• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

Search results

1. The Fiendish Dr. Samsara

[WIW] Old Black & White Sci-Fi and Horror flicks

NEEDLESSLY ANTAGONISTIC CAPTAIN: "You're a loose cannon, McCloudzilla! I've got my eye on you and you step out of line...or on Tokyo...just one more time, and I'll bust you back to the beat so fast, it will make your head spin!" ATOMIC FIRE OBLITERATES NEEDLESSLY ANTAGONISTIC CAPTAIN, HIS...
  2. The Fiendish Dr. Samsara

Yeah, they had to cut that scene where Godzilla delivers the bad news to the tiny faerie-widows and say, "I'm going to get the bastard who did this!"
  3. The Fiendish Dr. Samsara

[5E] ISTFD20SKnowledge, oh prince, Of making the *rules* feel Sword & Sorcery-y

I'm more thinking that it implies "this is a role for women" when it shouldn't. I like "Seducer" as more gender-neutral (sure, there is a female version, but Seducer works for both). Others might be "Libertine" or "Rake". Technically, "Witch" is also gender-neutral, although it has obviously...
  4. The Fiendish Dr. Samsara

I guess the exceptions are when Godzilla teams up with other kaiju and growls, "I'm getting too old for this shit". :)
  5. The Fiendish Dr. Samsara

[Supers] Seeking Superman-esque character name

In my gaming universe, he was called "The Archangel": Although often forgotten, the newspapers of the afternoon edition did not refer to this saviour as "the Archangel". The Times called him "The Guardian Angel of New York" and a number of other papers used the phrase "Angel of Mercy". It was...
  6. The Fiendish Dr. Samsara

I'll absolutely look at this, but could you say how much has changed since The Spider God's Bride? Also, shouldn't "Temptress" be less...female specific?
  7. The Fiendish Dr. Samsara

I don't want to detract from Goony's thread, but I think there is a qualitative difference between, say, the Giant Monster genre and the Buddy Action genre: the former is composed of mostly just awful movies while the latter of mostly mediocre movies. Of course, the great Giant Monster films...
  8. The Fiendish Dr. Samsara

My son and I were discussing this the other day and we concluded that the Giant Monster genre is composed of something like 99% dreck. Are there some good examples? Definitely. Them is a great Giant Insect movie; in fact, it's the only good Giant Insect movie we could think of...
  9. The Fiendish Dr. Samsara

Wikipedia, for what it's worth, says that The Giant Behemoth is also known as Behemoth the Sea Monster. Whatever you call it, I call it an unusually good member of a genre that is largely awful.
  10. The Fiendish Dr. Samsara

That's a neat idea, Stattick! It plays with the idea of the wise man = wizard.
  11. The Fiendish Dr. Samsara

Some thoughts on DragonQuest

Just a note: I'm in a crazy period with school starting back up and a play I am in about to start, so I'm finding it hard to continue this right now, but I do intend to continue as soon as I get a chance. After all, I really do want to get to Black Magic and the Frontiers of Alusia.
  12. The Fiendish Dr. Samsara

[OSR & Etc] General Discussion Thread

Didn't Jason Vey do a couple of "Supplements" for OD&D for playing Conan, which included all three combat systems, including one such as you are describing? I think the first was called "Age of Conan".
  13. The Fiendish Dr. Samsara

[OSR & Etc] General Discussion Thread

Although heavily Mythos-based, I can't recall Azathoth in particular being worshipped in "Carcossa", nor anything about swearing by him. Although it's been a long time since I've looked at that book. Hmn, something in the back of my mind is saying "Savage Swords of Athanor", but that might be...
  14. The Fiendish Dr. Samsara

Magic Goggles is, indeed, a pretty weka spell. But it isn't a speed bump because Adepts start play knowing all the General Knowledge Spells. It's just a fairly lame one you would have in your arsenal.
  15. The Fiendish Dr. Samsara

I mentioned last time that these Elemental Branches aren’t that interesting to me, so I have less to note on these. The Designers’ Notes say that the four Colleges of the classical elements are based on myth, which doesn’t seem very likely to me: not only have I never heard a myth about...
  16. The Fiendish Dr. Samsara

Although, back in the day, The Wilderlands of High Fantasy worked in the noble Dunael Rangers of Dearthwood in their epic battle against the Purple Claw Orcs and made that work. I love that point about travelling, although I think experiencing the wonder of exploration is also very much what...
  17. The Fiendish Dr. Samsara

Yep, they mostly seem to be kind of "anti-magic". BTW, I haven't given up, but I'm in the Element Branch right now and I have found that I really don't like this kind of thing anymore. So no real comments.
  18. The Fiendish Dr. Samsara

Jaws of the Six Serpents?

Enough to convince me to splurge the mighty two and half bucks to buy the Achtung! Chthulhu pdf. It occurs to me that some of that could be really useful to incorporate into Jaws!
Top Bottom