🎨 Creative 101 freshly-picked fantasy flowers and related seeds

Dalillama

Validated User
We can probably nick a couple from the genetically engineered plants thread. I'll probably think of more eventually, I got personal stuff going on atm

MoonHunter

Game Guru-Thread Shepherd
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Stuff happens. Post when you can.

I only have one idea floating out there. I have to wrangle through another tough post to provide the fundamentals for my next flora post. It is a Mecha/ Transformer lifeform with guilt over wiping out one or more biospheres. It then replaces lost biologies with biomech forms. So where the ecology has been destroyed and abandoned, new life made of machines replaces it. Or something like that.

Dalillama

Validated User
Adapted from folklore:

80) Fire-apples: Actually resemble pomegranates more closely, having a dark red rind. When peeled, they are found to contain red-hot coals rather than fruit.

81)Poet's Tree: The bitter-tasting leaves of this tree grant great elocution, for a limited time.

82)Prospector's Daisy, AKA Treasure flower, Metalwort
These flowers grow in a profusion of colours, though usually only one in a given patch. The colour indicates what sort of metal (refined or ore) is to be found nearest that patch, and those skilled in herbology may be able to glean information about distance and direction from them. Multicoloured patches indicate multiple metal sources at equivalent distances. Their relatives size determines the proportion of coloured flowers.

83)Blasting-root aka Key root, Burglar's weed
I can't improve on this:
The Folk-lore of Plants by T. F. Thiselton Dyer said:
whatever lock is touched by it must yield. It is no easy matter to find this magic plant, but, according to a piece of popular folk-lore, it is obtained by means of the woodpecker. When this bird visits its nest, it must have been previously plugged up with wood, to remove which it goes in search of the spring-wort. On holding this before the nest the wood shoots out from the tree as if driven by the most violent force. Meanwhile, a red cloth must be placed near the nest, which will so scare the woodpecker that it will let the fabulous root drop.
83)Cloth-of-gold, aka Stormleaf, Druidwort
If this plant is cut with steel or any base metal, a dreadful storm will immediately gather, which devastates the nearby area. If it is cut with a sickle of silver or gold and brewed into an infusion with the proper rites, the drinker will understand the speech of beasts and birds for some time thereafter.

MoonHunter

RPGnet Member
Validated User
84) Navin Trees

As trees go, these are short and scrawny. They grow quickly and die after 20 years. The leaves are small for a tree. It flowers intensely in the spring with small white to white grey cherry blossom like flowers; by midsummer there is a "snow" around them as they drop. They have a cinnamon like scent if they are in need of water, which is often by midsummer in most places they grow. Navin trees are not cultivated near homes or other crops as they are very flammable. If they get very dry, they are inflammable. Navin bark, which is peeled off trees in layers (which does not hurt the tree unless done to excess), makes a spicy tea (with a touch of sweet) with energizing properties (good for keeping up the ya (spirit)). The bark, tea, spice (fresh or dried), and flowers are often used for magic spells and preparations with connotations of energy, spirit, and fire.

This is an independent entry. I need to do another one for the previous post to do the gauntlet challenge.

Dalillama

Validated User
85)Gemwood Pines
The sap of these slender fir trees dries and hardens in a matter of days into a gemlike consistency. The amber thus produced can be carved and shaped, or the liquid resin can be poured into moulds to harden. The coating of amber that develops on the bark makes these pines extremely difficult to cut, and once cut there is a very short window in which it can be easily worked before the inner sap also hardens. There are still artisans willing to pay premium prices to those who will take the effort to cut them, as the polished amber finish is unique in the world.

Dalillama

Validated User
86)Carniflower aka Bonebush, Fleshnut
The nuts of this rank-smelling bush are long ovoids, off-white in colour, and have shells as hard as bone. Which in fact they are. The meat inside is muscle and fat, tasting almost like pork. A (humanoid) skull-shaped nodule in the centre is the actual seed.

