• Don't link to the video of the Christchurch shooting, or repost links to the shooter's manifesto.

🎨 Creative 101 spells for urban fantasy?

Accelerator

Banned
Validated User
So yeah, I've been thinking of making an urban fantasy story. So... one thing I realised is that most of the spells in normal fantasy would be somewhat ill-suited to the environment within modern cities.

Samples spells:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/11I0xCPgAS3ZhxGvTlBoePOuaDqgpyWs13jVKhJ4c8hM/edit

So the purpose of this thread is spells that can fit inside a modern, advanced world, yet be... magicky. Don't just give me fireballs.

1) Charm machine

The sorcerer casts the spell, and the machine spirit within the technology comes alive and sapient. It can range from pulleys, cars, trolleys, to tanks, computers, and atms. The sorcerer can not only talk to the machine to find out more (Yeah, can you give me that guy's password details?) but they can also order it about. A charmed laptop can act as a rudimentary A.I., trawling through the net for articles on a certain topic, and a car can act as an excellent hit and run assassin.

Dalillama

Validated User
GURPS Technomancer has a ton of these, most of which are also in the Grimoire and the 4e version of Magic.

Accelerator

Banned
Validated User
Huh. Cool.

2) Searching the urban landscape

The mage casts a spell, and a window (computer window!) opens up before him, with buttons, gauges, maps, and cursors atop of it. Manipulating it, he can find anything within a particular urban area, depending on distance and scarcity. It is nearly impossible to find a nuclear bomb, hidden by factions before the Final War, buried deep in a cellar. And it is easier to find the junkyard and library, where you can get scrap metal for making machines and books to burn. Or, say, find clean water in a place where a chemical spill has occurred, or a place to set rat traps.

SunlessNick

Mildly Darkened One
Validated User
3. Navigate. Mages probably have spells for finding their way in all kinds of environments, but a city shouldn't be an exception.

4. Door into Memory. Allows the user to step into a recreation of a past era of the area, based on the collective spiritual memory. It's not the actual past - more like the ghost of a time period, and may have more conventional ghosts in it too - inhabitants can be interacted with, but it takes some effort to pull them out of reenacting the lives they lived. (Mages may disagree on whether the spell creates these echoes, or whether they exist independently and the spell simply accesses them).

Accelerator

Banned
Validated User
5) Cyberspace

I think there should be a spell that lets you walk through the internet. Internet links are roads. Firewalls, are locked doors. Antivirus, are cops and sentries. Also, you can bend the rules. Don't have a password? Try out your lock picking skill. Computer is airgapped? Just jump across the chasm.

phred

Validated User
Summon Magma Kraken, of course. ;)

6) Don't Look at Me

It doesn't make you invisible; it just makes you appear completely unremarkable/mundane so that anyone scanning a crowd of people won't notice you.
Very helpful for following people. (George Smiley has this ability in John le Carre's novels)

Top Bottom