• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

101 D&D Monsters Most Likely To Have Been Created By Cocaine Wizards

Terhali

Weird and pissed off
Validated User
Yes and no. It was inspired by an old grimoire (as the page I linked pointed out), but it changed considerably in the adaptation from a highly intelligent demon lord to a not very intelligent species of magical beasts with a habit of rolling over people. Even the name was changed. The monster that opened this thread--the owlbear--began life as a kaiju toy.

DMH

Master of Mutant Design
Validated User
Cocaine Wizard really needs to be an OSR character class.
There are several, the best of the lot is: https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/128029/The-Complete-Vivimancer though one of the schools in The Nameless Grimoire is a close second: https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/226085/The-Nameless-Grimoire (keep in mind the latter is for The Nightmares Underneath and has non-standard OSR terminology, but it is still awesome)

Cocaine wasn't involved, but 2e had Merlanes, the wizard kit responsible for all these wierdass monsters.
As much as I love the vivimancer, the merlane still has a place in my heart. Not because it was the first biomancer I read, but because its spells are still useful and awesome. Teratism III has so much potential for making really bizarre creatures.

Another creation of cocaine wizards- humans. Elven wizards created this weirdly diverse humanoids long ago because they wanted something other than the dreadfully static elves and dwarves to interact with. Humans were created to be unlike any other species on the planet and they still retain that unique feature.

junglefowl26

Validated User
It is interesting that although some prominent monsters are said to have been made by wizards, actually making them is limited to supplements. Though, as DMH has shown, there are a lot of options for doing so once you dig around.

http://willsaveworldforgold.com/

Here, the origin of Owlbears is Feywild Politics - the son of the houses of Owls and Bears has started his own House, and thus Owlbears have come into existence...
...Oh man, I had read that comic before, but stopped at some point - I wonder if I subconsciously remembered this bit of lore and didn't realize it.

Crinos

Next to me you're all number two!
Validated User
Sure that's an owlbear? Looks like a perfectly respectable therizinosaur to me. Maybe not Beipiaosaurus, but a relative.

Third edition Illustrations were.... special.

Compare to pathfinder owlbears, which look like what you'd expect a cross between an owl and a bear to look.

More interesting trivia. Something that was pointed out to me on Tumblr: What do you call baby owlbears? Are they chicks or cubs? Neither! They're Chubs!

Sleeper

Red-eyed dust bunny
Validated User
More interesting trivia. Something that was pointed out to me on Tumblr: What do you call baby owlbears? Are they chicks or cubs? Neither! They're Chubs!
If we call them cubicks instead, we can say they're born in perfectly square eggs, which fit in the perfectly square holes in the giant incubator on Mechanus.

Some cocaine wizards manage to hold down regular jobs, where they have to wear perfectly pressed robed and submit daily status reports. At least for a while....

junglefowl26

Validated User
Personally, I liked the screecher from the owlbear art design article (sadly gone, taking many interesting owlbear designs with it)

Thornhammer

More Ullish in Hue
Validated User
Frankie the Flumph. A really really big flumph who owns and operates the single biggest pot farm in the entirety of the Realms. All of his employees are smaller flumphs who are all related. They are all named Floyd. “Hi, I’m Floyd, this is my wife Floyd. These are my children Floyd, Floyd, Floyd, and Floyd.”

They sell very high quality weed.

-Thornhammer

David Howery

Validated User
Frankie the Flumph. A really really big flumph who owns and operates the single biggest pot farm in the entirety of the Realms. All of his employees are smaller flumphs who are all related. They are all named Floyd. “Hi, I’m Floyd, this is my wife Floyd. These are my children Floyd, Floyd, Floyd, and Floyd.”

They sell very high quality weed.

-Thornhammer
I actually did use a flumph (sort of ) in an adventure... it also had giant space hamsters, all those weird variants of them, and a few I made up. My working title for it was "Mechahamster vs. the Great Black Flumph of Doom". As you might guess, it was a less-than-serious one shot...

That Other Guy

Validated User
I have an idea to have magically created/mutated creatures just be an active thing in the world (rather than just something that supposedly happened long ago), and I really want to have Hydric Cygnets - that is to say, Large sized, multiheaded, regenerating, super strong guard swans for a particularly dramatic and ostentatious bad guy and their island fortress

Top Bottom