• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

[0e] New LotFP DM looking for help with monster resources for 0e games

Anahit

Tía Madre Varonil
Validated User
Hey all,

I tried the magic google machine but didn't get far. I'm going to be running a LotFP game and honestly I'm kind of striking out when it comes to monsters.

Now the game suggests all monsters should be unique. I understand this. However, I have no real starting point because only 2 monsters are given stats in the game, and they aren't at all what I'm looking for. I would like to know if anyone has a trove of 0e monsters somewhere - under the Basic SRD or something? I'm talking your run-of-the-mill goblins, ogres, trolls, orcs, ghouls and the like. I'm just looking for some guidelines that are somewhat more concrete.

I do appreciate any feedback...

Captain Deadpool

I'm an assassi... Horse Trainer
Banned
Validated User
The AD&D1E Monster Manual has OD&D stats because it was the first of the set printed and is readily available on Amazon (all printings have identical text)

http://www.amazon.com/Official-Advanced-Dungeons-Dragons-Monster/dp/0935696008/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1311358383&sr=8-1

I recommend Raggi's own Random Esoteric Creature Generator for use in generating unique beasties:

http://www.amazon.com/Random-Esoteric-Creature-Generator-Misc/dp/0981865739/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1311358443&sr=8-1

There is also a reference online for monster stats but has no actual monster info (CDD#1, bear in mind later AD&D monsters are mixed in)

http://rpggeek.com/rpgitem/88333/old-school-monster-statblock-reference

Last edited:

smathis

Retired User
I also recommend Raggi's Esoteric Creature Generator for LotFP. Simple Man's other suggestions are good too.

Other resources I found helpful were C&C's Monsters & Treasure. The stats are about right for LotFP characters. Maybe a little on the beefy side but that just makes things more dangerous, which suits me fine for LotFP.

I've also used 4e monsters with a fairly light conversion. A fun experiment. Preferable, IMO, to old-school stat blocks.

SteamPulp

Old School Radical
Validated User
I also recommend Raggi's Esoteric Creature Generator for LotFP. Simple Man's other suggestions are good too.
I third this! I plan on using the ECG when writing up my "Land of Nod" module. Inspired by a painting in the Grindhouse Edition I want to do a story that combines Lovecraft and "The Village" set in a colonial time.

Melan

Radio Free Internet
Validated User
This has just come up on the Chateau des Sortileges blog: Grenadier's 32 page Monster Manuscript, a 1986 knockoff of the 1st edition AD&D Monster Manual, right down to the layout and pseudo-Trampier artwork. It is really cool because it could be an "alternate dimension" monster book - the weird monsters are perfectly like the 1e AD&D classics, but they are just a bit off, just a bit stranger with a new spin. So, very much in keeping with LotFP. Here are a few samples I found neat:

I'd be sorely tempted to run a mini-campaign where these are the monsters, and the standard D&D beasts are out. :cool:

MisterGuignol

Banned
There's some sample monsters and a Weird monster generator in the free pdf LotFP fan supplement in my sig. Hope they help and I don't mean to shill!

Captain Deadpool

I'm an assassi... Horse Trainer
Banned
Validated User
I'm talking your run-of-the-mill goblins, ogres, trolls, orcs, ghouls and the like. I'm just looking for some guidelines that are somewhat more concrete.
Ok, one other thing (because my first post was useful and answered the question)

The point that Raggi was making is that goblins, ogres, trolls, orcs, ghouls, and the like shouldn't be run-of-the-mill. If you want creatures to be special and unboring, one of the first steps is making it to where the party doesn't run into them over and over again. Even with the usefulness of the RECG, it's main use is building a big bad lone beastie to tear PC faces off. If you want said beastie to have minions and worshppers, humans are good for that. An entire dungeon full of RECG monsters not only misses the point, but actually makes the randomness boring!

LotFP really doesn't seem to be the place for monster races or standard random-monsters-guarding-pie dungeon formats.

Anywho, I will step down from my soapbox now

Philotomy Jurament

Validated User
You can use just about any TSR D&D or retro-clone monster book. D&D Creature Catalog. AD&D Monster Manual, Fiend Folio, et cetera. OSRIC Monsters of Myth. OSRIC Malevolent and Benign. S&W Tome of Horrors. Swords & Wizardry Monster Book.

Top Bottom