MoonHunter

RPGnet Member
Validated User
I'll probably think of more eventually, I got personal stuff going on atm
Stuff happens. Post when you can.
And what happens? A veritable bloom of posts. Dang...

Okay, so here is the one I owe for yesterday. I had it all ready to go and

87) Creature Bush - aka Omna Bushes

Most beasts are actually omnivores, not pure carnivores; while they prefer meat they will eat the occasional berry or plant. However, it has been noted that dangerous magical beasts (who seem to exist on meat or magic) will only eat of The Creature Bush.

Note: these creatures then spread a few of the seeds by scat, which turn into new bushes... crowding out other plants. You can tell you are near the lair of a creature by the presence of these bushes. You can tell it is still nearby by the lack of pods.

Monks of the Yellow Way will cultivate Omna bushes (the domesticated Creature Bush) in their out of the way temple gardens. These Monks (and most Monks of The Way) do not eat meat. They eat Omna bush pods and beans. They also make a curious "cheese like/ cheddared" product out of the beans. They say that the beans provide "the strength of meat" (protein) without disrespecting the spirit of animals. They also state that the Omna helps keep spirit and magic channels clear and the mind focuses (handy for magic use).

What the monks say of it does explain why creatures eat the pods and seeds of the plant. They are animals supported by magic and flesh, and the creaturebush can do that.

On a historical note: It is said the ancient Pegoran were the first to domesticate Creature Bushes/ Omna. Their military would eat it in (ground as flour and baked into their travel bread). The Old Empire used to add said flour for their travel bread in the early campaigns. Eventually they opted to go with an all wheat flour to make the nobles plantation owners in the Rhyle valleys happy.

MoonHunter

RPGnet Member
Validated User
85b) Elf Gem Trees

Another of those posts that were in the chute, but didn't come out in time. So what I had is....

Elves don't mine and certainly don't trade much with The Dwarves. Where do they get their gems and jewels. Some say magic. It is, sort of. Treeshaping.

The tree can be tapped by insects or by a treeshaper. It creates small bubbles of sap/resin. After a time a tree looks like it is studded in jewels. This is not just the bark. The leaves will often sweat sap on the broad leaves. This makes the leaves glisten and sparkle in the sun.

The tree can be gem harvested. Just before the fall, the leaves can be collected before they drop. Once dissolved, the leaves release their glittery little jems.

The color of the sap/resin changes a bit by season or by taint or tool that taps the tree.

Elf Gems are considered somewhat valuable outside Elven Lands because of their rarity and the fact that most people do not realize what they are made of.

Next is 88

Dalillama

Validated User
88)Bitterheart Root
Is a sweet, slightly spicy root that is rarely used. Consuming Bitterheart Root has the opposite effect of a love potion: when eaten, all feeling towards the person the eater loves the most will be erased from heart and mind forever.

Felix

RPGnet Member
Validated User
89) Chameleon Blossoms
Camouflage is a great way for a flower to avoid being eaten. This naturally occurring (or possibly just very lightly magical) flower has some sort of rudimentary pigment sensors which cause it to blend into the background very well. But what's more impressive is its complex chemical receptors. When a large quantity of herbivores that might strip its blooms are in the area, it begins to emit aromas and change its form so that it looks like a bloom to avoid. In this form, it might be mistaken for toxic mistletoe or poison ivy.

89b) Secret Language Flowers
There's rosemary, that's for remembrance; pray,
love, remember: and there is pansies. that's for thought

Ophelia might be mad when she says this, but flowers were always assumed to have a meaning. If you've played Nobilis, the meaning of flowers is part of character generation.

When camouflage blossoms are enchanted/genetically blended with a psionic gene/whatever works for your campaign, they can be made to change their form according to a thought. A popular way for spies and lovers to communicate is to leave a Secret Language Flower in a prearranged spot, and to think what it should turn into at an appropriate time. Most of the time, passersby will likely miss the nearly invisible bloom, but when your lover walks by and sees a yellow rose, they'll understand the message.

Top Bottom