• Don't link to the video of the Christchurch shooting, or repost links to the shooter's manifesto.

🎨 Creative 101 heroic acronym organizations, a la '60s spy shows

Terhali

Weird and pissed off
Validated User
Interesting, thanks! Don't know if I'll use any of that in the game, but I will read the history for my own curiosity.
Among other things, FEAR planned to poison the US apple crop. Seeing as how apples are the emblematically patriotic fruit (Johnny Appleseed! As American as Mom and apple pie!), poisoning them is the sort of fiendish plot I would have expected from cartoon supervillains cackling with glee. When FEAR hit the news, my ability to distinguish between reality and fiction may have been broken.

E-Rocker

Validated User
Among other things, FEAR planned to poison the US apple crop. Seeing as how apples are the emblematically patriotic fruit (Johnny Appleseed! As American as Mom and apple pie!), poisoning them is the sort of fiendish plot I would have expected from cartoon supervillains cackling with glee. When FEAR hit the news, my ability to distinguish between reality and fiction may have been broken.
That does sound very much like something COBRA would do on GI Joe. It would be funny if it wasn't so sad and scary.

T. Canoehead

IT Mercenary
Validated User

MoonHunter

Game Guru-Thread Shepherd
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Among other things, FEAR planned to poison the US apple crop. Seeing as how apples are the emblematically patriotic fruit, poisoning them is the sort of fiendish plot I would have expected from cartoon supervillains cackling with glee. When FEAR hit the news, my ability to distinguish between reality and fiction may have been broken.
To be honest, it is with only a little irony that many bookstores put technothrillers, near future sci-fi, cyberpunk, and post apoc near future books together in the current events sections.

Chris Goodwin

fruity oaty bar!
Validated User
There's two with the same acronym, one I created and the other I did not.

First Universal Congress of Knowledgeable and ERudite Scientists

Fraternal Union of Cyclists, Killers, Enforcers, and Road Scum

And, from a game I'm running at GameStorm: Global Task Force Omega vs. the World Terror Front

Slickpuppy

Another Gentleman Loser
Validated User
My old super-hero campaign had a SHIELD expy known as CLASSIC: The Central Logistics, Advanced Special Services and Intervention Command.

csyphrett

Validated User
I don't think the FIRM was an acronym. I think it was a nickname like how the CIA is called the Company.

Also ICE started in the Matt Helm books. Helm was codenamed Eric and was essentially an American James Bond where he was tasked with killing people for the government. The books from what I remember of them now 30 years away from when I read them were a lot grimmer than the movies.
CES

E-Rocker

Validated User
I like the idea of an organization that started out as something completely unrelated, and part of their name reflects their old purpose. To that end, we have the villainous organization SOVEREIGN.

Secretaries of Vengeance, Eternally REIGNing.

Top Bottom