thread are not much more concrete than saying 'Bill Webb was reliably seen to perform an act that could be prosecuted as a felony'. That means something, but is not specific enough for me to understand...
  13. L

🔐 Closed SJG is continuing to work with accused sexual harasser Bill Webb. They are offering partial refunds to customers. [see redtext appended to OP]

I'm having trouble finding a concise description of the original offense by whats-his-face from FGG; all of the 'primary documents' I've seen use language that makes it difficult to understand what occurred. I understand that the issue has metastasized in some posters' views and now we're...
  14. L

TFT is GURPS-like in a lot of ways, but: - Has a stronger focus on fantasy settings (vs. modern, horror, etc.) - Is faster playing - Has very streamlined character creation - experienced players draw up complete and surprisingly nuanced characters in a minute or two, and can record them on a 3x5...
  15. L

Tunnels & Trolls 5 / 5.5

T+T is a great game and 5E is probably the best edition to use as your 'core' rules set, but it definitely needs house rules for one or two issues: 1) The standard rules for damage and armor make it essentially impossible to resolve melee fights between even approximately balanced foes in...
  16. L

Help me understand EGG's "Chainmail"

I don't think that interpretation is supported by the OD+D books themselves. They really seem to imply that the default combat system to be used while roleplaying generally is from Chainmail. I understand they didn't do it in play, but I can't think of a single passage that says anything like...
  17. L

Really?!? I don't need it myself, but there are people in my gaming group who do. Will the big Legacy Edition boxed set go to retailers? Will it be orderable through Amazon or directly from SJG?
  18. L

What system has the best wizard duels?

The Fantasy Trip, hands down. It is the only game I've encountered where a fight between two wizards involves careful decision making about distance, timing and resourcing on top of the rock/paper/scissors game of matching one spell against another. I don't know Ars Magica well enough to be...
  19. L

Got everything. All perfect. Can't write more - must go play....
  20. L

Help me understand EGG's "Chainmail"

I always really liked the mis matches between differently equiped combatants in Chainmail mass combat. It both creates tactical depth (because you have diverse figures with genuinely different capabilities), and is frankly more realistic than what you get in most roleplaying games. People who...
Top Bottom