• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

Search results

1. Turbo

[Google Wave] Breakthrough technology for gaming?

I've been exploring various commentaries on the possible uses for Google Wave in RPGs, and was particularly struck by this one from GamePlayWrights http://gameplaywright.net/?p=1019 The emerging thought is that while Google Wave is in its infancy, its official utility/intended utility is very...
  2. Turbo

[Pandorum] This Decade's Event Horizon?

I saw Pandorum last night with my friend's groomsman brigade plus our dedicated audience member. It was freaky, original, engaged with the tropes and style of the space sf/horror films that have come before, and was rather well executed. It's hard to say too much without giving things away...
  3. Turbo

[Film and TV] Terminology question

What's the official term for the timestamp/location superimposed on the screen in tv or film. Like when they show a shot of an empty desert and super-impose the text: ROSWELL, NEW MEXICO 6:17 AM I bet euros v. dollars there is a specific term, but for the life of me I can't recall it.
  4. Turbo

[DitV] God Ain't The Only One In Town With Guns

Ah, gaming. It makes the heart sing songs of geekiness. Last night, we started playing Dogs in the Vineyard. As recomended, we started with collaborative character creation, so our Dogs would complement and conlfict in cool ways. We were set up for a short-term campaign in between the last game...
  5. Turbo

Exalted 2E: The Gates of Heaven

Here's my AP report from an Exalted tabletop game I'm running for some friends and as research for my thesis on RPGs. -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- I just ran my first Exalted game. I’d played Exalted twice before, one...
  6. Turbo

Gender in the Ghost in the Shell Movies

In my endless pursuit of academic excellence, I'm giving a paper on the construction and perception of gender in the worlds of Ghost in the Shell (the films and the Stand Alone Complex series, though my focus is mostly on the movies). Along the lines of the thread from a while back about Lord...
  7. Turbo

New Comics Day 3/22

I don't see a new comics day post for this week, so here we go: Noble Causes #18 - An interesting twist involving the relationship between the Nobles and the Blackthornes. Good action sequence in the middle. This comic is consistently good, though it's a little slow these days. It probably...
  8. Turbo

Eugene, OR - Player/GM looking for group

I'm a long-time RPG-er whose re-located to Eugene for my Master's work in Folklore at UofO. I haven't managed to find a tabletop group yet, and have been missing it. I've played/run the following games in the past, to great enjoyment: 7th Sea Abberant Adventure! Buffy the Vampire Slayer Blue...
  9. Turbo

Soliciting Reactions to LotR Movies

I'm doing a final project for a graduate folklore class on British Folklore and Mythology, and I'm looking to do fieldwork to support my textual analysis. Dear Moderators/Administrators: If this request for fieldwork responses is not--in your opinion(s)--appropriate for this forum, please let...
  10. Turbo

Nobilis + Evangelion Idea Thread?

I remember there was a thread a month or three ago about combining Nobilis and Evangelion, with the Evas as 'Weaponized Ideas' holding back the Excrucian/Zentraidi, Proto-culture as actual culture, explanation of the necessity of the city inside the SDF-1, and so on. Does anyone have a link to...
  11. Turbo

Eugene, OR - Looking for Group

I just moved to Eugene to get my Master's at the University of Oregon. I'm looking for a tabletop group, preferably one that's interested in fairly cinematic/narratively driven RP. And if there's a LARP crowd in town, I'd like to hear about that, too. I have played/want to play Star Wars...
  12. Turbo

Samurai 7 Is Awesome

I watched the first DVD of this at Kenshiro's yesterday with Joe and TaoCowboy. I am in awe of the sweetness. In fact, I have put aside my Lost-atar so that I could put up my Kikuchiyo avatar. I mean, he has a pipe wrench with a high slab of straight razor for a weapon! And the show maps...
  13. Turbo

Gamers in Eugene, OR?

I'm moving to Eugene this fall to start Grad School in Eugene at University of Oregon. This means I'll be leaving my gaming group, and I'm wandering who out of RPG.net dwells Eugene-ways. I've been gaming more than half of my 22 years, and have several well-established RPG.netters as...
  14. Turbo

New Comics Day 3/30

I guess the DC countdown thread kind of pre-empted this. Here's my meager stash. DC Countdown to Infininte Crisis - Holy Crap, man. Noble Causes #8 - One issue of this series a month is just not enough. Just not enough. Astonishing X-Men #9 - Danger Room goes nutso. Ultimates 2 #4 Ah, so...
  15. Turbo

[BSG Finale] Dude! (Spoilers, Ho!)

I just watched the season finale for the new BSG series. Spoilers will follow How long do I have to wait for the next season to start showing? Crimeny! In other news, the season finale rocks hardcore, so do not worry, ye who have not seen it yet :D
  16. Turbo

[BSG] Wherin Turbo joins the fandom

So, I watched the Miniseries yesterday after gettting the first series episode from the Sci Fi website. Today, I watched episodes 2-5. I am officially hooked on this show. Before I go any further, I would like to pause and make some notes. It's obvious that the people who do the special...
  17. Turbo

[LOST] 2/23 "...In Translation"

Finally, a Jin episode! Y'know, having now had the section in my class covering Korea, I have a better idea of the importance of Jin's parents being dead when he is asking for Sun's hand in marriage. And I wonder how things are going to fall out with Michael.
  18. Turbo

[Firefly] The Little Things

So I'm re-watching "Our Mrs. Reynolds", I noticed a tiny little touch that made me crack my stuff up. When Kaylee is comforting Saffron, saying "He [Mal] makes everybody cry," Jayne reaches out and comfort/rubs Saffron's shoulder with the back of his hand, in something that actually resembles...
  19. Turbo

Steam Annoyances

So I bought HL-2 Like every other red-blooded Computer game geek. Game is installed all nice and set, but I've gotten 'connection reset by peer' errors every time I've tried to register with Steam so I can actually play the game. Sigh. And I have to go to work in an hour. I was hoping to get...
  20. Turbo

New SW A New Hope Comment

Despite hearing hemming and hawing about the new DVDs, I realized I wanted the series in a format that wasn't bootleg Special Edition DVDs from Vietnam. So I picked up the new set and watched A New Hope. I actually really like the Han vs. Greedo 3.0. Why? Because it's an Iaijutsu duel with...
Top Bottom