• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

“Wouldn’t it be great if we had Race for the Galaxy but with birds?” - article in the NYT

AegonTheUnready

Friend to kittens everywhere
RPGnet Member
Validated User
An article in the NYT about the designer of the board game 'Wingspan'. It caught my eye with the caption “Wouldn’t it be great if we had Race for the Galaxy but with birds?”

COLLEGE PARK, Md. — The roseate spoonbill is roughly the size of a great blue heron, with the pink plumage of a flamingo and a giant spoon-shaped bill — “gorgeous at a distance and bizarre up close,” according to the Audubon Guide to North American birds. It is Elizabeth Hargrave’s favorite bird.

“Crazy bills get me,” she said on a recent sunny Saturday. Ms. Hargrave, a health-policy consultant in Silver Spring, Md., is an avid birder, and her favorite local winter birding spot is the Lake Artemesia Natural Area. Fringed with woods, the lake is artificial, excavated during the construction of Washington’s Green Line in the 1970s; in those days, the area was known as Lake Metro.

Setting out on a trail around the lake, bird guide close at hand, Ms. Hargrave had barely set up her scope when she spotted another species of her beloved crazy-billed birds: “Oh, fun!” She’d caught two northern shovelers, their beaks submerged, trawling for invertebrates. “There are diving ducks and dabbling ducks,” she said. “The northern shovelers are dabblers.”
Ms. Hargrave is more diver than dabbler. A spreadsheet geek with a master’s degree in public affairs, she spent more than a decade as a policy analyst with NORC at the University of Chicago. There, she studied, among other things, prescription drug trends for the report to Congress by the Medicare Payment Advisory Commission. She is now self-employed.

“I came for the social policy, wanting to help people,” she said. “But then, working in the field, I realized how much I also enjoy the crunchy analytics.”
And in her spare time, she’s been crossbreeding her analytics skills and her birding hobby to hatch something new: a board game, her first ever, about … birds. In “Wingspan,” published Friday by Stonemaier Games, players assign birds with various powers — represented by 170 illustrated cards, hand-drawn by two artists, Natalia Rojas and Ana Maria Martinez Jaramillo — to wetland, grassland and forest habitats
Wingspan is rated #1 new release on Amazon atm. Not cheap though at $150

more here
https://www.nytimes.com/2019/03/11/science/wingspan-board-game-elizabeth-hargrave.html

taleswapper

Social Justice Lazy Warlord
Validated User
An article in the NYT about the designer of the board game 'Wingspan'. It caught my eye with the caption “Wouldn’t it be great if we had Race for the Galaxy but with birds?”

more here
https://www.nytimes.com/2019/03/11/science/wingspan-board-game-elizabeth-hargrave.html
It looks like it's available elsewhere online for somewhere around $45 when it's in stock. I think that Amazon price you found was just price gougers taking advantage of the fact that it may not be in stock elsewhere.

Last edited:

Knaight

Validated User
I've played it, and the components definitely feel like a $40-$50 game. Those jumping to $150 when out of print is also hardly unusual.

As for quality, it's generally pretty fun, though I'd push back on the characterization of it as Race for the Galaxy but with birds. It's also got dice involved pretty significantly, pushing a bit more luck in.

Breogan

RPGnet Member
Validated User
What the hell? The game is being released later this month at 55 € here. I already pre-ordered it from my FLGS.

I really, really, REALLY hate that kind of bullshit. "Oh, I bought 3 copies and now I'm selling one for 3x the price". Well, then find some other buyer.

Breogan

RPGnet Member
Validated User
And the designer is all happy to have been mentioned in NYT... and then seeing Margaret Atwood tweet the NYT article.

Which you have to admit, is a difficult combo to top in "things to make you happy".

AegonTheUnready

Friend to kittens everywhere
RPGnet Member
Validated User
And the designer is all happy to have been mentioned in NYT... and then seeing Margaret Atwood tweet the NYT article.

Which you have to admit, is a difficult combo to top in "things to make you happy".
Margaret Atwood, really?! Nice...

Now I wonder if Atwood plays boardgames...

FoolishOwl

Validated User
It looks like it's available elsewhere online for somewhere around $45 when it's in stock. I think that Amazon price you found was just price gougers taking advantage of the fact that it may not be in stock elsewhere.
That makes sense. I once saw a minimalist version of Steve Jackson's OGRE listed for $200, when it says right on the package, $1.99, and the deluxe version was available for $50.

My partner enjoys birdwatching, and is often keen for family boardgames, so maybe I'll keep an eye out for this one.

EDIT: Come to think of it, someone might have just forgot the decimal point.

Last edited:

Knaight

Validated User
It's probably just a huge markup. I got Hansa Teutonica for about $30 new, and it jumped to $150 when out of print. That's about how it usually goes.

Top Bottom