#1: Gathering the Fellowship

Nalanod

Frail and bedazzled
I just wanted to say thank you for this informative and well-needed column.

I have worked in student activities for over eight years, most of those years directly involved with clubs and organizations, and it always surprised me that students just were not aware of the freedom they had in starting a gaming club.

I also wanted to add that the professional staff advisers can also lessen the paperwork and confusion of establishing such a group. Every campus is different, but check with the student activity office for a start. There will often be someone there willing to guide you through the paperwork, hand out example constitution templates, or point you toward a staff adviser.

Kid Twist

Validated User
Thanks for the kind words. =) The professional staff are indeed very helpful, and are an excellent resource throughout. I hope to make this clearer in future articles, but for forming the club, the student activities office should be able to help you through the process step by step. I will say, though, that the advisor search has always been difficult, list of possible candidates or no. This is usually because, as I mention in the article, there just aren't that many full-time faculty who are interested in advising such a group. Even if they are, there are few willing to take the time to be an active advisor, which such a group really needs. It's sad, but it's unfortunately the situation many clubs find themselves in.

Nalanod

Frail and bedazzled
The adviser search can be difficult. My capacity at Purdue was an official program coordinator and adviser, so students often came to me with the really fringe ideas ("Fans of Radiohead Club" comes to mind).

I would also suggest looking through the faculty news and pouncing on the new hires -- you should be able to gather good leads on who might already be inclined to play some RPGs.

Lastly, there are often more clubs that there are advisers. The Student Activity office might be able to point you at a prof or administrator with a "hands off" approach to advising a few groups. If you keep up with your paperwork and jump through the hoops with minimal supervision, this is the person for you.

Don't forget that most large universities already have gaming clubs, so, before you start another, meet with the existing group and decide they are a bunch of slack-jawed losers before doing all that paperwork.

Top Bottom